NC. To Deals Gap April 16th-19th

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by Ghost, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    Hello all,
    I have a few guys with me here in mid NC, that are going to Deals Gap April 17 through 19th. Some of us are going to arrive the night of the 16th. “Two4one” is holding his trip the 14th through the 17th. I plan to meet up with them before they go. We will be staying at the Microtel in Robinsville. Anyone interested in going with us, local to this area, please send me a PM, and I will dole out my cell number. We will meet up in Kernersville/Winston Salem on the 16th, and head down. ~4 to 5 hrs. (we plan to take our time getting there)

All this, obviously, if the weather holds out.

2. bluespecv03

bluespecv03 New Member

3. jwnaron

jwnaron New Member

Man I would love to head up there with you guys, but I'm moving the 1st of May and might be tied up with that crap during my next couple of weekends.

4. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    Bumped.

Anyone else near the NC / Ten / SC area interested?

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I'm a maybe. I can meet you in the southern entrance of deal's gap. Right now it depends on what my schedule is then.

6. jwnaron

jwnaron New Member

So my buddy and I are considering meeting up with you guys for this ride. We were going to make this ride last year, but it got too cold before we were able to make the trip.
    My bro rides a VTX 1300C and wants to ride, but doesn't want to bring up the ass end of a racy group of VFR riders. So would this ride be conducive to a VTX rider as well?

Any thoughts on staying at the Two Wheel Inn? I also have heard good things about this place?

7. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    Not a problem for the VTX. I'll offer this, last time I went to DG, it was October 23rd. (You can check out the web pictures from dealsgap.com if you like), anyway, when we left it was near 38°F, when we arrived in Robinsville it was 18°F. The next day it was 46°F... and we were lovin' it the whole time. We had two other bikes with us that were not street bikes, one boulevard, and one VTX with big saddle bags etc.

At times, we will run up on other bikers goin slow, cruiser bikes, cars, trucks, so your buddy doesnt need to be concerned over laggin a bit.

I like the Microtel cause its cheap, and its at the "start" of the dragons tail. I like the drive across the dam, and the run in the valley...

8. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Ghost, we'll have to coordinate. Not sure if you saw our intended routes in my "Southern" post.

For all you who visit the area with a large group, make sure you check out the Ridge, the Point and the Treetops for your lodging needs. The resorts are owned by Ron and Nancy Johnson, owners of tailofthedragon.com. Each resort has different amentities but I think they all include a hot tub and garage. Here's the biggest perk...the resorts are located at the base of the Cherohala Skyway. Every morning you roll out of the driveway and onto the greatest stretch of road possible.

Here's more info: Treetops and The Ridge Vacation Rental, Graham County NC 828-479-8400 - we normally stay at the Ridge with the huge garage but have also stayed at the Treetops. $200.00 a head for the week, hard to beat for the amentities.

My GoPro is mounted and ready to record tons of action. Can't wait...

9. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    Yes, sir. I posted in your thread a couple times as well, I believe you are going the 14th through the 17th. I will be getting in the 16th, and staying the weekend, and leaving the 19th. Damn, the Ridge, Point and Treetops are NICE! Problem is, Im really not gonna be staying at the hotel much to enjoy the costs of those amenities… I think im good with my $59.99/night.

I’ll PM you my cell number, so we can hook up. I got 5 maybe 6 guys goin with me. Still workin on more.

10. bluespecv03

bluespecv03 New Member

I loved the Two Wheel Inn. Im not sure how much Microtel is, but Two Wheel Inn is 60/night for one person, or 70 for two, and you get a nice room and a garage attached to each room that can fit two bikes. Also, the owners are very nice!

11. jwnaron

jwnaron New Member

ok, we would love to meet up with you guys but, probably will not be able to leave until Friday the 17th.

We would probably stay at the Two Wheel Inn if it is the same price or close.

It is looking as if we are going to leave the 17th around noon and arrive at The Two Wheel Inn between 5 and 7pm. I can give you my cell phone# or email address if you guys would like to get up once we get up there.

12. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    i might be able to make it, me and joey could meet up and ride up there together :thumbsup:

13. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    We wont be doing the entire Snake, but we will do the part here in NC on our way back.

US Route 421, KY, VA, TN, and NC

LOL! I cant believe there is a wiki for Highway 8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Highway_8

This was the best I could do for you for reg map of highway 8 in NC

Map of Winston-Salem, NC by MapQuest

Basically my route looks like this.
    Leave from W-S and head up Highway 8
    Pick up Highway 89 to 77S
    77S to 421E
    421E to the Blue Ridge Parkway S
    Blue Ridge Parkway S to 40W
    40W to Highway 19W/74
    Highway 19W/74 to 441S then back to 19W/74 (jog)
    Highway 19W/74 to Highway 129 (Dragon)

After that we’re gonna hit the Skyway

14. bluespecv03

bluespecv03 New Member

Two Wheel Inn is 2 miles from the Microtel. Same price and a garage too! Can't see why anyone would stay elsewhere.

15. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    sorry guys, I have to back out for this weekend. No rear tire in time. I will go the weekend after. April 24-26th