Near-death experience on the VFR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by elwray, Mar 22, 2010.

1. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Friday night around 9PM, I had just finished chasing down a coolant leak and buttoned everything back up, except for the side fairings. Decided I should take her for a ride to let her warm up and see if anything was leaking.

So, I pulled out onto my road, which is a 2 lane semi-rural county route, Speed Limit 50mph.

It was a nice clear, warm night about 50°F so I was on the lookout primarily for deer which run across the road constantly this time of year.

Up a considerable distance ahead of me, I see two cars stopped with their hazards on. Didn't think much of it since it was so far in the distance. So I kept motoring along at 50mph, watching for deer and potholes and road hazards.

Then out of NOWHERE I see a black wire across the road, from the ground at the center line to my left, running up to the telephone pole to my right. Just at head level. It was about 10' from me, coming at my head at 50mph. I guess it was too high for the headlights to pick up.

Good thing I've been trying to practice "emergency" maneuvering with the local potholes, so my first instinct was duck and dip to the right. I did this, and I hear a loud SLAP!

At this point I'm pretty shook up and ride right past the stopped cars that were ahead of me looking for a place to stop and gather myself (narrow wooded road). About a quarter mile up a shoulder finally starts so I pull over and hop off the bike, first checking that my arms, legs, and head were still attached -- check. Then I go over the bike. Apparently the slap I heard was the wire slamming into my left mirror and folding it back against the bike. Tiny scratch on it, and that's the only place it hit.

I then turn around and look at the stopped cars -- one is wrapped around the telephone pole which apparently pulled the wire loose from 3 or 4 poles back. So I call the police to report it, they are already on their way. I straighten out the mirror and ride back home.

Had I been riding a foot to the left, or not dipped when I did, I'm pretty sure that wire would have caught me right under the chin.

So there's something to be said about wearing the proper gear, for situations like this. I suppose it doesn't matter how much skill you have as a rider or how aware you are of your surroundings -- there's not really much way to prepare for something crazy like that. Luckily I didn't have to test it, but I'm glad I had my helmet and leather jacket on. Now it's time to shop for pants, I think...

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    sounds like it's time to shop for some new drawers, too. whew! that's some scary shit...

3. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Are there VFRW boxers available in the store?? :lol:

4. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    " So there's something to be said about wearing the proper gear, for situations like this. I suppose it doesn't matter how much skill you have as a rider or how aware you are of your surroundings -- there's not really much way to prepare for something crazy like that. Luckily I didn't have to test it, but I'm glad I had my helmet and leather jacket on. Now it's time to shop for pants, I think..."

Amen to that. You reacted right and saved your ass. It's called good luck. With some skill thrown in. I'll take good luck any day over skill. Now you can sit down and ponder life for awhile.

5. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

DANM! Elwray, you are too lucky for words. Nice reflexes. You'ld be a good guy to have in a gunfight.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    So you went out on Friday but didn't join us on our Sunday ride? Real nice....

Just kidding of course, bud. Glad you are OK

7. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Haha, Sunday was a VTX day down the shore for a meet. I'll be riding with ya'll on the VFR this season, don't worry ;)

8. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Glad your Ok. Could of been worse it sounds like, so nothing to loose your head over.

Makes me wonder about safety gear. Had the only option been to lay it down, would a person avoid that at their own peril, without the proper gear? For all of you non safety guys, it's something to wrap your head around.

9. mark123

mark123 New Member

Close one ! Glad your OK

10. Chuckman49

Chuckman49 New Member

Damn bro, just read your post. WOW! Glad you're OK! Obviously you kept your "head" about you huh? OK OK, bad joke...

11. Booyah

Booyah New Member

United States
    Map
    Holy reflexes batman! Are you sure you aren't a ninja elwray?... either way glad to hear you and your machine are okay.

12. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    You did very well but one thing.....Did you go check on the driver in the car that hit the pole??

That driver could have needed your help. Their life could depend on first aid. It is up to you.

13. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Ray,

You should be purchasing loto tickets. This truly was your day. I don't think there is gear out there that could prevent the possible eventuality I am about to explain but none the less. ATGATT.

About 30 years ago a very young off roader was riding his bike along an old logging road in Nanaimo British Columbia seems innocent enought. It was a decommissioned logging road and not used. It was late dusk almost dark. He didn't see the cable across the road. And he never saw anything again. He was decapitated. Sad to be sure.

And around that time, same place, another off roader was riding along another logging road and for whatever reason flew off his bike. I don't remember what happened there. But he went into the hospital to be checked out and he was released. A short time later, not sure how long, he died. He had a broken neck.

There is some dangerous shit out there folks. Lets be careful.

Ray. Super happy to hear you made out OK. I am sure there is a lesson here somewhere, even if you don't recognize it, that will serve you well in the future too.

Ride on Bro....Ride on!

14. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    As soon as I pulled the bike over and checked myself over, I called the local PD. They told me they were aware of the situation and officers were already en route. In fact, as soon as I got my helmet on and turned around, two police cars were already at the scene. Everyone was already out of their cars walking around.

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Damn Dude..If you had been looking at your GPS and talkin to your SO on your radio, you could have raised giving head to a whole new level.

16. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    you ARE batman. and I dont mean it sarcasticly. well done mr. wray.

17. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Wow............That is close, I am glad you made it out. Thanks for sharing

18. engraym

engraym New Member

United States
    Map
    Very Final Destination'ish" chain of events! Glad the only thing that got hurt with a nick on the mirror Elwray.

19. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    sooo...how much time went by before it would have been possible to cram a needle up your butt?

20. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    10 times better than Imodium, seriously.