My New 05 VFR

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Hotbrakes, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    The stars have aligned and allowed me to sell my cruiser yesterday that I have been trying to get rid of on and off for a year, and pick up this beautiful 05 VFR with 797 miles TODAY!

So, as a new owner, I would like to enlist the help of all you salty owners and give me some tips on setting this thing up such as simple mods and where to find the must have accessories at the best price.

I did a search for some things already such as the PAIR valve mod.

What kind of bags are the best and where do I get them?
    Are helibars a must have for long rides? (>500 miles)
    Is a K&N filter the right choice with some good pipes? Or will stock suffice as it does on my VTR?
    What the F*** do I do with that thingy the license plate dangles from and where's a good spot to move it?
    Are the stock Bridgestones decent for "aggressive" riding?
    Do steering stabilizers help?
    How bout steering dampeners?
    Corbin seat?

I know I could find all this if I spent hours searching and reading, and I DID some searching and found a little info. I would greatly appreciate everyone's input on helping me set up my new steed.

THANKS!

2. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Oh, I almost forgot...Here she is.

Attached Files:

• VFR.bmp
      File size:
      150.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on the new ride, I have the same one!

You can remove the plastic sail out back, and re-attach the plate to the metal bracket underneath to clean things up.

First thing I would do though, is set your sag. Find the bags on closeout @ davidsilverspares.com. I've ordered bags twice from them, excellent deal. $430 shipped to NY in 4 days, couldn't be happier, and they are worth every penny!

What's the bike on the right in your avatar? TL-S?

4. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Sebspeed- I appreciate the input. My friend and I got the suspension setup process down. The bikes in my avatar are Superhawks. I used to have a TLR. Anything but an I-4.

Just ordered the boxes.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  5. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    your opinion should be different.

who told you how I taste? :wink:

Factory hardbags are the best... next choice is side case or top case... depends what you want to do. There is a thread on which is best where it ends with everyone agreeing with my opinion that the top case is most functional and the color matched side cases look best. :wink:

Only if you are a whimp :biggrin: and can't hold yourself up with your lower back and legs. Ride through a tank of gas before you decide to invest. I'm 5'7" on a good day and have no issue with the stockers.

I've got stock pipes and breathing... there are almost as many opinions on air filters as there are for what oil to use (I notice this is one of the few newbie questions you did not ask, ...thanks:wink: )

Screw it down so that it does not dangle like that. :confused:

yeah, they are fine, but there are lots of softer compounds out there, and some good dual compounds (Michelin Pilot Road 2's are what I reshoed with). I know of no one that put the stock tires on so they could ride more aggressively... speak up if you did :blah:

I've not needed one. There's enough rack that you should be fine unless you start jacking around the suspension funny. :smash:

Search on it and you'll find most folks recommend the Sargent after riding both. I have a stock seat and have put 10K miles on my VFR in the last 9 months. (maybe my ass is the extra padding?) :redface:

Yeah, it was much easier for me to type this out nice and neat... hope you can return the favor for someone else once you get her dialed in. :smile: Welcome...

and please,

post up some more pictures without the bike on the wheeled display platform... it looks like a Harley or some other bike that does not work. :thumb:

6. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Nozzle- Thank you for your input. I read (and post) on the Superhawk forum all the time and understand the oil thing. Just ordered the Factory hard bags like Sebspeed said.

In my defense of the "display model", no tags, no ride (only cause I forgot to grab the plate off the VTR). As a matter of fact, the day before this horrible pic was taken, I sold my cruiser to a gentleman who lives 2 1/2 hours away. The plan was to trailer it down to him. On my way home from work that morning, I noticed A LOT of black trailers heading south, many with HD stickers on them and 2-4 guys shoe horned into the cabs. I made up my mind then and there to ride the bike to him, no trailer. Long story short, I bundled up and had a wonderful last ride on the bike I had wanted more than any other.

7. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Hottie: didn't mean to come off as a trailer snob. It is the ony way I know of to go get a bike and bring it back by yourself sans hitchhiking. Have fun.

8. Seattle

Seattle New Member

Nice bike,

Might I add to list of newbie questions? I'll assume yes if I keep it short. If you purchase after market pipes, do you need to do anything else? I should say will the bike require any further mods to go along with the new pipes?

9. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome, Hotbrakes and Seattle. The only input I have is on the stock bars and seat. I'm 5'7", 31" inseam, and they both work well. The longest trip I have taken (so far) is about 5 hours and 250 miles, no stops other than one for fuel.

10. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    I've used the stock bars and seat for a 3 day 1000 mile trip.. the bars are fine, the seat is a wooden plank with rusty nails sticking out of it! :eek:

I have a Sargent seat in the mail on the way... I have a Corbin on my other bike but too many opinions on this site have swayed me to the Sargent for the VFR. I just found a group buy on VFRD :)sorry:) for the Sargent for only $300 shipped! Great deal! Of course the BEST people are on VFRWorld!

11. Marcosdm

Marcosdm New Member

The stock Bridgestones, are the worst specially for a agressive ride. Try Metzler, Michelin ou Conti Road Atack one of the best for VFR. K&N filter is good so is the Sargent seat. Enjoy your bike!!