Mechanical wizards needed (handlebar conversion)

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Sport Touring, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Sport Touring

Sport Touring New Member

Czech Republic
    Map
    Hi VFR owners and enthusiasts,

will you please help me with my dilemma?
    I saved up some money to put into my VFR (Fi 01) and I have bought a few upgrades for it (future birthday gifts, you know). I wanted bars and stuff that goes along with it so I got :
    -LSL superbike handlebars conversion kit (+some bar weights to go with them...I want to keep the stock ones in case I want to return to original form)
    -Fren Tubo custom braided brake line kit (longer to be able to route them "stock" way even with higher bars)
    -New steering head bearings ("tapered" set from Tourmax to rid me of old sticky "balls" I've got...No pun intended, when I first wrote this)
    -New (read longer) throttle cables (from 1100 PanEuropean) to keep the cable routing original
    -And finally new chain and sprockets

I've got several questions for people who have done similar mods or just have more experience than me, please.
    I can do the handlebar conversion by myself BUT I cannot do the other "supporting" mods because I lack tools and experience with them (riveter for the chain and I definetely cannot bleed empty brake lines without tools or set the bearings properly without messing up)

1) In which order should I tackle the mods? All at once, or in small portions?

2) If I give this job to a mechanic, how much should I expect to pay? (maybe I could work with him and help him? )

3) Clutch hose was promised by supplier of the LSL kit but none arrived, when I contacted him he said it is a mistake on his web (confirmed by LSL that they do not supply the lines)... I want to do the mods with the stock line which should be possible... If I have to change the line, I will go with braided line as it has to be cheaper than OEM Honda line which costs more than 100$ here. The question is: "Are there any differences between hydraulic clutch line and brake lines/ fittings? Which fluid is used? My guess is it is hydraulic but haven't checked the manual yet.

4) Should I watch out for some specific problems?/ Should the mechanic be prepared for something? He services my friends Varadero (also linked brakes, similar year of manufacture) which he rebuild after a nasty crash from bottom up and he knows his stuff so I trust him but still... VFRs have their specific needs

5) I own the bike for a short time so I don't know much about previous service history. Should I clean the calipers even though they work fine just because the brake lines will be apart?

I will definetly remember something right after I post this so thank you in advance for your help and please have patience with me.

Martin

PS: I have posted this post on VFR Discussion, If you've read it already, sorry for spam.

2. stubbs

stubbs New Member

United States
    1) I’d do the handlebar conversion first but be aware you’ll probably need to leave the brake and clutch master cylinders off of the bars until the longer lines are fitted, which may make transportation to your mechanic difficult! So figure that part out first.

Because of the number of things you’re opening up, it’s easiest to do the new hydraulic lines/throttle cables/bars all at once.

I recently put convertibars on my ‘99, and found that the stock clutch hose worked if I rerouted it behind the triple. However, it’s pretty tight.

Also, I used the st1100 throttle cables as you’re planning but found that the adjusters were not sufficient for some reason to get rid of slack in the setup. Perhaps my cables (used) were stretched. I finally figured out a way to create a spacer for one side of the throttle-body end to tighten things up. Riding with too much slack in the cables was really frustrating. Installing the throttle body end of those cables was also incredibly frustrating!

2) I don’t know how much you’ll pay, but unless you’re good friends with the mechanic they probably won’t want help.

3) The clutch hose is the same as brake hoses on this bike and it uses brake fluid too, unfortunately not mineral oil.

5) I wouldn’t clean the calipers unless you’re aware of a problem, that would add a ton of labor.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    If I was your mechanic, I would charge you more if you helped me.

I've left mine stock so far, so I'm unable to give you any help regarding the mods that you are planning.

4. Sport Touring

Sport Touring New Member

Czech Republic
    Map
    My thoughts exactly. If I start the conversion I have to route the lines non stock way and IF I'm lucky I'd get no fluid loss and get to my mechanic where he could finish the job. IF not, I'm stuck without any means of transporting my bike to him.
    From what I've gathered from other replies this seems to be clear, no helping :)
    This is new information for me, thank you very much! I would have looked it up before I touch the clutch system but still, good to know.
    Ok, thanks! The last thing I need is another ton of labor :)

5. Sport Touring

Sport Touring New Member

Czech Republic
    Map
    :) Ok, thanks for the heads up. Now that I think about it he would be teaching me how to do the jobs I can't do and therefore loosing money in the future + I would definetly get in his way :)

6. Sport Touring

Sport Touring New Member

Czech Republic
    Map
    Thanks guys for your answers! If anyone has different opinions or just wants to add something please go ahead, I want to gather as much info as I can.