luggage rack for 91 vfr 750

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by CruisnGrrl, Jun 16, 2010.

1. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

a friend of mine has some givi luggage for his 96 vfr that I wish to buy, will the same givi wingrack fit on my 91 750? if not where can i find a luggage rack?

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If the part numbers for a 91 and 96 are the same it is very likely a fit is possible. Ventura in NZ make a luggage system that uses thier racks. The racks themselves are strong and well made. US rep for Ventura is in Washington State.

3. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    If you're looking to the full Givi Wingrack setup you're stuffed they don't make them any more.

You can get the universal mounting kit but I thought that looked crap, so I ended up canabilising (sp) one from another bike to fit mine and fabricating the bits needed to make it work.

You can (at least could last year) get the kit to mount a top box.

Sorry for being a bit negative, but hope that it helps

4. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

i need the stuff for the side bags

5. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    You're looking for the wingrack mounting kit then. The wingracks and plate for mounting the top box are all the same, but the kit is bike specific.

You might be lucky your side of the Ocean on fleabay. I only found one for sale in the UK over about 9 months that mysteriously disapeared when I bid for it - hence me fabricating my own in the end.

I can't remember now why you can't use the 94 (Gen 4) onwards kit but I concluded that it wouldn't work.

I seam to remember that the mountin bolts on the braces to the foot pegs are rotated by 90 degrees plus the Gen 4 mounts off the grab handle bolts and the Gen 3 bolts to the sub frame If my brain kicks in I'll let you know the details if I can find them.

Tris

6. turboguzzi

turboguzzi New Member

got the older styled winrack (previously monorack?) mounted on my 1990 Gen3, if it'll help you I can take pics

the bike specific HW is pretty simple, could be replicated if you have good hands and a welder.

Cheers

TG

7. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    :worthless:

8. turboguzzi

turboguzzi New Member

hei cruisin'

see if its any help

the three cast parts are always the same, the bike specific hardware is:

a pretty straight sqaurish section tube that attaches to the bottom tube of the rear frame, under the tail side covers. there are two threaded holes that mama honda prepared up fornt

the other is a round tube that attaches to the cast side parts and bolts to the rear passenger brackets

both have left and right parts

Cheers & Ciao

TG

Attached Files:

9. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

well i checked out the mounting hardware for the 94-97 and how it would fit on the 90-93... theres some plastic in the tail section that needs chopping out and good to go. I may do this.

10. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    I am having the same issues with my 90VFR750. I've been wanting to install a monokey GIVI trunk but can't seem to locate the mounting hardware. I am very interested in what becomes of the gen 4 mounting kit if you do buy it. Please let me know how that works out for you.

11. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

basically the one part that doesn't fit is where it bolts on under the seat where the grab handles are. the plastic there gets in the way. on one side my plastic chipped off, the other side it's still there, i'm thinking of dremeling out the area required.

12. thorrinn123

thorrinn123 New Member

if you could take some pics of how it is fitting that would be great help to us other gen 3 owners.....

13. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

might be able to on the weekend, I don't have the gen4 fitting kit, my friend does.

14. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    So, what we're saying here is that all the mounting positions are the same for gen 3 to 4? I don't mind "adjusting" my plastics if I can do it in a nice fashon. Only problem would be if bike were to be sold and you want to keep the trunk. Suppose you could leave the mounting kit. Having never seen the trunk set up, does it include some kind of flat rack piece, or is it simply metal rods that attach to the case?

15. NT696

NT696 New Member

alternative mounting - no cutting required

If you find a generic base to mount the GIVI to, the cowl has four rectangular slots to accept the tabs of a passenger seat cover. If you make metal arms to fit in these tab holes, you probably wont have to cut ito your cowl, as the front two at least are directly supported by the subframe. Just shooting out ideas for you, hope it is helpful.

16. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    If you're going to modify things, it might be worth checking out the Givi mount for the Gen 3 top box alone which is still in production (or it was at the end of last year)

..... and I wish I 'd thought of that last year as the one I fabbed up mounts off the grab handle bolts like the Gen 4 one does - but it was a PIA to build!!

Tris

17. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

I don't know how the gen 3 mount kit fits, i do know how the gen 4 mount kit fits on the gen 3 and what's required to be modified.. basically what you have is the mounting kit, the rack that the bags clip to (in this case i have the wingrack2) and then the bags. the rack and bags can be moved from bike to bike but the mounting kits tend to be bike specific. with regards to the gen 4 on the gen 3 bike, the tail plastics need to be trimmed and bolting the rear foot peg stays is very tight.

will the monorack top box mount allow my wingrack2 to be mounted to the bike? I already have the wingrack2 and have side bags lined up. I am about to order the gen 4 mounting kit.

I also have fjr mounting kit and may be able to bastardize something with that, it came with the wingrack2

18. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    Ok, well I'm still curious to see what becomes of the gen 4 set up. I'm not interested in the side bags, only the topcase (trunk). Looking forward to some pics if possible. Good luck with your install.

19. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    Tris, Think you could snap a photo of what you fabricated for me? Are you using a GIVI monolock case with it?

20. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

If all you're interested in the top case you might take a look at this, it's still made TwistedThrottle.com : Givi Topcase Rack (Honda VFR750F, '90-'93) - Givi F229

Personally I will avoid using a top case, I got rear ended once and if i had a top case or back rest i would have either been crippled or killed.