Motad Cat-less headers for VFR800 Vtec in Australia

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by exfirestorm, Feb 6, 2008.

1. exfirestorm

exfirestorm New Member

Australia
    Map
    When I look back at the mods that I have done to my bike I would have to say that with the exception of the suspension work, the installation of`Motad Headers had the most pronounced positive affect on my bikes performance.

I read numerous posts on cutting out the cat and sourcing early model systems but when I decided I wanted to install a full system I discovered how hard that task was going to be. I went to several bike shops inquiring about the availability of a full system only to be told that no one made one.

Then I stumbled on a reference on a forum to MCPERFORMANCE.`It was 7 o'clock at night and I fired off a question via email to the owner of this company Mark Chaplain. Despite the time of night I had a reply within minutes. Over the course of three more emails that I had arranged for a Motad big bore header system to be sent out to me via COD (cash on delivery).

When I installed the system I rushed and generally went about the install in a hamfisted manner and I destroyed the down pipe join gasket requiring a replacement, once again I got instant feedback and support from Mark Chaplain who contacted Motad in UK and found out a interchangeable gasket was to be found from a GL1500 so I fixed that problem up quick smart.

It is really refreshing to come across someone who really stands behin the products he sells. Via email and phone Mark 'Chappo' Chaplain comes across as a genuinely top bloke.

He is the sole importer of Motad products in Australia but he doesnt act like someone who has no direct competition.

Overall my impression on the Motad Header system is that it is well worth the money (About 945 bucks including postage) The diameter of the bikes is much bigger than the original vtec pipes but is probably the same dimensions as the 99 model. The pipes are made of stainless steel but are painted grey by motad as the polished discolours and is mostly covered by fairings anyway.

The pipes come with plugs for the O2 sensors but if you install a power commander you will have to install power commander's o2 eliminators and most certainly plug the holes with 18mm x 1.5mm pitch sump plug bolts (which i did)

That said the bike fuels surprisingly well with the headers and an after market muffler. If you retain the functionality of the o2 sensors your fuel economy is not only maintained but slightly improved. That said when it comes to pcIII "If you wanna play, you gotta pay"

Anyway give Chappo at MC Performance a call or email

The Website is:

http://www.mcperformance.com.au/

His email is :

mcperformance@bigpond.com

He can for all your other exhaust needs as well. He is more than deserving of this plug that I am giving him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thesal

thesal New Member

Map
    hi mate,
    they look awesome..
    so they help performance a fair bit?
    i hear the vfr's headers are fairly blocked up but the power generally seems ok to me..
    i'm in sydney too, got a black 07 witrh staintunes...
    i like the look of these headers...and if its an extra 6 or 7 kw..might be worth it..
    let us know
    cheers
    Rod

3. exfirestorm

exfirestorm New Member

Australia
    Map
    It's hard to say, it is a definate increase in power and the surging problem dissapeared as soon as I installed them and even before I had installed the power commander.

I think they are worth it

4. Postman

Postman New Member

Finally........ I've been looking for this info for ages!! Thanks exfirestorm.

5. exfirestorm

exfirestorm New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hey guys, I just found an old post of mine on this forum by chance and thought I would give a 12 year update. I still have the same bike and the same Motad Headers, Laser deeptone exhaust and power commander with custom tune. I still ride the bike everyday and bike is just under 100,000km and going strong.
    How is that for a long term review!

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    A group over on VFRD in California developed true performance headers based on the old two brothers racing design. About 25 have been shipped already..

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I would be interested to see the true performance header in a heads up dyno test with the Motad. If it's already been done, I guess I missed it.

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    You missed big time dude....the Motad is more based on the "98/'99 header

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

All I was asking is if they dyno'd them back to back. It was a simple question.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    No - Motad is not in the picture