Mileage tracking using Google Docs chart API

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by rbucky, May 12, 2010.

1. rbucky

rbucky New Member

Map
    Two of my favorite things are motos and computers. I decided to mesh the two together and utilize Google Chart Tools and Docs to create a graph of mileage over time. The code uses a publicly viewable spreadsheet and API. Check it out at My motorcycle mileage and information | Mark I. Moore

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If graphed for a year starting on 1/1 and ending on 12/31 you should end up close to a bell curve.

The same chart tools can be used to graph the amount of gas generated by a given amount of consumed beans.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Gaussian Curve

4. Badbilly

United States
    Never quite figured out the differences between the two. Can you explain in simple everyday English what the differences are between the two and maybe how the explanation would apply if the original poster lived in Sydney rather than Olympia?

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That is the mathematical term for a bell curve. Common when plotting distribution.

6. Badbilly

United States
    I kind of figured that ol Gertrude Stein was right even though she was either copping Shakespeare, sophist rhetoric devices or maybe even both.

7. rbucky

rbucky New Member

Map
    I would figure a nice bell curve would be about right. I also made a graph of fuel economy on the new OlyVFR site I built tonight.

8. Badbilly

United States
    As a PACNWestie, IMO the Bell (or Gaussian) curve will hold fairly true, that is unless you are entertaining being a rain, snow. sleet and hail rider. Your fuel enconomy graph will end up pretty flat and changes will reflect mostly improved riding skills. Faster=fewer MPG. Try the Stevens-Blewett-Snoqualmie pass run in either direction and your fuel consumption will suck. The upside is that it's great fun.

Check that chain a little more often. The stock chains are OK but they stretch a bit especially when they are new. A good bitsa for a new bike is IMO one of the new all metal oil filters. Ya just wash them out. They amortize after just a few oil/filter changes.

Now I'm wondering if the beans:gas emission construct would not be be better discribed as a Boyles curve?

9. k1c

k1c New Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

This is really Gay Lussacs law in action but it serves to illustrate......

The little red dot represents the expansion, and ultimate escape of, gas at critical mass as the result of the beans:gas reaction. IE, you'd better be wearing those leather pampers Bb is so fond of.

10. rbucky

rbucky New Member

Map
    I ride all year except in snow and ice. Last year I ended up with 3 days where it was totally unsafe to ride. Otherwise, I have been riding in the rain and nasties for some time. I expect a dip in the winter riding as usual. Last month I rode the White Pass to Yakima from Oly ride and my Katana still did fairly well at (42mpg). I expect the fuel injection on the VFR will help increase that number.

11. Badbilly

United States
    There is an entire thread on mileage as a general topic in the archives. You may wish to compare your hopes for greater than 42mpg from your VFR with some of the more valid data after you cut through the BS and the dudes that are at the double nickel 99.99% of the time.

Yeah, snow and ice are not good things. Not much of a fan of the nasty weather. It's one thing to get caught in it and another to go out in it. At least the riders in WA will be a little safer in any environment with the new cellphone legislation. We lobbied that ten years ago. The very odd part was that the legislative chair of the DOT was a bike dude (well, a harleydood to be accurate) and an engineer. Makes one wonder where some of those campaign funds come from.

I love all this sciency stuff and wish to thank K1c for providing the embodiment of a much needed pressure relief orifice, thus proving the beans:gas hypothesis that we shall know from now until time ends, as BB's Law. IMO that little red dot should be pink or brown.

12. k1c

k1c New Member

United States
    Map

I move that the motion to hereafter recognise BB's law be passed in its entirety.