Mixed tires opinions please

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by DKC, Jan 11, 2015.

1. DKC

DKC New Member

I currently have Dunlop Roadsmarts. They're ok. The front is going to be replaced soon. Thinking about going with a more sporting (sticky) tire up front. Seems like the front wears unevenly/sooner than the rear. If you mixed up your front/rear tire combo; what are you running? And has it worked? My rear tire still has plenty of tread left, I could take it or leave it. Just thought I'd ask if a stickier front helps, matters, etc. Thanks for your opinions.

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I get about twice as many miles out of front tire versus rear.

any good tire will work. 99% of the riders here are incapable of reaching the maximum potential of a decent tire.

3. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    While the quoted poster is quite correct that the vast majority of us will never push even a sport touring tire to its utmost, his dismissal overlooks an important feature of tires, namely their handling characteristics.

I highly recommend the Pirelli Angel G/T for this reason. When I put them on my '09, switching from Dunlop Roadsmart IIs, the bike turned in noticeably more quickly and felt overall quite a lot more nimble. Given the somewhat piggish nature of the VFR, I found this to be a big deal. Coupled with their excellent wet performance and lifespan, I heartily recommend the Angels over any of the other tires I've used (Roadsmart IIs, Michelin Pilot 3s). That being said, the new Pilot 4s are supposed to be really outstanding as well, and if you plan on riding your VFR really hard, but *not* on long touring trips, you may want to consider a sport tire.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I dunno. I have the PR4 right now and have always replaced both at the same time. Right or wrong, that's what I do.

That aside, I would really think hard about putting a stickier tire up front and a less gripping tire on the back. Does that not seem backwards to you? I mean take this to the extreme. You are hot into a corner and your fronts is gripping really well, while your rear is sliding all over the place. The other way around, I would think that the rear, regardless if having more traction that the front, is only tracking as much as the lesser front tire would allow.

My inexperienced opinion.

5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I've always been taught that if you have a stickier tyre, it should be in the front.
    You can control a bit of rear tyre slide if you push that hard, as long as you don't chop the throttle or give it a handfull.
    Much harder to control a front wheel slide. Most of us would be f#%ked.
    Mixing tyres is not a problem, Road Smart II's are pretty old now, and outdated by the new generation tyres available.
    You can't go wrong with any of the top rated sport touring tyres, they are all great.
    I also get two rear to one front, on my second set of Metzeller Z8's at the moment, and loving them.
    Lot's of my friends rave about the PR 3's and 4's.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I run a Michelin Pilot Power 3 (front) and a Pilot Power 2 (rear) as my combo on my 6 Gen and currently have over 10k miles on them, I think it's actually closer to 12k but I'm not at home to confirm mileage. So far they have not let me down in the twisty stuff nor have they shown any signs of abnormal wear. I've ridden in the rain once for nearly 2 hours and never noticed any issues there either, but we were not going at a spirited pace. Since my 6 Gen is my commuter/tourer, I went with the sport touring rear tire, but went full sport on the front to help improve turning. I'm very happy with this combo and may do it again, considering we don't get much rain here in So Cal, I didn't feel the need to go with the PR3 or PR4 just yet. That being said, this weekend has sure given us some rain!

On my 5 Gen I went PP3 (f/r) and so far have been very pleased with them, I'm on my second set now. The previous set got me 5.5k miles out of them so I can't really complain, since this is primarily my "play bike" and all I use it for is sport riding. Considering I got just over 3k out of my Q2's on the Duc, I'll take the extra 2k miles I got from the PP3's and so I also put them on my Duc.

I have not tried the Angel's (GT or ST) but have heard good things about them, but as mentioned before, I'm sure what most of us mere mortals can dish out, most any current tire will blow it off with a shrug. I think similar to oil, riders are brand loyal and will gravitate to what they prefer or know. I've considered going with a PP3/PR4 combo on the 6 Gen but I still have some mileage left to go, by then the rain will subside (hopefully) and my PP3/PR2 combo will be back on.

Hope this is helpful info.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Rather than all this "the tires I run are the best BS" See any or all of the tire manufacturers sites to see what they say aboot mixing tires.

8. DKC

DKC New Member

Thanks all. I'm definitely one of the 99% that hasn't found my tires limits. Always replaced f/r as a matching pair.

Tyarosevich; Thanks for recommending he Angels, especially coming off of Roadsmarts. I'll look into those.

I used to look for most mileage per dollar. Finally at a point where I'll pay for most traction per dollar (and not fuss over less than 12k mi tires!)

Big thanks to all for dropping in. I love this forum.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Based on this response, do you think you would have come to the same conclusion if you avoided posting your original question and went straight to the tire manufacturers websites? Just curious...

10. DKC

DKC New Member

Tire manufacturers want to sell tires. Some of their techno-jargon is nice but doesn't quite translate to the real world experience and feedback from fellow riders (particularly of the same motorcycle). Maybe I should have just said; would anyone recommend using say, an Angel ST rear and GT front .....
    It's fun and games when the rear steps out, not so much when the front tire slides. That is why I ask.

Btw, I appreciated your feedback. It sounds like our riding style maybe similar. Your (and Ty's) opinions are just what I was looking for.

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Or being from Missouri, you could have just said "Show me" :wink:

Ride safe and ATGATT!

Cheers

12. Badbilly

United States
    I sort of figured that if I had a worn out front tire on any bike it just might not grip whatever I was riding on real well.

In a related observation, we'd be in deep shit if the tire manufacturers didn't want to sell tires.

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I think I would first find out why your front wore uneven and so fast, I think you have a suspension problem if that is happening.

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    As far as mixing tires you can, I have know lots of guys that have done it but they were very experienced and could ride the tires off of any manufacturer. I would probably stay with a matched set unless you know what your doing.

15. Badbilly

United States
    That information is probably hidden deep in the technical jargon.. ;)

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Some of the local boys that run Jennings have been know to run mixed tires not only from the same manufacturers but also mix manufacturers and then when the crazy abrasive surface of the track eats up the left side faster than the right they will flip the tire to wear the other side more. They seem to take pride at scoffing at manufactures that specifically say to not run the tire backwards due to belt construction and such. Then again they throw their bikes down the track with glee and have huge spare parts bins.

17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I'm all mixed up. I have an old PR3 on the front that I have run until one side is bald. I have a Shinko 005 on back and well, no real issues, but that may be because I have learned to ride around the difference in profiles. I picked up the Shinko rear in Albuquerque on my way home from Nashville last July when my PR3 rear got bald in the middle and at first I was really nervous having not ridden Shinko before. I even posted here or at VFRD about the suspension feeling weird, but I think it was the profile difference.

That said, I have run hard enough to turn my rear tire blue and the worst that has happened was I have had some minor controlled sliding when hard over, in VTEC and hard on the throttle, but rather than being scared, it was freaking fun as hell!!!!

My PR3 front must have at least 12K miles on it and it's never ever ever made me wonder. The tire's decently scuffed almost to the very edge with no chicken strips. Rear doesn't really show much scuffing, just wear. I'm still trying to decide which way I want to goo when I get new shoes. Hell, I may just go the cheap route and get a 005 front.

The whole point to this being that while I used to always replace tires as a set, I realize now how much useful life I have thrown away on the fronts in doing so, at least with the PR3 tires I have changed in the past. BUT, this is all IMO and YMMV and all those other acronyms... I no longer have any qualms with replacing the rear/front as tread life dictates, vs as a set.

18. DKC

DKC New Member

Well said my friend.

19. DKC

DKC New Member

Thanks Gator. I thought maybe I have a tire pressure issue; too much, too little. Hadn't thought about suspension.

Yeah Lint, that crossed my mind. I'm planning to send wheels to the powder coater but don't need a new rear yet. Not a huge deal. I posted all this when a friend of mine who does a lot of track days suggested the stickier front.
    But he doesn't ride a VFR! ! !

20. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Also, I forgot to add in my post above, that even with the high miles on the front, I have innumerous times been hard on the brakes into the turn right up to the apex and no drama. I've even been too hard on the rear brake and felt it break free in the turn and no surprises. I guess I am writing this to elucidate the point that tire manufacturing has evolved to a point that us mere mortals will rarely out-ride a tire. Even with the front on the wear bars, I have ridden in the rain, conservatively of course, but it still held and I actually caught myself riding faster than when I started out the day.

Trust your rubbers, they'll keep you safe!!! :vtr2: