My 94 streetfighter build......*gasp!*

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by LayinLow, Aug 21, 2013.

1. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    So this is my little build thread. As you can see from the pics the bike was already headed in the direction of nakedness for awhile already......I just decided to finish the job.:robssmilie:

Here we go.....this is how we started about 1-2 years ago when I did some mild custom work after removing the side fairings and making it a basic 1/2 naked bike like VTR1000, SV650s etc etc
    [​IMG]

Now onto the past 3 weeks.

I started by removing all of the nasty front fairings etc. This was a pain in the A** but not worth writing a novel on:
    [​IMG]

Once that was done I got down to the real nasty stuff:
    #1 My factory front bank ignition coils
    #2 Fabbed bracket mount with one bolt and two zip ties. Definitely not going anywhere.[​IMG]

#3 Had to make a new bracket for the oil cooler since the subframe is gone. Dremel, titanium bits, and a galvanized brace worked well
    [​IMG]

#4 I bought a wire loom holder kit from Pep Boys since its metal and maleable. Bent them in arcs so the stanchions would clear when turning the wheel
    #5 Hard to see, but theres now a diagonal cross member making a nice bolt triangle with the loom brackets and the oil cooler brace. Mucho tougho.
    #5.5 This is a fail...I got the bracket to go into the side of the fuze box holder but later put the X on that plan.
    [​IMG]

#6 Started customizing rubber boots (shock boots) to provide a water resistant rubber shroud for the wires.....taking shape
    [​IMG]

#7 Got the rubber boots secured on the loom as tight as possible using small rubber cuts.
    #8 Added extra new electrical tape on certain exposed parts of the harnesses. Layed them back and forth and secured them in a manner that was permanent and not too stressfull on the wires and junctions. Starting to look like that blue ladys head in the Star Wars bar scene...lol
    [​IMG]

#9 Going to likely pick up another set of the boots since they worked great to cover this final area once everythings wired. I will then be using some aircraft aluminum from my friend who is building a plane to cover this front area with a nice windflecting shroud.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far after weighing some stuff I've shed somewhere around 25lbs worth of hardware. Its noticeable bigtime.
    I plan to put Dominator 2 projectors on it and run a true dual headlight since the VFR is made for it already. Should look pretty nasty. Hopefully soon followed by digital gauge set!

Let me know what you think!

2. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    What are you doing with the stuff you took off?

3. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Ive already sold the side fairings, belly pan and belly fairing, and 2 windshields. I still have the zero gravity windshield, a gutted and shortened stock exhaust, a delkevic stainless exhaust, front subframe bracket. The whole head cowling with lights and blinkers I'm trying to sell as one piece. I've got a craigslist add up.....no ebay yet.

4. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

looks good but what are you going to do about the oem gauges?
    [​IMG]

5. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Sell them eventually I guess. Ive picked out a Koso gauge that I'm going to buy, I just don't want to spend the money just yet.....
    Koso D64. Also those pics are outdated now......I went back and completely hid all the wiring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

Im in the same boat but i got an 08 cbr 600rr gauge setup because it tells me fuel level. I need to start wiring it soon

7. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    https://www.denniskirk.com/medialib...th=/dk/product_images/22/1200pix/22100225.jpg

Thats what I love about this gauge...its got nearly evverything except tach...which i dont use anyway. On a VFR with a shorty muffler you can feel where the rev limiter is before hitting it :tongue:

8. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

Thats true. I just wanted something cheap and easy to wire (so I thought). Wiring has become a hair puller and not because its hard but because its too easy. I connected a few random wires before even looking at the diagram and pretty good success in my opinion. I just got scared because it was too easy. I got to this point in about 45 minutes and I hate splicing wires so I took apart the connectors and plan to use heat shrink. The only things that do not work yet is the high beams. RPM's, fuel level,clock,turn signals, oil light and mileage work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Yeah...my harnesses are still intact. I havent cut any bezel wires yet. What I did do is trace all the pins on the back of the bezel and labelled them on a piece of cardboard, so it should be a snap to wire them up. The gas gauge is the only thing Im thinking will be a challenge. There were three wires that i traced to the gas gauge, but only one of those ONLY goes to the gas gauge. Im assuming thats the one I want.

10. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

Gas has 3 wires. Ground, low gas and fuel level. I use the fuel level because my gauge can display it.

11. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Just for the record...what color was the fuel level one?

Also......most aftermarket gauges have one power wire going directly to the battery and one "switched" or ignition power wire.....I can't figure out where the main switched power wire is on either the green or blue harnesses. Did you figure that out?

12. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

grey and black should be fuel level as green/black is ground ( I say this because its shared by every gauge) and brown/black goes to reserve light. I have the switched wire hooked up correctly but I am not sure which one it is because i got lucky somehow but Ill look and figure it out.

13. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting. Looks like you put a lot of work into that.

15. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

ok not going by the manual at all and being completely lucky the switched wire is brown with white stripe.

good luck

16. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States

Haha Ok...thanks

Thanks D71:cool: