Midwest Track Day?

Discussion in 'USA - Central' started by JamieDaugherty, Oct 13, 2009.

?

Would you attend?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2009.
  1. Heck yeah, I'm there!!!

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Probably, but not 100%

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. It depends

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Probably not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    There's been some chatter between a couple of members and it got me thinking that a trackday is far overdue for this community. It seems like there are good number of VFR folks who enjoy a trackday or two and I think it would be pretty neat to get them all together. It might also be a good opportunity for people who are new at the track experience, or who have never been to the track but wanted to, to get some more experience without the hassles of an 'open' format.

Some of the tracks in this (Midwest area) that could be considered are:
    Putnam Park - Probably the best choice, IMO
    Mid-Ohio - This track is fairly expensive, so keep that in mind
    Others - BeaveRun, Nelson Ledges, Nashville, Gingerman, Grattan are all possibilities

Time frame? I'm imagining next spring sometime. The cost would really depend on how many people sign up. I'd like to see the one day price be $200 or less. We could have three groups/levels with no more than 20-25 riders in each group. There would be lots of planning and prep work to make this happen and make it something that would fit everyone, but that's ok by me. I'll be happy to put in much of the legwork myself. I think it not only sounds doable but also a heck of a lot of fun.

So post it up - what do you guys think?

2. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    Just another FYI - I'm using this poll to gauge interest in an event like this. Please vote as honestly as possible!

3. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    i'm there! i only hope i can bring more than one bike could we make it into a two day thing?

4. AndyJ

AndyJ New Member

I'd be up for it!! I have some experience on four wheels at Nelsons and Beaverun, but still learning on two. I'm planning on doing some schools with Fasttrax at Nelsons in the spring already.

5. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I think its a fine idea

6. Billiam500

Billiam500 New Member

I'd love to finally get on a track! I'm in SE Michigan so Grattan, or Gingerman would be best for me (or Waterford :cool:)
    Road America is worth the trek though...

7. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    bear i didnt know you lived in KY. i was planning on trailering my bikes up there if this happens and you are able to we should meet up

8. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
  9. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Jamie, is this in reference to what Wrestler, Matt, and I were talking about in chat the other day? Just curious.

FYI, if Putnam is chosen out of all this, I know a few others that will be glad to help make this happen, either coaching or attending wise. I've know quite a few people that frequent Putnam. And I've got good ties to Indy Ducati and Triumph that would probably be interested in it.

For me it is going to come down to money, plain and simple. I'm determined to do a track day of some sort next year. Problem being is that I really don't want to take my VFR out on the track. It is my only bike right now and my primary transportation. If I can come up with the money for a track bike, Putnam is totally ok with me.

A weekend with the Kevin Schwantz school at Barber is the other option, with the possibility of a discount down there. I haven't been able to track down this option quite so much yet as we are waiting on the 2010 schedule to come out.

10. steven113

steven113 New Member

I have never done a track day either and barber is the plan for me ASAP. I think it would be a great road trip and plenty to see with the museum and all. Let me know if any of you schedule a trip there!

11. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Steven, shoot me a PM so that I have something to remind me. I'll keep you in the loop on that.

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Jamie for posting this up.

Now I can't make it out to the mid-west, but as a track day rider I wanted to throw my two cents in.

If the logistics of 'renting' a track is too much you can always sign up with NESBA at NESBA : Northeast Sports Bike Association and do some track days with them.

That way their is structure and instruction from the Control Riders.

Just a thought.

BZ

13. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

Keep in mind that we are talking about a VFRWorld day. I may join a date a Putnam with Indy Ducati myself, but that's different. Maybe I'm stepping out a little, but what I was really talking about was not a mixed event - mainly folks from this forum. That's not to say that we would not allow other bikes, but the idea was to have the people from this community involved.

It was also not intended to be a school. Certainly myself and others (selected control riders) would be available for some teaching/training, especially in the morning. The format would be for folks to go around a racetrack at their comfortable level of speed. This would not be a race!

Once again, I'd like to keep it to folks within this community as much as possible. My concern would be that there is not enough interest. That would mean that either 1) we would have to open it up to other groups or 2) raise the price or 3) not have it all. The purpose of this thread is to determine interest so that moving forward there could be an idea of what to expect.

14. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

Getting track time for myself is not a problem - I get plenty of that. It's not just getting "to" the track but rather to pull together VFRWorld folks at an event such as this.

15. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Jamie:

I hear ya brother!

I was just thinking that if you can’t get enough people together to make it cost effective, then ‘maybe’ everybody sign up for a day at whatever track through NESBA.

I just had this image that you need 120 people for cost effectiveness but only have 50 confirmed the NESBA day will still be around 200 bucks and they don’t care if a bunch of VFR’s sign up. It’s a first come first serve basis. And since NESBA has, I think, good passing rules in Beginner and Intermediate group that helps alleviate the ‘newbies’ from being scared away from the race mentality that some track day orgs seem to have.

I know you could run a great track day; again just trying to help.

As a confirmed ‘track day junkie’ I really wish more VFRW members over here near me would join betarace and I at the track.

BZ

16. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    I think we only need about 30-40 guys in order to make it cost effective. That would make the group size fairly small. In fact, I'd prefer to make a limit on the number of riders on the track at any time. If you get more than 25 or so bike in an session it can get a little crowded. That's one of my beefs with trackday organizations - since they are out to make money they will let through the gates as many people that are willing to pay. I've heard horror stories of 50 bikes per session. No thanks!

17. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    When things get ironed out Jamie, maybe I could make it out too!

God willing!

BZ

p.s. NESBA will NOT overboook dates. They are the only ones who don't.

18. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    I understand the wants and concerns of making it a VFRW only event and I would greatly enjoy that as well. I simply offered the addition of local places as fillers to partner with if there is still enough interest to make it happen, but not enough to make it cost effective.

I wouldn't expect this to be treated as a learning event or schooling class. However I know that there would be many of us, myself included, that would highly desire some coaching on the track for many many different reasons and having a few "go to" people designated for this might be a helpful way to draw a few more in on something like this.

At this point I realize that it is just a feeler to see if something like this is feasible. I think that throwing out the ideas that there could be something more than just "you have a track at your disposal, join us if you want" event might just draw a few more of the community in and aid in making this possible. I'm not trying to blow things out of scope, butt heads with anyone, or anything negative in nature. I'm simply trying to help make it happen, whether I am able to join or not.

19. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

That's a good idea, and one that I totally support. I think using it as a learning experience would be a great way to draw more interest.

I don't want to advertise myself as some kind of guru, but I feel like I've got enough race and school experience to be able to help some of the newer to mid-level folks. I would love nothing more than to spend the entire event working with riders who want to learn!

20. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    FYI, I've talked with them at Putnam. They want $5k a day to rent the track. With 25 people that comes out to $200 for the day. I'll leave it to everyone else to figure out the math for X amount of people. The more that come, the cheaper it is for all of us interested.

I see no reason that 20-25 on the track at a time wouldn't work and that gives us plenty of room for 40-50 people. Two groups running in 20-30 minute sessions give us all lots of track time.

Keep in mind guys that a VFRW track day doesn't mean VFR only... I'm sure that having your own track bike or other street bike out on the track wouldn't be a problem with anyone. I personally wouldn't enjoy passing a Street Glide or Road King in every corner though...