Mello's mods

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by mello dude, Feb 22, 2007.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hey 5th genners - vfr2k2 asked about all the mods I have done. So, I thought some of you would be interested in my complete list. It really was a project. Check my gallery for pics. I'll add comments as asked here too..

:eek: Da Mods!:eek:
    VFR800 upper fork tubes
    Super Hawk lower fork legs and internal guts
    Traxxion Dynamics full valving upgrade - excellent
    1.00 km/mm Hyperpro springs - track stiff (Note: July 08, I have gotten so used to the springs, I really have no reason to change anymore, they work very fine. I was thinking of going down in rate, not anymore.)
    Total brake system delink - da bomb!
    -- Still like separate brakes, would do it again.
    RC51 Brake Calipers & Front/Rear master cylinders - impressive
    Suzuki GSXR 1000 Front Brake reservoir - way lower profile than stock Honda.
    Hand built bracketry for reservoir, took 6 tries to get it right
    Spiegler stainless steel custom brake lines on front - nice
    Spiegler brake light pressure switch, nada anymore, crapped out, wentto stock. Just barely
    fit OEM switch to rc51 master cylinder and lever setup
    Yamaha FZ1 brake line manifold (under steering head)
    Mello Dude's Garage custom billet fender bracket -was expensive,but is perfect fit.
    --- Working on Version 3.0 - design tweeks are continuous
    Penske 8981 double adjustable shock - excellent
    1300lb Hyperpro springs -
    Custom remote shock reservoir bracket -
    Heat shield wrapped headers - dont wanna fry the Penske shock!
    Kerker Carbon Fiber slip on - light!
    Pyramid Plastics rear hugger - good idea but needs finagaling to work
    - Chopped it in half and it works better, it does the job, but generally its a piece of shit.
    Custom license lite and fendor chop job - mellos taste
    BMC air filter, Dyno Jet Power Commander 2 -
    Corbin Seat, DB windshield, 2001 mirrors
    4th gen clip-on bars replacing stock - about a bar diameter lower than
    stock 5th gen - I like!
    Super Hawk fan - replaces stocker. Fan blows out instead stocker sucking in.

Dec 2011 -- Revamp entire charging system with Compufire R/R and extra heavy duty connectors and heavy guage wire. Output idle 13.8 - 14.0 volts. Output at 5k revs, 14.33 volts.
    Dec 2011 - added MOTY lithium Iron Phosphate battery

Added lascar voltmeter at the front of the tank mount to watch what is going on. Made up a bracket and standoff of sorts to mount up. Hooked up strait to battery, pos lead with fuse and toogle switch under seat, neg to ground.

Aug2012 - Added a relay to horn circuit, mounted in front of the front cowl stay. The bike had some kinda weird quasi short going on where the bike would hesitant upon hitting the horn button. Relay eliminated problem. Trashed stock horn and replaced with much larger mounted in reverse from stock position. Much louder! Mission accomplished.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds cool, MD. There are a few things I wouldn't mind having, but I'll probably just keep riding instead of taking things apart. ;)

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    For the moment I'm gonna leave mine together, but there seems that there is always a little devil standing on my shoulder going -- "psst, hey what about this?" Probably what has saved me this winter is I bought another car and its parked in my work space. - Gotta get a bigger garage....

- Top on my list is probably back down the front and rear springs 10%. They are a bit rough for droning work.

MD

4. MrHEAT

MrHEAT New Member

Maybe i should move up to a colder climate, seems like when its cold out you have alot of time to fix up your scooter,i hope you made a bike you really like now :),,,good luck with it

5. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Here is a question, I'm 6' 210 lb and ride pretty hard in the twistys but will probable never make it to the track, I noticed you have 1.0 spring rate, on March 16 I have a appointment to have my full suspension done with Race Tech springs and the gold valve kit for the front and a Penske for the rear, The local suspension guru suggested .95, one of my buddies put the .95 in the front and told me he wished he went .90, the suspension guy suggested .95 on one side and .90 on the other to make it a .925, right now I have the choice on what spring rates to put in, what do you think?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  6. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Hey Mellodude, Does it still say honda on the tank? LOL Sounds like some great mods. I agree with Reg. I could not do all those mods it would cut into my ridin time. which is why I got the damn thing. what were you going for? Seems like you could have kept the VFR stock and bought a CBR1000RR or (god forbid, a Busa) Maybe you just have too much time on your hands I'm joking of course. we all buy these things and then we want to personalize them. Mine has a name "girl" she out there right now i can hear callin to me i gotta go ride see ya

7. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    MD--you have a serious gearhead affliction dude!! I love it!:yo:

I've always trusted OEM engineers more than my hack @$$ so I've never done more than Race Tech front, jet kits etc... basic stuff. I've had friends completely blow up their sh!t doing too much engine work etc..

I always worry about resale too, finding folks who know what YOU have can be a risk money wise. I am sure you do it for joy, not bike value per se anyway though...

8. grinder

grinder New Member

OK OK I have to kick off the 5th vs 6th game again. Just a thought. If you did the equivalent mods to a gen6 it would kick the a--e out of a gen5. Not to say moding can't be fun. I've done a few myself but comparing a heavily moded gen5 to a stock gen6 just isn't apples to apples. We all know the stock suspension is a weakness as is the restriction of the stock exhaust system.

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Most of the mods look worthy just confused why you didn't go for USD forks from the 929/954 Fireblade's or VTR SP1/SP2 for a lift in looks as well as handling ? :confused:

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I know why....but I'm not telling........:biggrin: LOL

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    RW - If you weigh 210 - .95 should be good for a street bias bike - A lot of this is personal taste, maybe consider if a tic stiff/soft would bother you. I weigh 180 - 185 and am finding I would like it less stiff for the street work. Right now it pretty much a track set up. I'm thinking for me to get springs at .90 (Stock is at .74)

Another goofy comment - maybe its just me but it just seems bad Karma to mix spring rates - you probably cant tell the difference between .90 or .95.

MD

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I havent figure out how to quote more than one post in a reply so anyhoo - I'll comment to you all here............

Riding a buddys CBR1000RR kinda opened my eyes - no matter how much bucks and mods you do to the viffer its not gonna run or handle as good as a CBR.. That kinda slowed me down a bit on the "all out" mode on mods. (Well sorta anyway). What I also learned that there was no way that you could do a week on the road on the CBR and not have to visit the chiropractor when you get back.

When I started down mod road, I was thinking simple enuff - there was a nasty brake pulsation and I just had enuff of the link brake crap, so I'll just start there and try to go cheap. (Yeah, right..) When I figured out that wasnt gonna work, (brake brackets on stock forks), it was kinda down hill from there. ("OK geek - now what?")

So I'm off to look at fork ideas - and while I drooled at some Ohlins or the RC51 forks, my engineer brain was tugging at me going - With stiffer forks, well - how that gonna work with frame stiffness? Will it spit me off in a high speed sweeper? AAhhh! The curse of the engineer geek! (Yamaha engineers had to stiffen the frame of the 2005 R6 when they went to upside down forks because of the fork/frame stiffness problem.) I even considered for awhile of grabbing a gen 6 frame (it's stiffer) and welding the gen 5 rear bulkhead plates to it. (Money no object, it would be a 6th frame and Ohlins, 5th motor and body, 5th style exhaust, plus brake delink work. --Yeah, grinder, the 6th frame is better than the 5th, but the VTEC motor for me has issues.)

After a beer drinking session with another geek buddy - he reminded me to KISS and near stock forks were the way to go without redesigning the whole bike. So thats my overly long story on how I ended up with the Super hawk fork parts.

Another consideration is that I wanted to duplicate 4th gen ergos. The thought of going thru the aftermarket for the exact bars I want just put me off. I didnt want to buy something, then find out that I didnt like them, then be back to square one again. That could happen several times. So 4th gen bars it is. Perfect ergos.

So I'll add that the final result as a package works extremely well, its easily 2 or 3 level better than stock in brakes and handling. I am a pretty happy camper with it. (Although I'm never done.)

MD :eek:

A year and a half later comment. Geez looking out there now are quite a few guy that have done the RC51 fork conversion or R1 or whatever. That definately looks cool and could function well. Its kind of an itch, but reallistically with the setup I have - on the street the bike just rails where your brain tells it to go. It feels hardwired to my neurons. So far performance wise I want for nothing with the thing, (Well more power would be nice) I think the only way I'm gonna touch its outer envelope is to get it to the track.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  13. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Think you are over worring about the Frame stiffness and if you want the best VFR possible go for it.

Often ride with 2 guys with VFR's USD fork conversions, both are fast road riders and track day junkies. :first:

One has a Gen 6 with USD SP1 front and Wilbers rear and another with a Gen 5 with USD SP2 Front and Ohlins rear, both say the handling is a leap on even upgraded standard and the extra weight of the VFR helps with the compliance of forks so ride is actually smoother and better controlled than standard. Can point you to the conversion steps if you wish.

14. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Sounds pretty cool - I'd like to look at the conversion for fun, but realistically my bucks are spent- doing it twice would be wacko. And I cant really complain about the way the bike works now. Thanks for your input. Maybe someday.

MD

15. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    One last question, the only thing I have left to do is the front brake lines, will their be a major difference and how much should I expect to spend, also what company should I go with?

16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    RW - Are you still stock brakes? I hadnt heard if you were doing the delink shuffle. Did you go with .95 springs? PM me if you want to trade emails direct on this stuff.

MD

17. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Ended up doing gold valves and .95 springs with a Penske rear, and I didn't go the delinking route, PM sent...

18. gogator

gogator New Member

M.D.-tell me about the fenagling part of installing the hugger. I just got mine from superbike store. What problems did you run into and what the hell are the foam strips for? The way I read it, you install the bracket between the swing arm and chain guard goes last? So it hides the stock chain guard and brake lines? I could use the advice before I yank the wheel off and get started. I don't like surprises.

19. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I'm assuming you are talking about a Pyramid plastic product from England. I just took a second look at mine - I havent fooled with it for a while. The stock chain gard stays in place. Everthing mounts over the top of it. The kit comes with 4 threaded stand offs that replace the stock bolts that hold the brake hose clamps down over the 2 brake hoses. Go ahead and start there and replace those bolts first. Then there is a bracket that is supposed to mount on top of these standoffs and yeah over the brake hoses too. That is where I had trouble. I ended up adding spacers on top of the standoffs - my guess a good 1/4 inch or more - to mount the bracket as the fender seemed to want to rub the tire - it was too low - without my own spacers. The fender then mounts to the two holes on the side of the bracket with the bolt and nuts from the kit. Worked out ok there. Then on the very front end of the fender you slide it down into the rear edge of the swing arm and take the huge monster wire tie thingy and loop it thru and pull for all ya got. Thats about it. - I dont remember any foam thingy - so recheck the directions on what is was for. I dont think I used it.

Over all, my comment is yeah it does the job, Do I like it? Well, no. It a flimsy, wobbly piece and given a choise as in next time, I would go for something else maybe a little stiffer - i.e. Carbon Fibre? I think still - that once in a while the thing still hits the rear tyre. I may trim it down a bit to see if that helps.

MD

- P.S. -- I was flippin thru some older posts and discovered that my delink story now has over 3100 views! Holy crap! amazin..:biggrin:

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  20. gogator

gogator New Member

hugger mods

MD,

Thanks for the heads-up. The one I got was Powerbronze. My bracket mounts under the swing arm between chain guide and arm itself. As for flimsy, if thats the case, I'll glass the sucker and shoot it. I like the short fender idea. I have an eliminator set up for it but your looks better and will be way more protective. Nice mods! Ride on brother.