My 4th gen story (so far)

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by slowbird, Nov 27, 2011.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I figured since I posted so much in regards to my problematic 1st and 2nd gen bikes....I should make a thread about my 4th gen. About what I've done, what I plan on doing, and how much I love it. (which is a lot) :hump:

So I purchased it from the original owner sometime in May this year. Had aprox 25,000kms (16,000miles) on it. Looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The owner had a 180 tire on the back. Both tires were a few years old and the tread was looking a bit low. I installed a pair of BT-023's and put a 170 stock size on the rear.

After a few hundred kms I noticed the bike was sputtering or missing above 6,000rpm. The owner claimed he did nothing to the bike except Oil, gas and tires so I decided to take her apart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(You can see the OE R/R in one of those pics. I ordered a new one from wiremybike.com and installed it at this time.)

Anyways, to fix the sputtering/misfire I replaced all 4 spark plugs with factory ones, replaced the dirty OE filter with another factory one. New fuel filter, and even a new sponge/air filter for the PAIR system. Changed the oil with Mobil1 MX4T and the bike felt much better. MPG improved too.

With the bike running great I moved to the aesthetics.

Added red (reflective) wheel strips:
    [​IMG]

I also added a Dark tint Touring Screen, Clear front signals from "Thurn", and some "V4 gear Driven Cams" decals:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Due to the frequent electrical issues of the VFR's I also installed one of these:

Signal Dynamics | Signal Dynamics Corporation 1-800-785-1814 | Motorcycle Safety Lights | Break Light Signal Module | Motorcycle LED Lighting | Signal Dynamics - Creator of BackOFF

It works pretty good. It's pretty simple and I installed it in the little rubber peice on the upper portion of the dash under the windscreen. You can see it in this vid:
    Elephant Lake on a VFR - YouTube
    (little green light reflecting on the windscreen above the clock)

So besides the other mods I mentioned, I also replaced the signal and brake bulbs with LED's, and I installed some black wheel lugs to replace the stock silver ones.

Here it currently sits in a storage place for the winter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have a garage so I had to rent out this 10x10 storage unit so I can comfortable work on the bike over the winter. I have quite a few things planned and I wanted to do it in comfort and in a nice heated place.

Here is what I have planned over the winter:
    -VFRNess install
    -Check all wiring (re-do splicing of LED load resistors and LED Heads up unit)
    -PAIR removal (I purchased a kit off ebay with block off plates and caps)
    -Replace the OE pads with EBC HH
    -Install HEL Steel brake lines & speed bleeders
    -Replace front and rear sprockets + chain
    -Install Givi rack for Top case
    -Splice in brake light modulator
    -Replace all dash lights with LED's

I also have some repairs to do as I had a mishap in the driveway involving a heavy bike lying on it's right side and a tiny 140lbs numpty unable to pick it up.
    Gotta replace the rear brake lever and find out why it doesn't activate the brake light unless fully pressed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  3. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Neat video through a tunnel:[video=youtube;ax-9jqDXW7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax-9jqDXW7k[/video]