my first commute came with a rattle and pain...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by fieldsanitation, Apr 6, 2012.

1. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    Rode my siren into work today, first trip longer than around the block on her since I brought her home and swapped fluids and it was an interesting experience on some old NOT-SO-RELIABLE tires. Left my hearing protection out so I could listen to her scream and heard a few weird sounds that maybe you've all heard before.

1. a rattling: Like some plastic/metal gears enclosed in a casement is loose and skipping gears or got some chipped teeth... or maybe radiator fans getting loose??? it was not a consistent sound, which made me think maybe some fans somewhere. I have the two side fairings off because I'm checking the rectifier and battery when I stop... this girl has only 20k on her with a completely stock setup so I'm not trusting the rectifier. Just got the rest of the wiring parts to swap it out.... but anyone on the rattling?

2. helibars. make me ride pillion on a hardtail with no rear seat.... OUCH. I don't have them, but as soon as I got into the office I went straight to their website and placed my order. 30 minute commute on a bum wrist from my DEER encounter and I've got a sore back and angry wrists... I guess I need to relearn my muscle memory so my body gets used to riding again but DAMN. I was not happy with that feeling.

I mentioned in the chat last night, but I'll mention it again here, I'm so used to having a cable clutch that the hydraulic clutch completely through me for a loop. THAT is going to take some getting used to I think. Trying to feel out the response on that is going to be interesting.

Should be picking her up here in an hour or so with new PR2's and I can't wait. GOTTA LOVE A FRIDAY!!!!!!!

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    1. Check your chain slack, might hit the gaurd plate in the front sprocket or the center stand.
    2. Heli bar would help........try not to put to much pressure on the handle bar. Relax and enjoy her while riding and keep your eyes out for cager and deers :)
    3. Practice is the key
    PR2 is awesome for all around (Especially in wet weather)

LAst but not least ATGATT.......................Ride safe

3. fieldsanitation

Map
    oh yeah... I've been riding since 1990, and although I was an idiot teenager back then, I learned my lessons quickly on ATTGAT!!! Caught a bumblebee in the chest at 60+mph going to the beach when I was in the Marines... I had the bruise the size of my fist when we got there. (was only wearing a Tshirt.)

really wondering about that rattle. The chain is good, and I definitely only hear it properly when I am stopped and in gear at a redlight.... coming from below the handlebars/tripletree... thats why I guessed fan or... hmmm what are these green things on the frame... motors? one on each side?

4. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Green things??? My fan is black.

:worthless:

5. Scubalong

United States
    Hahahahaha...........LMAO

6. Scubalong

United States
    I think you should post some pictures because we don't have any green things on our bike .......Stoshmonster might have :)

7. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    :pound:LMMFAO:lol: I don't think that's even a question at this point, how many shades of green is the more important question!!

8. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    The green things are the ignition coils, there are four total, two around each head. If the rattle you hear is not too loud your hearing what every other 5th gen owner hears from their bike at a standstill. My somewhat professional opinion(Master certified ASE technician) is the noise is the clutch plates rattling in the clutch basket combined with some gear lash noise from the straight cut primary drive gears due to no load being present. Think of how loud open dry ducati clutches are at idle. If you ease the clutch out just enough to create a little drag and the noise goes away, then I wouldn't worry about it. I can't always hear the noise on mine, the slip-on exhaust takes care of it.

9. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

Could it be the flapper valve? I think I hear that POS mostly at stop signs when engaging and disengaging the clutch. Next time the tank is up that's getting the boot.

10. fieldsanitation

Map
    I will definitely be checking both of those items... If its the flapper, then it should happen both IN GEAR and out of gear or neutral... if its the clutch, then it should/maybe only happen with the clutch pulled all the way in but in gear...

right?

11. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Easy way to find out is to disconnect the flapper. All you have to do is pull the vacuum line off the flapper and put a screw in the vacuum line so you don't cause a vacuum leak. That how I have mine setup.

12. fieldsanitation

Map
    thanks, I'll try that!

13. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the 5th gen. rattle. Good to know it is normal.

Jose

14. jerritt

jerritt New Member

Canada
    Map
    wrist pain

use your core muscles to support your upper body and not your arms (wrists) and you wont need to change out your handlebars

15. brentlbaker

brentlbaker New Member

Agreed, this is a technique that takes daily practice. If you slouch normally - then it will take much more, I know.

As for the noise, it may be the wrong selection of oil that is causing clutch noise. May sure it's not energy conserving oil. That will cause wet clutch problems.

16. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Holy old thread revival batmen. And I belive the wrong oil would cause more of a clutch slip than a noise.

17. AussieGeoff

AussieGeoff New Member

Australia
    Map
    Any of you guys actually use recommended Honda engine oil??

Cheers,
    Geoff

18. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    There are a select few sticklers that run all honda fluids by the book from the dealer but not many. Personally, I prefer a full synthetic in all my vehicles, and GN4 ain't it. I have run several other full syn oils in mine, currently running Rotella T6 and it's doing just about the same as all the MC specific oils I've run, and it's waaaaay cheaper.

19. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    You could be hearing the same mystery buzz I've been trying to get out of my dash since November 2011 when I bought my bike. It sounds like there's an angry wasp stuck behind my tach, but I don't want to take the time to pull the front fairing off, take the dash apart, and figure out where it's actually coming from. The low-pitched rattle in neutral is just the clutch plates freewheeling, all three bikes I've owned have made that noise to some extent.