Move R/R to another position

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by pontiac_banshee, Nov 4, 2007.

1. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    Found only one thread about this. Has anyone moved the R/R on a VFR for better cooling? or on my case somewhere it will fit.

I have a 91 VFR and ordered a 99 VFR R/R. It is huge and that is good and that is bad. It doesn't fit where the old one was and I am stuck trying to find a new spot for it. Looking for alternatives but if anyone has done this I would be happy to see what ya got. I read a thread about above the tire but wanted to run a fan on it. The truth is this may be an excellent choice with a metal bracket and a shroud over the wiring to protect it.

Anyone have a better idea?????

2. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

Yes I did that.

Though I've since moved it back to near stock.
    Too much resistance!!!!

I relocated it to under the front cowl.
    I built a 4mm aluminum bracket to mount with the horn bolt/bracket.
    word of advice...
    this is a long stretch of wire, even for 10-12 ga.
    I found I was getting WAY too much resistance in the wires.
    its a shorter dist. for the yellow stator wires, but a good 3-4 feet to run it back to the relay and battery and stock ground position.

I even doubled up on the +/- wires, still only held up charge at around 13v

old saying is: the longer the distance, the bigger the wire.

I'd suggest somewhere under/ or on the rear subframe away from the battery box as this gets pretty hot on the 3rd Gen.

I installed a Suzuki GSXR unit (HUGE) and moved it back a bit for stock location on the subframe. works great! and never gets too hot to touch.

Jsut my 2Cts.
    Steve

3. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    Plan just a bit different.

My plan is to get a 1/4 aluminum plate that will fit across the rear upper frame rail (the 3/4 x 3/4 rail). It looks like the plastic has a spot for the manual so that is just where it will be going. I will puch out a 3" hole in the plate (see below). The R/R will fit below the plastic cover with the heat shink body exposed to the wheel well. The 3" hole will expose the epoxy block on the r/r. Then under the seat I am going to mount a 3" to 4" ball bearing fan. This way while moving the cirulation of tire and just being out in the open should cool far beyond where it is now. The hole and the fan should keep it cooled enough for idle and stop light times. The wire length would be just inches farther than stock. may even build a rock protector for it but not sure yet. It will be sealed so no worry about water above.

There is just no room on the 3rd generation for the large r/r (at least the one from Ricks) in the spot where the original was. Even if it fit the clearance would hinder the amount of air. It looks like I would even have to modify the r/r so it didnt hit the external plastic. Will take pics and post them.