MBD and me...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by rhoderage, Aug 21, 2021.

1. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    August 22 2012 I purchased my 2002 VFR800... I've been on VFRWorld for most of this time and its been a tremendous resource.

[​IMG]

BUT you folks have turned me into one of yourselves... and for a few years now I've had real interest in a 5th gen.

In the meantime I moved to a house with a garage. The hunt has been on for a winter project... I've done a lot of work on my 02 and the increased confidence (and quantity of tools) makes me want to try a full rebuild.

Then suddenly a '99 VFR800 got posted locally. Owner just wanted to get rid of it... we emailed and chatted... I rode over to take a look. $900 and 3 hours later he's taking it out of his truck in my driveway. Was it fate? I did NOT expect a VFR to be my <$1000 project, and I couldn't be happier!

So we have a 1999 VFR800. Not quite 47000km. Original colour was yellow. Non-running currently. New battery. Ancient scary tires. No exhaust can. Cheapy ebay REPSOL fairings with paint runs under the clear & decals... good from 10ft [they will attach better than in pics; mount points on bike are tweaked, and there are only a few bolts currently holding all the plastics on... yikes]. Bike lived outdoors for a couple years per the PO, and parts are weathered.

Shout-out to my wife for agreeing and not being angry. I can't believe she was cool with it... she's a keeper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan:

I don't know! The goal of the 'winter project' was to refurbish a bike I wanted to ride on a low budget, ride it next summer, and sell it the following spring unless its a keeper. [I still don't know if I'm allowed to KEEP multiple bikes]. The first step is to get it running... once riding season is over, I will take my 6g tank and hook it to the 5g and see where we are at unless I can de-rust or replace* the current one by then.

Looking forward to some quality garage time over the next year!

I don't have the motivation to run twin threads, so further updates will be on the other site.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    w3bdevil and Neill like this.
  2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
  3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Simple, just de rust the tank - try the electrolysis method first, then look at other means of fixing it. Its very easy and cheap to do. Will just take a couple of days.