Made my own lift

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RllwJoe, Nov 9, 2017.

  1. FJ12rydertoo

    FJ12rydertoo Member

    Country:
    United States
    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2,173
    Likes Received:
    257
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Platte City, MO
    Map
    Looks like it functions more like you wanted it to. Not my cup o'tea, but nicely done.
     
  2. RllwJoe

    RllwJoe Member

    Country:
    United States
    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2017
    Messages:
    955
    Likes Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    78
    Location:
    Western Lower Peninsula, Michigan
    Map
    Oil and Filter change was made much easier on the lift today.

    Raised for Oil Change.jpg Lifted for Oil and Filter Change.jpg

    I was able to pull the lifted bike with the drain pan and tools intact for another photo outside.

    20180421_183040.jpg
     
    Samuel, A.M and Lint like this.
  3. A.M

    A.M Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2015
    Messages:
    2,840
    Likes Received:
    524
    Trophy Points:
    158
    Holy shizzle! How the brain works to engineer stuffs amazes me. That's nuts. You be WOW!!
     
  4. Samuel

    Samuel Member

    Country:
    United States
    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    Messages:
    853
    Likes Received:
    334
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Los Angeles County
    Map
    VERY VERY COOL!!! :D
     
  5. RllwJoe

    RllwJoe Member

    Country:
    United States
    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2017
    Messages:
    955
    Likes Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    78
    Location:
    Western Lower Peninsula, Michigan
    Map
    Four years ago I began to work on this project. I've had some requests for a copy of the plans, dementions/ measurements, etc..

    Well I was, at the time, using "scrap" steel to fabricate my own copy of the Sky Lift. So some of the parts that I used are close to what I was aiming for and I will do my best to point those out to those of you who are interested.

    Before I dive into the details I will tell you that it has worked flawlessly since the change to the ball-screw/ ball-nut mechanism from the failed "double nut" and standard fine thread rod that was first installed. If you don't know what that last sentence is all about you need to look back a bit in this thread.

    Alright then, on to some rough dementions.
     
  6. RllwJoe

    RllwJoe Member

    Country:
    United States
    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2017
    Messages:
    955
    Likes Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    78
    Location:
    Western Lower Peninsula, Michigan
    Map
    At first glance the Abba Sky Lift has a base stance that has four castors that contact the floor. These castors are set as near as I can tell in a rectangle.

    20171202_143112.jpg 20171202_143321.jpg

    The lengths of my copy are ~ 30X40 inches

    20211016_171827.jpg 20211016_171856.jpg
     
  7. RllwJoe

    RllwJoe Member

    Country:
    United States
    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2017
    Messages:
    955
    Likes Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    78
    Location:
    Western Lower Peninsula, Michigan
    Map
    The majority of the tube steel or square-stock used on my copy is 1.5 X 2.5 inch outside measurement.

    20211016_172225.jpg

    This is true of all of the base frame and also of the upright post that the lifting screw is mounted to and that the lifting dolly rides on. The height of the upright is a total of 48 inches measured from the bottom of the frame itself to the top of the tube where the bearing for the ball screw is attached. The handle to turn the screw is above that measurement. The castors add a bit more to the overall height.

    20211016_173232.jpg
     
  8. RllwJoe

    RllwJoe Member

    Country:
    United States
    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2017
    Messages:
    955
    Likes Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    78
    Location:
    Western Lower Peninsula, Michigan
    Map
    Speaking of castors..... At first I used some basic castors that I have that came off of some other project. They contained no ball or needle bearings and as such the lift was hard to move with the VFR on it (all 550-600 lbs of it). I was at the time frequenting a local online "unclamed freight"/"garage sale" type of auction site. They listed eight castors that looked to have actual bearings so I visited the business and looked at them first hand (a big advantage to being local). They looked to be just what I needed so I out bid all the competition to win the lot of eight 3inch castors, 4 that swivel with brakes, and 4 that are fixed without brakes. I have yet to use the fixed ones. I think that I paid less than $20 USD for the lot (the most expensive part of the whole project......for me).

    It was a bonus that they mach the fastest color that a VFR can be!

    I will move on to describe the lifting dolly next, but I need a break for a bit.

    20211016_173936.jpg
     
Related Topics

Share This Page