MotoGP Traction Control

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by R.W., Jan 16, 2008.

1. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Do you guys ever miss the old days when the MotoGp & WSBK bikes would be sideways and smoking? Traction Control seems to be taking a little of the human element away from a racer controlling acceleration and traction. The more and more electronics take over, the less and less the rider's skill is the deciding factor, I'm all for technology but I hate to see bits of the human element disappear...

2. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

From my perspective if the traction control keeps the riders from crashing and makes for more competitive racing, I would prefer to have them use the electronics. I would prefer to see a well executed pass than a guy out of control sliding and smoking. It would be interesting to see if there has been more passing in MotoGP since the bikes got more of these electronic advantages. Does anyone know if those metrics exist?

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I'm not sure that traction control will be around that much longer in MotoGP. The Formula One World Championship sponsor, FIA has gone to spec ECU's controlled by the FIA and no traction control will be allowed in 2008. The reason this is significant, is that, the powers that be who sanction MotoGP have been very open to the fact that they are watching to see the effect of the FIA's change on the racing in Formula One for 2008, and if it proves successful, than they too will seriously consider spec ECU's in MotoGP. With as much whining Valentino Rossi has done concerning traction control, you can almost bet that this will become reality as early as next year. You can argue if you want, but remember who said it first.

4. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

Next would you like passing control to keep riders from making unsafe passes? if it's going to be about the riders ability, their decisions and implementation there of needs to be in the equation, and not hampered. it proves their skill and ability. I have witnessed well executed passes on final turns last lap to win by "backing it in", tires smoking all the way.

5. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

I think I did a lousy job stating mypoint. What I'm up for is anything that increases the number of passes in a race. Not that they need to be safe passes, I just thing racing in general, not just MotoGP is more exciting when there is more action and head to head racing. I'm up for any electronic gadget that allows the rider to take more chances and pass (even if that means more safe passes). I'm not for Traction Control or any other Gadget just to make racing safe (although that should be an objective since we don't want taleted riders being out all the time due to injury or worse). I'm up for technology that makes racing more exciting. Hence my question on passing metrics.

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Yes I do miss those days.

I started watching MotoGP when Gary McCoy came on the scene and he rode that 500 two-stroke like a dirt bike! It was exciting and wild to watch.

I believe traction control helped kill McCoy's MotoGP career along with his accidents. But had Kawasaki built a bike around his riding style when they switched to four strokes I bet he would have had a better season.

I also love watching older GP footage with Freddie Spencer. You can actually see the frame of his bike flexing!

BZ

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Your just saying - are there more passes now with the electronix for more exciting racing (gives riders more options) vs none, strait up twist grip control?
    More or less passes and tougher competition? :smile:

MD

8. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Yes, I do miss those days before all these electronic handi-cap gizmos. IMO, I don't buy all these reasons of more competitive racing. I like it to be that the rider has to control the bike with his right wrist and that grey matter mushy thing between his ears.

To an extent, it seems like it is taking some of the skill out of racing. Nicky Hayden and several others have spoke out against it. He commented that all you have to do now is just wack the throttle open and the bike will do the rest not having to worry about sliding around.

Any of you guys ever watch Spainard Tony Elias race? He sure is fun to watch....he has a riding style different than all the others. He loves to be sideways.

9. derstuka

Map
    That is one of the things that I miss the most! Look out for Tony Elias baby!

10. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

I like increased competition and more passes. If less electronics gets us that, I want less electronics. If more electronics gets us there, then I'd like more electronics. Its like if they came out with a super sticky tire that really upped the ante on cornering speeds and passes in the corner, I think we all would say go with it right? I'm just saying if they did that with something electronic, and it upped cornering speeds and passing in the corner it would be a good thing right?

In other words don't diss progress just because it is electronic.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think it was Gary McCoy that I thought of when I read this post. He was in one of the MotoGP year recap videos I watched and his highlights were the most exciting because he would ride the hell out of his bike up to the end be it flag or crash. Watching someone do on asphalt what only seems possible on dirt it pretty amazing! I bet they trashed tires in those days...

12. derstuka

Map
    Yeah Reg, that was Gary McCoy. He had one or two years were he was just riding sideways, back-end waving around more than Shakira's! Those were some fun races to watch.

13. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
  14. derstuka

Map
    Good ole Tony....godda love the sideways passing....

Tony vs Rossi

15. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed, for those of you who haven't read Rossi's thoughts on Traction Control, here it is...

Rossi slams rider aids
    14 December 2007

Valentino Rossi has once again pointed out that he is not a big fan of the growing influence of electronics in MotoGP. Rossi has always said he believes rider aids are getting too important and he finds it harder to master riding with so much non-human input.

Speaking with MCN Rossi said: "Casey (Stoner) has done an amazing job and without doubt he is a great rider. But he is the first of the traction control generation because the way he uses traction control is amazing.

"For old generation riders like me, Marco Melandri and Loris Capirossi we have a lot of problems to understand. You have to be brave to use the systems. It is difficult sometimes to have confidence in a system because that system is not human.

"As an old generation rider, when the engineers come to you and say you can open the throttle full when you're knee is on the ground at 150ks in the middle of the corner, it is easy to say this from the pits. It is different on the bike and that is the main problem for the old generation guys. Casey believes in the system and we don't," added Rossi.

16. Taz

Taz New Member

My understanding that the few races Nicky placed on the podium last year that the traction control was off :confused:

Rossi nailed it, when you come from a la natural riding that you feel the bike & know how to implement your reactions to ride the machine.
    Now put in TC in the equation & the riders are expecting what it should be doing & the bike does different.
    M/C racing is about what a person can do with a machine with his grey matter & his huevos, take one or the other out, it's just programed boring entertainment.
    Good example is when TC was added to the ama SBK series by Suzuki (illegal @ 1st then made legal) :mad:

I know in our club racing the #1 & top guy's turn off there TC & say there faster with out it.

I can believe it because I've tried a new GSXR with TC on, & with it off, I rode smoother & faster with it off.

So I say TC for the street rider Newbies - Sure because most ride above there head, but for racing - if you need assistance (TC) you shouldn't be racing :wink:

TC is for those that can't walk & chew gum @ the same time !

17. derstuka

Map
    That's because Nicky likes to ride sideways sometimes to square/finish off the corners. Yeeee haww!

Ah men! Well said Taz! Leave victory to the riders' abilities.