Looking for advice ...

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by carlgustav, Aug 16, 2015.

1. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

So I'm going to be up in Port Huron, MI next weekend. From there, I need to go to Madison, WI. I think it would be fun & interesting to go across from Port Huron to Ludington, and catch the ferry over to Manitowoc.

Does anyone have advice or opinions (whoops) about the ferry & crossing?

Will 2 soft ties (I have heli-bars and can't use a canyon dancer) and 2 cam buckle ties be enough?

I'm usually armed when on the road, & I know that MI honors my permit. Also, I know that WI does not. So it is my intent to place my pistol in 'transport only' mode (obviously not easily accessed, not loaded, etc) prior to leaving MI. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Is gear left on the bike fairly safe?

TIA,

ACE

2. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    All I used was 2 cam buckle tie downs to the rear and front on the bikes side stand. All your gear is safe. I even left my jacket down there. Your permit covers WI if it was issued or renewed after March of 2015. Cheaper than dirt has a article about traveling the U.S with a hand gun. I'm about 20 minutes from Manitowoc. Let me know if you want to grab lunch , go for a ride, or go to the local range.

3. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Thanx for the info. Is that 4 tie-downs total, you state 2 to the rear and front? I renewed my permit down here (AL) in 2014 for 5 years, so maybe just transport in WI. Lunch sounds do-able, I've actually never met anyone from this forum (or the 'other one'). I usually travel alone (guess I should shower more often). I'm heading down to Madison/Verona from Manitowoc, to stay at my daughter's place there for a day.

ACE

4. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    Just 1 for the front and 1 for the back. What day you going to be in Manitowoc?

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Haha... I just about did this myself. I was just in the UP the other week ... came from the direction of Duluth, MN ... met my buddies in Newberry, MI ... then we worked our way over to Marquette and back down to La Crosse, WI ... fun trip!

I was supposed to take the ferry and meet them in Ludington, but I worked out the cost and it was significantly cheaper for me to ride ... LOL

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
  7. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

@2wheelRush, I should be there 8/25, right about noon ... unless I take the faster ferry as suggested. I'll have to look at that.

@Jeff, well I like being on boats on the water when I get the chance so slower may not be an issue. And I looked at riding up to Mackinaw city, then across to WI, and down to Madison. But the cost in add'l vacation day(s) nixed that :smile:. My planned loop from N. AL up to MI, over to WI, down to MO by way of Iowa, then back to AL already has a few days allotted. One wedding, a visit with daughter/son-in-law, a visit with father/wife, and a visit with best friend, is all thrown in there for good measure :biggrin:.

ACE

8. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

@Jeff, just checked the faster ferry rates ... woah, if I'm reading it right, there's $44 for the bike & $86.50 for me! From the site: Please note motorcycle prices do not include driver or any additional passengers. So I assume the $44 does not include me, le driver :biggrin: ...

ACE

9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yah, both ferries charge that way ... it's not cheap.

Both will charge you for:

1. You
    2. Your motorcycle

I think the cheapest was $115 combined on the slower ferry ... 4-4.5 hours if memory serves. They do have state rooms if you wish to sleep as well.

EDIT: The slower of the two (SS Badger) is $105 USD for you and your bike one way.

10. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Yeah, I see all that now. And I understand why you rode. But, my wife's no longer with us, the kids are grown & on their own, I only have me to spend $$ on :biggrin: ... so the slower ferry it shall be ...

ACE

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Sorry to hear about the wife.

Please make sure to let us know how the ferry ride goes ...

12. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Thanx, it was an accident at home ... but it's been a # of years now & the kids/I have dealt. She won't be forgotten, and life has to proceed.

I'm all set to cross on Tues. next week, I'll try to post something when I get back home.

ACE

13. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    And here we bitch about BC Ferries to Vancouver Island at $66.00 for bike and rider. SHeesh!

14. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Made my loop, including boat ride ...

So 11 days away, with 5 in the saddle & 1895 miles later, I'm back home. I enjoyed the lake crossing, even at 4 hours on the slow boat. This is the boat for those who haven't seen such:
    View attachment 32856

And this is my bike in the boat, foreground:
    View attachment 32857

I should be using the term ship, she's big. The Tues morning crossing seemed light on passengers, just a few of us with bikes, some cars, & some 18 wheelers on board. The guy telling us how to tie down was helpful ... you attach your tie-downs to grating on the floor. My side-stand foot is small & this could've been a problem as it almost fit in the grating. Luckily, I carry a plate to put under my stand for soft ground, & I used this for stability. We left our gear on our bikes for the most part (some wore their riding gear up). I left my riding jacket/pants on my bike, & changed out of boots into street shoes for the 4 hours, leaving my boots laying under my bike. I used a small travel backpack to take necessities to the upper decks with me (e.g. kindle, light jacket, etc) as you are not allowed back into the hold until the ship docks. The ship had comfortable, semi-reclining padded seats in a # of areas around the closed-in decks. There was a small museum area for napping or reading (quiet area), a small movie theatre, a video arcade area, kids playroom, drink bar & breakfast buffet (food was mediocre for price), and another snack bar on a different deck. There were a limited # of staterooms, I did not pay the xtra $$ for one, not for just 4 hours. And, 'world renowned' bingo went on in the main lounge for almost the entire trip ... :rolleyes:. All of this info is available on the SS Badger website for those who may want to use this ferry. It was a cold/grey day & not great for using the outdoor seating scattered all over the ship. The crossing was smooth as silk, I don't think any of our bikes shifted as much as an inch. I felt a little rushed getting tied down, & again when it was time to leave. The others on bikes seemed to be set up better for getting on/off. I'm sure it was a combination of my inexperience & OCD. I'm one who likes to have things placed around my bike, and on my person, in a particular way.

Side note, I think the profile of the Saddlemen seat worked out well, certainly better than stock for the # of days I was on the bike. Also, my Q3 rear tire suffered very little squaring off for a sport oriented tire, less than I expected. Overall, it was a fun thing to do.

Thanks to 2wheelrush for info/correspondence before/during/after this leg of my adventure while I was on the road :thumbsup:.

ACE

I forgot to mention, when you are pulling into the loading area, there is an employee with a clipboard & an explosive sniffing dog ... you are asked if you have firearms (there is also a sign stating you must declare same). I fudged a bit in that I stated I had a 'relic' with me, not in firing condition. This was true, in that my carry gun is classified as a 'curio & relic', obtained on a FFL03 license. And it was not in firing condition as I had field stripped it. So I felt 90% in compliance ...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  15. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice pics. Just as I remembered. The price didn't go up much. We payed that with the wife and I years ago. Same overcast gloomy day also. It's an experience that's for sure. Glad you had fun. Sorry we couldn't meet for lunch. Got put on days for 2 weeks. Back to nights next week. Well maybe we will meet some day.

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    When wifey and I were over there a few years back we took one of those ferries across the water from Wales to Ireland. I quite enjoyed the relaxing boat ride. Coming back it was a little rough though. Wife did not like the jarring of the boat but I thought is was a hoot.