Nearly there…

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FMac, Dec 6, 2021.

1. FMac

FMac New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi folks,

Thanks for letting me join.

Based in Aberdeen, NE Scotland, placed a deposit on my bike (2003 VFR800A) at the weekend getting it delivered in 7-10 days…

Been a VFR fan since the mid 80s when I first saw and heard a VFR400 NC21

Slainte

Thumbs likes this.
  2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and Welcome to the Madhouse:Welcome:

A 6th Gen bike is a great choice for your first VFR and finding an early one fitted with ABS is a rare beast which should be good for many hundreds of Miles if well maintained - my old 6th Gen was well past 200,000 and running like new when I sold it to buy an 8th Gen.

The real weak spot is the charging system so definitely check with the seller to see if the Regulator/Rectifier has ever been replaced - ideally with a Shindegen RR.

Honda eventually fixed the charging system problems for the 7th and 8th Gen models, but if an upgraded RR has not been fitted to your bike it is probably worth spending a few quid on a cheapo digital voltmeter (sort you can pick up for buttons on TheBay). They are rarely super accurate but should allow you to quickly get to know what volts are normal and allow you to then spot if voltage suddenly rises or falls alarmingly and give you a chance to head for some place safe before the energy left in the battery is drained and you join the hoardes of VFR owners who have been stranded by electrical Gremlins. This thread tells you all you need to know... https://vfrworld.com/threads/the-drill.52131/

The other thing you will quickly discover is these bikes are heavy and especially for lighter/shorter riders they can quickly go beyond the point of no return and take a nap, hence if the fairings are still in good condition many owners have opted to fit decent tip over protection bobbins. This thread tells you all you need to know.. https://vfrworld.com/threads/you-dropped-it-how-many-time.44298/

We look forward to seeing photos when your early Christmas present? bike finally arrives! It is easy to post photos - just click the "upload a file" link and follow the prompts to select and upload an image from your computer.

Don't tell me you bought your VFR from Shirlaws. - They are brilliant and I managed to pick up a barely used 2020 Street Triple from them at a bargain price which was in almost brand new condition and now resident in the Alps.

Have fun and don't forget ATGATT.

do dheagh shlàinte - SkiMad

FMac likes this.
  3. FMac

FMac New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi SkiMad,

Bike arrived last Monday but apart from a quick run round the block when they delivered it I haven’t had time (or daylight :) ) to look at it. Didn’t buy from Shirlaw’s (now Triumph & Kawasaki dealers and owned by Gillander’s motors) the local Honda dealer is Ecosse Motorcycles who also have the Royal Enfield franchise. No Suzuki or Yamaha dealers locally…

Plastics look mint and service history is every year (even the last few years when the bike only did 5-600 miles pa). Bike’s had some work done to it - double bubble screen and there’s Maxton stickers on the forks. Thanks for the links you included. Looking forward to giving it a good clean and check over sometime over the next few weeks.

The council have started salting the roads this week so a bit gutted thatI’ve not had a decent run on it yet and probably won’t this side of 2022.

Slainté

F

4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    A Holliday time welcome from the new world side of the pond!

We love photos so when you are able to.........