Mirror Upgrade

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by navig8r01, Feb 27, 2004.

1. navig8r01

navig8r01 New Member

Map
    Does anyone know if aftermarket "CBR" mirrios will fit the VFR. I would think that Honda would use the same mounting base hardware for all sportbikes, I hope at least.

I know AZ Motorsports has Y2K mirrors that fit, but I would really like a set of carbon fibre looking mirrors.

At this point anything to get rid of the crusty 'ol condoms will do!

2. jpete24

jpete24 New Member

Yea, I'm going to have to second that question. I also want to know if a set of newer CBR mirrors fit (2000 F4 or F4i) on the 94 VFR. Also sick of the condoms....where did you find the Y2K mirrors?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I just put some (Y2K Mirrors) on my 96 VFR750 they look great, only thing is that they are nothing special, when I got them in the mail, they came in OEM Honda packing and honda #'s they are VFR 800 mirrors they are selling. I will post the part #'s in a few days so you can cross ref. for the years. SO the Y2k mirror are OEM Honda VFR800 mirrors.

4. WarriorRacer#13

WarriorRacer#13 New Member

The short answer to your questions is NO. The ONLY mirrors that will work on the VFRs up to '99 is CBR 600F2 & F3 mirros, which also have the condoms. The mirrors without the condoms (F4s and '02-up VFRs and 600RRs and 954 and 929s) will NOT work. Trust me...I have a pair of 929 mirrors in my garage that I thought would work. Th eonly way to get exposed stalks without doing some modification or fabrication (which I am going to attempt shortly) is to buy '00 or '01 VFR mirrors straight from Honda. And of course, you can't get them in carbon fiber. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thems the facts.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey there all

I've just recently put a set of the Y2K mirrors on my 97 VFR and I think they look a lot better than the stock ones. I bought them from a company called Dynamo Humm in Eastern Canada. You can find them on their website at www.dynamohumm.com.

They also have a lot of body parts available for the VFR's and they are about half the price of the Honda OEM parts. You can also find a number of parts for other Honda motorcycles as well.

6. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    Take a look at this eBay listing I was watching:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4603032862&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
    Didn't go for it because I've yet to identify the manufacturer. However, the seller swears they are made for a '98 - '01 Interceptor - which would make it a replacement for Y2K mirrors. Therefore, I would expect it to fit "our" earlier models as well.
    Let me know if anyone finds anything out about these - they are beuatiful mirrors.

UPDATED: Just found the manufacturer - they're Targas
    http://www.targa-acc.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?name=upc_code&format=3&value=01-113CF

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  7. SA1713

SA1713 New Member

United States
    The CBR mirrors are shorter than stock VFR mirrors so you'll need to add a spacer to get the same distance.

I've become rather fond of my condoms since I installed a volt meter behind the OEM mirror. Have a look. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17553&hl=

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Mirror replacement

I'm using '01 OEM Honda VFR800 mirrors on my '98 VFR800 and my '95 VFR750. I think they look way better and - no more condoms!

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Okay better chime in here. I have the Y2K mirrors on my 97, Take a look at my gallery, Way better, only thing is, Now I'm looking for a right side mirror as the mirror backing is breaking down and is getting worthless as we speak. I've come across a couple sets on EBay but don't need the left one. Now a little reserach has me finding them at Service Honda.com or 1-800-828-5498 ask for Melissa ext.226 she's a sweetie and I've all ready told her about you guys. Now I'm ordering up a right side for only $64.72 with $9 bucks shipping a lot better than the 95+ dollars ea. at the dealer, part number is 88110-MBG-DO1 for the right side. Give em a call, nice folks and have had a good working relationship.
    Now all that said, saw a couple sets of the carbon fibre look on ebay. I'm always seeing them there, so if thats what your looking for they're there.

10. bdunn12

bdunn12 New Member

To follow up on 91yellowveefer's post. I bought those exact mirrors from ebay and they look and fit great. Just thought that might help relieve some worries.

11. 92yellowveefer

Map
    What year is your veefer? No one at Targa seems to want to commit to these fitting anything other than '98 - '01 models. But since Y2Ks fit such a side range of model years - there's no reason why these wouldn't as well - sounds logical anyway?
    Let me know your thoughts.
    thanks b-dunn

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    The mirror story

I have both a '95 and a '98 VFR. The mirror condoms were driving me wacko.
    So, with a driveway tipover on the '98, I went looking for replacements. Being a cheap fool, I thought I would go look at the aftermarket. My 2 cents on looking and touchy feeling those parts were thery were of low quality and werent going to find a place on my bikes. So, I looked back to Honda OEM. I liked the 2001 VFR800 mirror with a strait stalk so I broke down and bought a set. www.ronayers.com is great for good prices. When I recieved the mirror just by chance I thought I would see if they fit on the '95 and they did fit perfectly. So I dug in my pocketbook and bought another set. So what I know is that the '94 - '97 VFR750 and the '98 - '01 mirror mounting hole patterns are identical, and mirrors are interchangeable. Good luck with yours!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  13. bdunn12

bdunn12 New Member

I have a 98 VFR.

14. VFRFLIER

VFRFLIER New Member

15. 92yellowveefer

Map
    Those are Targa's "Monza" style mirror.
    Take a look at - http://www.targa-acc.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?name=upc_code&value=01-112BK&format=3
    I've actually been looking at the Aero style - I've heard great things about these. They retail for about $60 a pair - so at the price you're seeing on eBay - you're saving 50%. I'd grab them in a heartbeat.

PS if you do score these, make sure you post an update with pix - very curious to see how they look on "our" generation models.

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I have the newer non condum style mirrors on my vfr, if you haven't seen em check my photos.

17. Stonewallsorgi

Stonewallsorgi New Member

Bdunn, do you have any other pics of your bike with those Targa mirrors, like from the front of the bike? And how did they fit on your VFR? I have a 98 too, bought it without any mirrors whatsoever, and I was checking out those Targa's.

Also, were those the Monza's or Aero's?

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I kinda an update as I did more research in what I actually have, and wouldn't ya know, I have 929-954-600rr mirrors. trick here is to only use the stem, not the complete mount. use your old mount tha bolts to the faring and undo the one pinch bolt and slide out the stem then reverse to install wa-la new mirrors that look way better IMO

19. DaViffer

DaViffer New Member

Map
    I have been considering those targa monza mirrors, but they're so much smaller that I worry about losing the function of even having them. I found these

1991-1999 Honda CBR 600 1000 VFR 750 800 Carbon Racing Mirrors: M031-Carbon Motorcycle Parts, Frame Sliders, Mirrors, Tail Lights, Grips, LED Turn Signals, Light, Windscreens, Levers, Accessories, Bar Ends for Honda Kawasaki Suzuki Yamaha – D2Moto.

which are the same size and length as OEM, but they have those stupid condoms on them. Anyone ever cut those off to see what it looks like underneath?

20. Stonewallsorgi

Stonewallsorgi New Member

I went ahead and bout those Targa Monza's. At least, I'm pretty sure they were the Monza's, they were on an Ebay store and they were only $20 with shipping, they look exactly the same. Turns out they fit great on the '98 stock mounting points, with a small amount of work involved. I discarded the mounts that came with the mirrors and it turns out the irror's swivel will thread right onto the main bolt on the veefer's stock mounts. I went a little nuts and drilled a hole into the center of the bolts and popped the plastic piece that comes in the mirror's stalk into the hole (it puts pressure on the swivel to hold it in place when you tighten down the mirrors) to avoid scratching up the bearing and it works perfectly! I'll post pics if you want to see how it works, its pretty simple though.

Also don't worry about limited vision because of they're size, I have them positioned so all I have to do it shrug a shoulder and I can catch a complete view of what's behind me.