Looking for a How-To: Mod damper rod forks for cartridge

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Captain 80s, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I know it's been done, I just can't find a good tutorial or write up on doing it.

I want to take the chome tubes from say a 1991 F2 and modify the lower ends so the opening will allow the cartridge internals from a 94 F2 to pass thru.

I've read "just pry it out" or "just grind it down" with no pictures or good descriptions. They sound like hacks.

I have some old bent tubes I can experiment on, but I would really like to see how others have done it so I can choose which method I like for a proper job, if that's possible.

And maybe it's just not a good idea. But I've got a perfect set of 91 chrome tubes and some un-molested, but pitted, 1994 F2 forks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Doing some cyber-stalking today. The attachment sort of answers your question (or at least shows how the Italians do it).

I put a cartridge into my ST1100, the right leg has a cartridge standard, but the left is a TRAC/damper rod. I simply bought an extra right leg cart and cap, and slotted it in there minus the oil lock piece (which didn't fit). However...the ST cartridge has an internal top-out spring on the damper shaft, so no need to consider the interface between the end of the fork tube and an external top-out spring. That will be essential on your CBR forks I think, as will the fit with the oil-lock piece.

Attached Files:

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Thanks for the response. I've seen those instructions before, maybe I'll put a test tube on the lathe at work and see. The CB-1 forks tubes I thought I was gonna modify and use on the Hawk were not as nice as I thought, 1 was perfect, the other had issues right in the seal swipe area. So I had to revert to the original NT tubes with Emulators for now.