Mt. Washington Auto Road

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by jrock, Jan 2, 2007.

1. jrock

jrock New Member

I just read that the Mt. Washington Auto Road has two MC only days. June 11 and June 14.

Is this a road worth riding? What is it like?

2. Routemeister

Routemeister New Member

RE: Mt Washington Auto Road

Is the road worth riding? - yes! but more for the view from the top than the road itself. If you ride the road on a weekday, the traffic is light and, except through the woods at the bottom, the sight lines are good enough to allow easy passing, especially since most cars are crawling, both up and down. The upper third isn't paved but it's hard packed granite dust and easy to ride. Given that the view is at least as important as the ride, pick a day with a favorable forecast and don't worry about the MC only days when you're as likely to be held up by struggling Harleys riding two abreast as you are by cages on any other day.
    Regards,
    David "Routemeister" Thompson

3. brianereed

brianereed New Member

I have enjoyed this road a couple of times on my bike. Make sure the weather is nice at the top of the mountain. 30 degrees and foggy can occur at the top while it is 80 degrees and sunny at the base. One good gauge is whether you can see the building up at the top from the base. If you can, go for it. The views are awesome. If you can't, try again another day.