Motorcycle camping class Raleigh/Cary/Durham

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by bikerpunk, Jul 6, 2009.

1. bikerpunk

bikerpunk New Member

Campers/Want to campers- The Wife and I were at REI yesterday and saw that they were doing motorcycle camping classes at all 3 area locations. Very cool. We've been M/C camping for years and have a blast each time out. If you're interested and want to know how to get started here's your chance. And no, I do not work for REI... I just think it's great that they're offering this.

REI Raleigh: Tuesday, July 14th @ 7PM
    REI Cary: Wednesday, July 15th @ 7PM
    REI Durham: Thursday, July 16th @ 7PM

See you at the Durham class.

Rich

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Flailer

Wow Flailer has a very busy schedule!:thumbsup:

3. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

don't forget to do a debrief and let us know all about it.

4. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Do you have a web link to the classes? I don't see anything like this in the REI class list in the western US?

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Kind of a sort of REI list of stuff. The list is pretty long and should IMO, include bringing the bike along too.

6. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

I checked the eastern locations and they don't have it either.

7. bikerpunk

bikerpunk New Member

As far as I know this is just a local thing. Someone that works there rides and likes to camp. Good opportunity to sell some camping gear. Not bad marketing if you ask me.

8. rodm850g

rodm850g New Member

riding n camping

Hi Guys,
    I like to ride and I like to camp....I'm out of a most infamous area,Fayetteville.
    We have had an unofficial group of riding friends that grows,shrinks all the time. There are two characters that will put a ride together at the drop of a hat. We love to turn events into camping adventures.....Races at VIR..we be camping, Big Kahuna we're there racing down at Road Atlanta...you will find us up at T.W.O. {R.I.P. Frank}.
    Camping off a bike takes some plannig on the riders part.A good idea is to lay out everything you think you will need and try to pack it. Then lay t all back out and leave out what you reallt don't need and pack it again....soon you will have your camping kit down to a fine science.Depending on which bike I ride...I could be on one of three, my ST1300, my VFR or my 79 GS850GN. Every bike packs different....could be due to your having a luggage rack or saddle bags....hard or soft. Obviously I can carry more on my ST, and less on my other two bikes.....The VFR and the GS I have to use soft bags and compression bags too. and bungee cords everywhere.
    My list of gear consist of a two person ten when solo we have a larger tent when wifey comes along theres more of everything two up so space becomes a real issue. There are some items that are always on board like my tool roll,pluggin kit and air compressor...These don't take up a lot of space but when you are on the road a flat can be a real bummer so this space is always taken either bike. sleeping bag air mattress....some folks love the little ones that inflate themselves and get to be about 1 1/2 in to 3" thick
    I don't know about the rest of you out there in the world but I want a real mattress under my old ass self.Solo its a Coleman that rolls up on itself in a handy wrap about 4-6 in diameter and is a must for me. Size of a single bed. a small camping pillow is a nice thing. bag choice is personal so get one that fits ya and is in the temperature range of the locale you are about to visit.
    Some of us need our coffee so a cooker is nice I reccomend a "Jet boil", they heat up water quickly and are available at better sporting goods stores.I need at least some instant java....you will find sealable zip lock s a god send..
    LAst year I set about to reduce the bulk of y camping kit....I wanted to get my " house" and bed down to less than 15 lbs....and I did. now my living/sleeping accomodations are no more than 20 lbs for house and gear.
    Lights are a nice thing to have...I got one of the headlap style lights that is an led set-up.....1 push so many lights another pust so many more.....then it will flash then off.....nice to set camp in the dark.....Been there done that....
    a ground cloth to keep youe tent clean is nice...I try to take a small piece of rug sample to clean my feet on. and a small tarp in case of lots of rain.....and some parachute cord
    Moto camping is fun and there are lots of places in N.C. and surrounding states for us to enjoy and there are a few that cater to motorcyclist....I hope to see some of you out there doing this..prolly next year this one is about to cool down too far for many...althopugh I can gear back up....Take Care all
    Rodm850g