Mobil 1 Oil disappearing ?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Hingley, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    I was over town this morning to buy Mobil 1 10w40 synthetic oil for my 1990 VFR750 and from what I can see
    this oil is either hard to get or no longer available
    I use to use this oil years ago in my race bikes and had great results with it so I thought it would be the best choice for the VFR.
    I did find Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic oil but I could not get past the thought of the low side ( 0 w ), I know the oil should be the same on the high side ( 40 w ) but I am old school
    Am I really that old and wrong?
    Is there better oils now for this bikes that I am not considering

2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I just did a quick search. Seems to be available on this side of the border.

3. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Since you specifically mentioned Mobil 1 0w40, and without getting into any kind of 'best oil' debate, I'll relate my experience. Caveat, I have nothing scientific to offer. I use 0w40 in all 4 of my presently running bikes, thumper, V-twin, V4, and I4. No problems so far. The most telling experience is related to my R6, she's a track only bike. When I moved from my Aprilia to the R6 for track, a friend told me I would have to get used to the engine 'screaming' at high revs. And I have, she spends most of her time in the 12K+ RPM range. She gets 0w40, granted, I change this oil and filter every 'track year'. Down here, Walmart has a decent price on 5qts of it.

Many would tell you to just go with the manual recommended oil(s). That's great advice and probably your safest bet ...

ACE

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Mobil 1 is available here at Walmart for a good price for 5 quarts like above poster sed. BTW, look at your owners manual for specs on the viscosity oil to use based on your climate. I use a heavier oil here in South FL - I remember when zero oils came out guys on the race track where blowing up there bikes (on that search for 2 extra horse power :loco:) I would not run zero in any of my stuff, thats just me though, MR. SuBjEcTivE :mech: