MotoGP Thread

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by R.W., Feb 19, 2008.

?

Who's your Favorite MotoGP Rider?

1. Hayden

44.0%
  2. Rossi

16.0%
  3. Stoner

28.0%
  4. Pedrosa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Melandri

2.0%
  6. Toseland

4.0%
  7. Hopper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Lorenzo

2.0%
  9. Hopkins or Edwards

2.0%
  10. Vermeulen or Capirossi

2.0%
  1. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I haven't been this excited for for an upcoming MotoGp season in a long time, so before the season starts, lets hear everybody's predictions for the upcoming season, Here is 10 scenario's among many that I'll be watching unfold in the 2008 season...

1. Will Yamaha's pneumatic valves work out?
    2. Will the Michelin's last in the latter part of the race
    3. Will Toseland podium this year?
    4. Did Hopper make a wise decision going to Team Green?
    5. How will Ben Spies do in his two races?
    6. Will DePuniet & Elias continue to crash?
    7. Is Melandri & Pedrosa ready to be a serious threat for the Championship?
    8. Will Lorenzo be a player?
    9.Will Dovizioso and De Angelis out preform some of the veterans?
    10. Will any rider be a serious threat to Stoner for the 2008 championship?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

Don't forget Ant West, he may liven things up.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I know that they aren't questions, but here's my take:

1.) Yes and Honda will get it figured out too - Honda has the R&D from Formula 1, big advantage. Yamaha got out of Formula 1 earlier and probably doesn't have as much engineering data. Suzuki showed the potential....
    2.) A lot of that has to do with the chassis of the Michelin users this year...They definately still have a qualifying tire advantage......
    3.) If the cards fall right, Yes! If Colin can make a couple I think James should have a shot, of course I don't know what package they have. '07 or 08? Been pretty consistant in the 5-10 slots in testing........
    4.) Hard to say but he's been on the ground already and his season isn't going to start off too good, he's missed quite a bit of real testing. Akira Yanagawa showed some strength in testing on the Kwacker.......
    5.) I don't think he'll make top five, has a better shot at Indy as nobody is familiar with the track either.....He should represent well, of course it still isn't set in stone yet........Couldn't do any worse than DuHamel.
    6.) Probably - Depuniet has been way quicker than Elias so far though. I don't think that Elias's package is as strong as DePuniet's, so he will have to push the limits a bit more.....
    7.) Pedrosa had better heal up by Qatar if he wants a shot at numero uno. Even Jeremy Burgess says that Pedrosa is one of the top threats. Melandri has been crap so far, but who knows. Maybe if he can get his chassis sorted.
    8.) Yes, definately. He has good track knowledge and the need to beat the Man at Yamaha. Michelin will be extra attentive to Mr. Lorenzo's needs too, I believe......
    9.) On occassion maybe, certainly not consistantly. Lorenzo smacked those guys around the last couple of years.
    10.) I certainly hope so. Both Nicky and Rossi look like they are in a much better position than this time last year. Dani could have been the most serious threat but he got hurt. It really is all about the engines though....Both Yamaha and Honda are basically at a disadvantage due to the change in configuration. at Ducati it's same old, same old........

Just my take.

4. Puma Cat

Puma Cat New Member

1. Yes, Yamaha have Jerry Burgess.
    2. Depends on the track.
    3. Yes
    4. I don't think so
    5. Mid-pack; the level at MotoGP is higher than riders from other series realize.
    6. Yes, particularly DePuniet, who nickname is "Crasher" DePuniet....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Melandri is always a serious threat, he probably has the talent that is closest to Rossi's.
    8. Not this year.
    9. Depends on which vetearans you are referring to...Hopper and Edwards yes, Melandri, Capirossi, Rossi, Hayden, and Stoner, no.
    10. Rossi and Hayden are the most likely candidates.

5. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

Why on earth would you not mention Hayden?

6. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Tires. Tyres. Tires.

The new valves won't mean much if the tires under the bike don't get it done.

Rossi has the best chance for catching Stoner if the Japanese tires rule again.

Hayden weighs much more than Pedrosa, so I'm guessing Dani will have a few races to heal/get the bike his way. besides, he says Nicki is no good at setting up the bike.

The Kawi team has so many new things that it will be a tough year, but not as tough as Team Roberts.

Will Suzuki riders make any noise on their evolved chassis and engine? (could they please use a less annoying blue? I have an urge to urinate everytime I see the school bathroom blue color)

7. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

I just want to see some racing for #1.
    I want to see Rossi winning (he is better at celebrating than stoner).
    I want to see Hayden stop getting passed like a grandma on the freeway in the 2nd half of races.
    I want pneumatic valves so that my fabled 2010 1000CC VFR can have them too!
    I want cobras on the track at quatar and mountain lions in the pits at laguna.

Lastly, I want someone to make a bike that accelerates/has power like that ducati. Come on guys... lets make it a race!

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The great J. Burgess has been quoted as saying that the loss of Valentino to Bridgestone will be the biggest obstacle for Michelin. I think it may have just been a blessing in disguise for the Michelin riders..........Now all of the Michelin riders will have the chance to get equal treatment............

Team Who?

If you used Rizla's product, I don't think you'd notice the color so much........

Don't count out Mr. Hayden just yet, the season hasn't even started. BTW WTF are you doing listening to what Dani Pedrosa has to say? DANI PEDROSA said? Sheesh....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  9. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Take the traction controls off (make the rider have to "control" the bike's wheelspin with his right wrist), get rid of the stupid fuel limit, and give them all the same tires (or give them the option of choosing whatever tire they want before a race).

Yeah, I know,mostly dreams.

10. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I could have mentioned at least 50 scenario's on Hayden, Rossi and Stoner, those are the easy ones but the discussion of individuals like Burgess, Toseland, Dovizioso, De Angelis, West and the development of the Japanese engines intrigues me more right now...

PS The Kentucy Kid is my favorite rider

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Nicky indicated, in Cycle News, that he would prefer to run last years engine over the newest pneumatic configuration engine, only one problem - it doesn't fit in the '08 chassis..........

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Talent doesn't always equal results - Marco has struggled massively with his Ducati. Marco completed the 4th day of the Jerez test 14th overall...... he has always been one of my favorites, but I don't see him being a threat right away, if at all :frown: I hope my gut feeling is wrong........

13. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    I too am very interested in the new engines... their development and reliability will go a long way in determining if the Honda, Kawi, and Yamaha riders will keep up with Suzuki & Ducati's experience.

What is your opinion on the screamer Kawasaki tried? Was that an attempt to give the tire a longer break to hook up? I have not heard much other than all the cylinder were firing in very close order.

14. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I can't believe this thread hasn't attracted more attention????????? I guess I'll piss off over to the Aprilia Forum where they talk racing....... :frown:

17. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    I believe this will be a 3 way race this year: Stoner, Rossi and Hayden. R and H will be chasing Stoner all year. Rossi I'm sure has been yelling at everyone to get him a bike and tires that will be competitive before he runs off to drive cars next year. Hayden will SMOKE Pedrosa as long as Danni stays out of his way and doesn't try and crash Hayden out again. Danni gets passed by Rossi the same exact way every race I see. I don't think Danni has any way of beating Rossi unless he crashes him out of the race. Stoner and the Ducati will be practically unbeatable once again but Yamaha and Honda will pull out a few tricks to even out the bikes this year. The rumor I heard is more factories are looking at a version of the desmo for the future...

Of course most people will think i'm full of s#1t...

18. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    who,who

Rossi is the doctor,thought twice putting him more likely than Hayden.They both seem to be most talented,equiptment seems an obstacle at times but "it's not the plane but the pilot"

19. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    And we can GO to the races at Laguna Seca and debate the Umbrella Girls as well. :biggrin: Who's with me?!?!

20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Ah, Yeah........Hmmmmmmm. There is a very complex set of factors involved this year........This will be the most competitive campaign in the last 10 years, both from a mechanical/technological standpoint as well as a mental standpoint. Interesting..........