My '07 to the Texas Mile - update

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by carlgustav, Oct 14, 2013.

1. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

So the TM event is now just under 2 weeks away and I'm still prepping the VFR. Replaced my clutch springs with Barnett's based on what I read about CandyRedRC's adventures :smile:. Changing oil/filter, added bike number, adjusting rear sets, and on, and on it goes. Amazing how many little details need taking care of no matter when you start getting ready, and in spite of running only slightly modified from stock. The one thing that has me stumped is what to do about a metal chain guard :confused:. This is a requirement for motorcycles running in this event.

And then there's the minor issue :rolleyes: of the fact that I've never raced anything in a straight line where launching/shifting is somewhat important :smile: ...

ACE

2. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    That's being held near Corpus correct?

3. friedleyjr

friedleyjr New Member

For the metal chain guard I would look for a sheetmetal fab place near by and take the plastic one what is stock and have them fab up something for you. shouldn't break the bank. its a few simple bends and a couple of holes. I would just make sure I took the original one in to have them make the measurements exact. Have fun and just remember to shift...

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

For a chainguard this looks like about the same regulation found on NHRA, SCTA and Bonneville rules. The guard is not so much to keep crud off the rear wheel but to offer a safety window in case the chain breaks. IOW nothing fancy but strong. Same Deal with the other rules about tires, safety wiring ect. May even be pix, vids of same on Utube or images that can be used as a model for your bike.

One rule that I would ask about is are the leathers to be one piece or two piece. It would be a shame to haul all the way down to South TX and get shot down by the tech referee.

Bring lots of Gatorade. Beeville can be hot like a mofo in October.

Let me know if you beat my record of Mach 1 ;)

5. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Remember to shift, I like that :smile:, that would be the thing I'd forget ... kind of like track coaches telling us to remember to breathe ...

@BB, section 8.5 just states that leather racing suits are required. I only have two sets of leathers and both are one piece, so that's what I'm taking. My son lives in Austin & he's joining me to be my 'crew' :cool:. He has mentioned the heat in Austin all the way into Nov. :eek:. I think your record is going to fall, as my VFR launches at Mach 1 :thumb: ...

ACE

6. Badbilly

United States
    One piece leathers should do the trick. Your son is spot on. Austin is generally cooler and drier than climes near the gulf. No BS about plenty of Gatorade. Maybe some of the Texas dudes will show up to cheer you on while you try for mach 1 :)

Rather than telling ya how worthless any story is without pix when really what is meant is "ya gotta have pix" or it's BS.. Do lots of pix with your adventure..

What will be fun is to compare a real time trial on a measured distance with real clocks (Chondeks (??)) with some of the "other" claims here. Damn, you'd almost have to be near mach 1 to wade through some of the claims.

7. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

So here's a preparing pic:

View attachment 24467

Do I look ready to go :wink:. I had to cobble together a metal chain guard ... this is apparently a 'must' for the event. I found 2 places claiming to provide spiffy metal chain guards on line, tireqwik & lazer guard. Neither source came through & I probably won't look at them again :frown:. I have no metal working tools, skill, or any welding skill. So I came up with this:

View attachment 24466

It's a combo '82 Kaw guard + scrap sheet metal laying in the garage. Hell, if I paint it flat black no one will notice ... right :smile: ...

ACE

8. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    That'll work boss, good luck with the race!

9. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

So here's the final chain guard 'product', if you will:

View attachment 24509

And the 'catch can' with convoluted hoses:

View attachment 24510

Finally, the cockpit with required damper and tethered kill switch (wired to the engine start relay):

View attachment 24511

I think I've met the safety requirements as I understand them. I've also got the usual oil items safety wired, and the front axle safety wired :cool:.

ACE

10. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Quick update, Sat. runs sucked, Sun. great ... 145.4, met my goal, speed was still increasing after I ran thru the trap to the braking area warning lights :) ... pix or video when I get back home this week ...

ACE

11. Badbilly

United States
    145.4 mph on a prepped VFR timed by real timing gear is probably more real than some of the stories of 150 plus on some farm road in the middle of Lalaland.

12. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Ok folks, evidence is available :smile-new: ... forgive my crappy video editing, I tried to add in a piece I initially forgot, but you'll still get the idea. First some pix ...

Pit area
    View attachment 24646

A Hodaka 100 staged near me, going for 1mph/cc but didn't make it ...
    View attachment 24648

A ZX14 that ran 220 on Sun. ...
    View attachment 24649

Cobra :biggrin1:
    View attachment 24650

A gorgeous machine ...
    View attachment 24651

And its powerplant, one of these (GTs) ran 278 & change on Sun., that's F'n impressive in a mile :thumb:
    View attachment 24652

Launch area :chaingun:
    View attachment 24653

And another gorgeous 'machine', couldn't help it :tongue-new:
    View attachment 24647

And my final run of the day :triumphant: ...

http://youtu.be/ogVnl_c9yK8

Enjoy,
    ACE

13. Badbilly

United States
    Cool!!

The vid of your run was fine.. It caught just what was needed.

Great "spectator" stills too.

Maybe the guy on the Hodaka will show next time with a Combat Wombat..;)

14. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    It seems to me that the speedo was still climbing... I kinda wonder what you would have pegged out at if you had more straight track....

15. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Man if you are going to take pics of spectators like that we really are going to have to chip in on a zoom lens for you.

16. LOUDASS03VFR

LOUDASS03VFR New Member

Nice run man. What notable mods did the bike have?

17. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

@BB, I remember the 'wombat', damn if that doesn't go way back ... the guy I met has quite a bit invested in his 100cc screamer though ...

@DiVeFR, speed was still slowly climbing & I wish now I had held the throttle longer, I had the room to see if 150 was possible, I kinda think it was in reach within another 1/4 & would've left me a 1/4 to brake ...

@reg71, the zoom on my little camera wasn't enough for sure, but getting closer would've been too creepy ... not to me, to her :tongue-new: ...

@LA, Supertrapp muffler dropped 12lbs off exhaust system, LiFePo battery dropping ~5lbs more, PCIII with generic map off Dyno website, is about it. Recent dyno run put RWHP @ almost exactly 100 (no custom tuning for PCIII) & ~59lb-ft torque. Oh yeah, 520 chain/sprocket with +1 on the front. She's set up the way I ride her everyday which is what I wanted to try out :biggrin: ...

ACE

18. Badbilly

United States
    I'm in a good size vintage club. There are two of those Combat Wombats in the club that I know of. The story goes that they were popular in OZ for herding sheep. Having a bike that holds a record is a record period no matter the size. That is one of the great things about long run speed trials. The rules are safety oriented but loose as far as "run what ya brung" goes. Back in the day on a muddy course a guy could kick some ass on a small light bike (like a Hodaka) against bigger bore engines. I was stationed basically on the lakes in SoCal... Been to Bonneville twice.. and If I still lived in TX, I'd be at the mile..

Another factor that makes this type of event great is that it's real hot rodding.

19. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

@BB ... I'll tell ya, hot rodding as I remember it didn't have the amount of $$$ involved that I saw at this event ... which I guess just hints at my age :biggrin1: ...

ACE

20. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Carl...Seems to me you dropped a lot of weight off the bike... Did you run your bike near empty too for this run??? (1 gallon of water = approx. 7 lbs IDK what a gal of gas =) How much weight off of the original weight did you shed?