Low Beam Headlight

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by prodigalbiker, May 21, 2007.

1. prodigalbiker

prodigalbiker New Member

I have a 1998 VFR800F1 (Australian model). I have noticed that the low beam is on the right side of the bike (we ride on the left of course) and the high beam on the left. Is this normal for the low beam to be on the same side as the oncoming traffic or should they be the other way round? Seems that low beam should be on the left. :confused: If I do swap them around then I presume I will have to change over the low and high beam relays as well... or how does this work? Thanks for any help.

2. bear

bear New Member

Map
    In Canada, both are low beams, and both are high beams. I think you may have two burnt out bulbs (low beam filament on left side, high beam on right side). Swap the bulbs side to side and see if it changes. If it is the wiring, it will not change the outcome.

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    +1. The U.S. bikes are the same, both are low and high beams, so probably it's like what bear said.

4. prodigalbiker

prodigalbiker New Member

Thanks Guys! Sounds quite feasible. I'll give it a try later this week when I can catch a moment and see what happens. :smile:

5. prodigalbiker

prodigalbiker New Member

I have seen the light!

Did as suggested, pulled the bulb out of the left side and lo and behold the low beam filament was blown. Replaced with same rated bulb bought from an auto parts store, bent two of the three projecting flanges on the bulb surround back to let it fit in the hole and now my wee little silver bullet sports two working headlights. Didn't need to take off any fairings or such:biggrin:
    Thanks for the help guys. Was a little concerned that here in Oz some weird configuration had been foisted on we VFR citizens (they do some strange things here)... but all is well. Cheers!!! :wink:
    Note: I had been told by someone that only one headlight came on for low beam as in some other bikes.

6. winaje

winaje New Member

PB, I used to have a Yamaha that only used one light on low beam. I changed the wiring soon after getting it, and it made a huge difference.

Glad to know you got it going. What part of Oz are you in?

7. prodigalbiker

prodigalbiker New Member

I hail from the distant West, past all the dust and crow feathers. I will be interested to see how much difference the extra light makes when travelling at night. On the odd occassion that I ride home at night it might be good to be able to see more to avoid the odd kangaroo that stands at the side of the road deciding whether it wants a close encounter of the unpleasant kind with my bike :bump:
    I don't know about you, but I'm glad the cooler weather has started; was getting awfully fed up of the 35C plus days that often coincided with weekend rides; Often arriving baked and dehydrated; still, tried not to let this stop me enjoying the 'freedom of the road' that the bike offers. Cheers. :smile:

8. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    I presume you bought 55/60W H4s?

Stock globes are 45W, 55/60s are a BIG improvement.

:smile:

9. prodigalbiker

prodigalbiker New Member

Sure did! They were already on the bike, I just replaced the blown one. Very bright light. Can't imagine using anything less. Mind you, I can remember over twenty years ago when I was riding a GS1000ST, that I wished for brighter lights, especially when I rode from Kalgoorlie to Perth a few times at night time! :eek: