Looking for information on Laconia, NH

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by jrock, Nov 24, 2006.

1. jrock

jrock New Member

Thinking about riding out to Laconia, New Hampshire in early June 2007. I have ridden to Rolling Thunder held in Washington, DC three times and I am interested in some more east coast riding.

2007 is the 84th rally. This distance is 990 miles from Chicago.

I am not interested in Daytona or Sturgis.

I know its mostly H-D and I am very experianced at touring, so I don't need any tips or advice in that regard.

I am looking for information on places to stay, places to visit, roads, bike week itself and any other information that you might think is useful.

http://www.laconiamcweek.com/index.htm

http://www.weirsonline.com/bikeweek.htm

http://www.oldnh.com/bikeweek.html

2. keet

keet New Member

Map
    .........im in NH.....i live about 80 miles north of Laconia....it can be a fun scene "if" the weather is nice,but the past couple years the weather has been "iffy" at best.....
    the traffic going towards the "weirs" can be pretty slow going if u hit the wrong time to get there...not to mention lots of POLICE cruising and flexing their police muscles.....this is just a suggestion.....perhaps u could stay north of the Laconia area and travel down to the daily events....i know there is a hill climb, and there are the usual races at louden.....i havent been in a few years, because im not much of a crowd type....im sure u could easily find lodging north of laconia, or camping,if u like that.....im near franconia, and im pretty sure this far north motels are readily available,also camping...
    hope this helps u a little.
    keet

3. Routemeister

Routemeister New Member

Re Looking for info

I'm not a Harley or a big crowds fan, but if you're looking for some interesting riding to/from Illinois, check out my site: http://home.rochester.rr.com/backroads/
    In particular, the Route "Niagara Falls to..." will keep you entertained on the back roads from Niagara Falls to the Maine Coast and back. The route passes only a few miles north from Laconia on it's way from Lebanon NH to Maine. If you want to truly enjoy New England, then check out the WDGAH routes as well. They all start/end in Lebanon NH, which is about a half day's ride from Laconia, but well outside the range of the cops who keep the clamps on around Laconia.
    Regards, David "Routemeister" Thompson

4. jrock

jrock New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. I will definately be checking out your site.

If anyone else has more info, please post up! :smile:

5. green1

green1 New Member

I usually go to Laconia for the rally/races,its always on the fathers day weekend.this year i want to see the hill Climb and do some touring in the area,i'm getting quite board of the Wiers area .I find its easier to park the bike and take the train into Weirs Beach for the day rather than ride in and take the train back out later.Would be interested in being shown some good roads in the area.

6. Routemeister

Routemeister New Member

http://home.rochester.rr.com/backroads/ has several loop routes that are within a half day's ride from Laconia. Just look for the WDGAH titles in the routes catalog.
    Regards, David "Routemeister" Thompson

7. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    I've long since stopped going up for the annual "weekend" - although my veefer has been there some 8 or 9 times. Here's the thing - that area is the balls to ride, ANY OTHER TIME OF THE YEAR. The "weekend" is not for riding much anymore - more for show. Lot's of hardasses, LOTs of cops, LOTs of traffic. If you do go, go the last weekend, and then after everyone leaves, go ride your ass off. Up through Conway, across the Kancamungus, up through franconia and dixville notch...All great. I posted something in the General forums last year for someone coming in from New York state - look it up, it's a great route that bypasses all of the basic major highways coming in from the west.
    Best of Luck.

8. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    I went in 06' for the first time. It was a blast. Traffic was pretty slow going in and out of town but it is worth going if you have never been. we stay at the twin pines campground, that is where my avitar was taken. I think that is the name anyway. nice place good people plus they have a pool. plus they are only about 6miles from downtown.

9. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    jrock, I may be interested in joining you on your quest. You would be comming right by me on your way. I know a place (B&B) in Groton. I stayed there for a skiing event a couple years ago. The owner was waiting for his new hog to come in the spring. Nice guy, name is Mike. Let me know if you want to hook up and ride. Very nice out there. I May go back this winter in late Feb to do another event at Cannon Mtn.

10. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    Hotels within a 20 mile radius Are booked months in advance of this event...

I've live in NH my entire life and never been... Maybe someday... I have ridden many backrouds in the western part of New Hampshire.. and they are a blast! 149 is still my favorite road..

I'm thinking I might try someday to do it not sure I f I will do it with my current bike though... meh dunno...

11. keet

keet New Member

Map
    hey freewheelburner......i was wondering,what kind of event do u do,pertaining to skiing?....do you "rep" a line of skis?.....i was wondering cause i work at Cannon.....i work at a couple of the lifts....if you are there i might be able to say "hi"....

12. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    I am a ski instructor. I am going for my Level III cert. Not sure if I will go to Cannon or Hunter Mtn. in NY. If you are in the bar/restarant sometime and see the Mgr. for BCG ( Stephanie) Tell her that Captain Beero said hello. Or if you know her call her Shotsie and see what she says.

13. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
    I grew up in Laconia and my friend Chris owns a motel on the water. If you want some info on cool local places to go (swim, eat, hike, good bike roads, etc.) I could get you some info. If you're on a VFR, you could probably get Chris to find you a room at the motel during Bike Week. Bikes have to stay out in the rain, however.

The Weirs Beach/Bike Week thing is fun, but it is mostly a huge "see and be seen" traffic jam.

14. jrock

jrock New Member

I will be on my 2000 VFR. I got a room at a B&B on Scenic Road near the Boot Hill Saloon and the Broken Spoke, but it was expensive. I can cancel with 14 day notice. All the other places wanted a 4-5 night stay and I am only staying two. If your buddy is ok with only a 2 night stay, let me know.

ANY other info you can get me would be very appreciated.

15. jrock

jrock New Member

Absolutely. PM sent.

16. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
  17. jrock

jrock New Member

I think its pine hollow. A lot of people from lbw.net stay there.

18. Cyclenutz

Cyclenutz New Member

I live here as well. Been attending the bike week events my entire life (42).. Its gone downhill IMHO between the rain, the Gestapo and the traffic its just not what it used to be. Still fun for many im sure but I can only look at so many chromed out unrideable noise makers before I get bored. Im close enough to ride my KDX and I get more attention than the guy next to me on his Bourget
    :drink: