loose mirror head

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by 1scoot, May 26, 2003.

1. 1scoot

1scoot New Member

I just bought a 2000 VFR 800. The head of the right side mirror is very loose and will not hold its position. Is their a way to fix this or do I have to replace it. Thanks in advance.

2. spencerl

spencerl New Member

I do not know if this will help you, but on my '98 the mirrors would "slip" back at higher speeds (freeway) so when I had them off to install a new windshield, I pulled the boot pretty high up and tightened the locking mechanism on the arm.

Spencer

3. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Hey Spencer,

My '98 does the exact same thing. The left side mirror will move out of position when I'm on the freeway or something. Do you have to take the windscreen off in order to get to the locking mechanism or can you just pull the boot up?

Tiffany

4. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Can't believe you are all still riding with the ugly rubber sleeve mirrors. Upgrade to model year 2000 and later mirrors for a sleeker look and no wobbling. Best price is at Dynamo Humm for a pair; here's the link:

http://www.dynamohumm.com/VFR98.htm

5. spencerl

spencerl New Member

Hey Tiffany,

I'm a little foggy on it as I was tired and focusing on the windscreen I was installing. I know for sure the windshield does not need to come off to make this adjustment. I believe when I had the mirror off, it was much easier to pull the boot way up and access the tightening screw inside.

Have you removed the mirror yet? Pretty simple, just takes some patience and finese to reinstall (lining up rubber gasket and insert the 2 bolts w/o scratching finish while battling the boot to temporarily keep it out of the way. :p

Let me you if you have any other questions,

Spencer

6. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Hey Spencer,

Went home Friday and decided to take a loo at the mirror. It was pretty simple to adjust. All went well and I was able to get it all put back together without any problems. Thanks for the advice.

I would like to put a pair of the Y2K mirrors on but I just can't see spending $170 or so on them. :-/ I'd rather put $ into something else like a slip on and a K&N or something. Maybe later down the road?!

7. vfrracer

vfrracer New Member

I have the same problem with the Y2k mirror also...
    Stock 99 's are easy to tighten up...not sure what to do with the Y2 k..
    Also there is a guy in Canada if I remember right sells the Y2k's for 55 ,60 $ each.
    Jersey Steve

8. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

I was thinking about this thread. The original question was whether the HEAD of the mirror could be tightened, not the base. All of the responses seem to have assumed he was referring to the base. I am having this problem on my 01'. The mirror is loose at the ball joint between the mirror and the stalk. There is no obvious way to tighten it that I can see. It lets the mirror vibrate to the point where it is almost worthless at highway speeds. I have to wonder if spinning the head one direction or the other might make it tighter??

Adios,