My luck ran out yesterday.

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by bravastar1, Apr 25, 2016.

1. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    76 in a 50. I was riding with my son yesterday and was met at a crest of a hill by a local sheriff coming the other way. The good was she was a hot little blonde. The bad...she would not give me a break at all. The only other good was she did not see us a few miles earlier. Mandatory court in a month. I guess I had some dues to pay. I should bought that radar detector sooner.

2. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    rule of thumb, if your line of sight down the road is crap.. roll off the throttle. at least it was just a cop and not a stopped car or animal waiting for you at the top.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sorry to hear that. I'm probably preaching to the choir but last weekend I rode with some friends and I was leading the group. We were stuck behind an SUV that was going a bit slow. As we came up over a small rise in the road, there was a place to pass. Since a couple of us ride with comm units, I told the rear rider, who happens to have his RD setup, I was going to make a pass on the down hill portion coming up. Just as I said that he chimes in..."Ka band detected and it's really strong!"

I backed off from going to make the pass and low and behold just as we crested the rise, a CHP vehicle was off to the side of the road hidden among the bushes. Although where would have been making the pass was a legal passing zone, I think we would have gotten pinched for sure as, although the SUV was going slow, it was maybe 5-8 MPH below the speed limit, so we would have definitely been going much faster to pass it!

I hope you don't get reamed too much, tickets can get expensive, not just for the infraction but sometimes for insurance cost as well. Good luck at your court hearing.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If the hot blonde doesn't show, you walk. Get to court early and hit the prosecutor up to be first in line. The cop may be running late, working or on vacation. Bring the kid too.. unless he's a teen wearing a hoodie and fuzz on his lip.

Make sure every I on the ticket is dotted and all T's are crossed. Traffic citations are legal documents. Even any note on the back of the ticket is as much your right to see (discovery) as the prosecution.

Question everything. Judges generally are not biased (generally) . Many traffic court judges are pro-tem. Prosecutors are biased. They like winning. Don't we all?

In most places the accused can subpoena the equipment used and the presence or affidavit of the certified technician who calibrated the equipment.

Best bet get yourself one or more of the books on how to beat tickets or find a lawyer who specializes in traffic violations.

I suppose you could burst into tears and tell the judge you have repented and will never go that fast again. That might work but I doubt it..;)

5. Badbilly

United States
    The cops know the local places where they can see but not be seen. Hiding is entrapment.

6. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    more of a safety thing than anything. goosing it 26 over a blind crest is asking for more than paperwork

speaking of paperwork, bravastar what did you actually get written up for? Having to go to court means you got written up for an offense, not a simple citation. In the fascist state of VA, 20 over is an automatic reckless charge for example. and even better, 80mph or higher is also reckless. even on the wide open interstates with the limit of 70. so if anyone's planning a trip up the eastern seaboard I'd recommend bypassing the commonwealth altogether. WV has nicer roads anyway.

7. Badbilly

United States
    Seems like the OP having owned that many bikes if we assume he has been riding for years knows what is safe and what is not. I myself never go more than the double nickel over hill and dale unless I am on the hunt for edible roadkill.

8. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    The ticket is for 6 points which will be reduced to no more than 4. Nothing about careless or reckless. Yes I should have known better as I have been over that part of the road many times. I think I will beg the DA to let me pick up trash or work at the local Goodwill and see if he will cut the points or fine.

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Bummer lousy timing I'd say I don't even want to know how many close calls I've had. Mandatory court? How interesting, Did the blonde write it up as excessive speed ?

10. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    At least it wasn't double the limit, which is easy to do.

Good luck

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Really! You have to be kidding.

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I once got stopped by going to slow-no ticket of course:banana:

13. Ozz

Ozz New Member

Sorry to hear about the ticket. It is difficult not to ride a VFR in a "spirited" manner.

14. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    That's called Obstucting Traffic. Park the bike. Take a fucking bus. You will be an admired person for that.

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    tractors go down my road at no more then 20, I don't think it would hold up in court going 5mph under the speed limit and hence no ticket. It was the other cars speeding all the time down the road, I like to piss them off-these nut ball also ran over two of my Pitt ball fighting tom cats.:smash:

16. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I got a nasty speeding ticket a few years back and hired a lawyer who specialized in moving violations. I still had to pay the full fine and take an online safety course but the ticket was reduced to a minor violation with no points. You might want to look into something similar. I think the lawyer fee was about $150 which paid for itself since there was no increase in my insurance premiums.

17. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    "Hiding is entrapment."

Entrapment is when they come up behind you and try to get you to run, because you out ran 'em the day before...

18. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    Aah, there's the problem. What's the point of having a VFR if you only speed on the straights? My sympathies on the ticket.

19. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Our county sheriff dept. does not have radar.
    Though they have lobbied for them and lost.
    So, it's ride it like ya stole in the country here.

20. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    He's not being entirely truthful. here's the dash cam footage:

[video=youtube;ss_kmEjBuUg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_kmEjBuUg[/video]