Lower bars for a '98 vfr800

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by mello dude, Jan 17, 2006.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Anybody ever try mounting Super Hawk bars on the 5th generation VFR? Mine is a '98. Were there any interference problems? I picked up a set from Ebay dirt cheap. The stockers come off as a bit high for me.

2. j.davis

j.davis New Member

About 3 years ago I installed a pair of VTR clip-ons on my '98. At the same time I installed Nissin master cylinders with remote reservoirs, which, because of their size, did bump up against the edges of the dashboard at full turning of the bars. I adjusted the bars and the stops to remedy most of that problem. Had I installed Brembo m-c's or another brand, not so large, the problem probably would not have occurred.

Oh yeah, I also had to saw off the stops on the bottoms of the clip-ons because they weren't compatible with the VFR's upper triple. Also, the locating pins in the VFR's left and right switches don't correspond with the holes in the VTR clip-ons, so you'll either have to drill new holes or cut off the pins.

In spite of these small matters, I don't regret making the switch.

I previously posted some pictures of my bike in the gallery, one of which was shot looking down at the dashboard, but they're kind of small. If you want to look at larger versions, post or send me your email address and I'll send them to you.

jD

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006