Lookiie here!

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Outboard John, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

So I got home from a trade show in Ls Vegas last night and lookie what the Post Ladie left me. I have been wanting to purchase a helmet with a Transitions shield and had decided to go with a Bell RS-1. I was told by the Shoei rep at the motorcycle show that Bell had a five year exclusive with Transitions for the shields but that 2014 marked the end and that Shoei would have them available this year, for $169, ouch! So I stumbled across this Akuma helmet (new) on Amazon, sold through Motobuys and the ad said it included a Solfx Transitions shield for $399. A little search on Webikeworld.com helmet reviews showed this to be one of the three lightest fullface helmets they have ever reviewed, and gave it a pretty favorable review overall. So I order it. Well Motobuys contacts me to inform that their ad is in error and that Akuma had issues with the production of the Transitions shields and had discontinued them. Bummer!!!! Well I was alredy pumped to get this super light helmet, and Motobuys offered me a $50 discount on the helmet, soooooooo, I'm an owner. It sure is purdy. Will let you guys know what I think after a ride.
    John

Attached Files:

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks sharp.

You gonna wear that on the boat scootin across the lake at 95?

3. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Good memory! Not a bad idea, with the shield closed at least I could see:crazy: my eyes water like crazy at that speed.
    John

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sooooooooo , how is the fit buying it on line and not tryin it on fer size? How loud is the wind ? Looks very seeeeeet.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

What would be awesome is if they (any manufacturer) made a pin lock lens that had the "transition" capabilities to it. Then you could get the best of two worlds. Looks like a decent helmet, is it DOT and/or Snell certified?

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    John
    Didn't I told you stop spending on me :rolleyes: Did you get size small? :pound:
    Nice looking lid bud, yeah that would be perfect to hit the water with that on.

7. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Dot but not Snell. Scub, your in luck, I did get the small:lemo: the fit is good, Webikeworld does great reviews, they rate the fit by shape and usually compare the fit to a couple of other helmets. The helmet that I have been using for the last few years that I like quite a bit is a HJC FS-15 carbon, I got lucky I guess with the fit as it was also an online purchase. Got it in a small and the shape was way better for me than the Shoei RF 1000 that I had been wearing, very happy! Than after a year or two I noticed that I was constantly pulling the helmet down by the chin bar (getting loose) so I ordered the x-small cheek pads and head liner, fit better than ever! So webikeworld's review said that these helmets ran a bit small and recommended to order up a size so I just went with the small and the initial impression is that it seems to fit well, snug and no pressure points. Still wish that it had a Transitions shield.:frown-new: Hopefully will be able to ride this weekend and check it out, I'm in the middle of doing a little paint touch up on the lower right fairing (low speed drop last year), yes Long, I'm picky:crazy: I know. OK, I'm off to the bowling league now, catch you all later,,,,,,,,,,bowling and IPA, yum:bowl::drink:
    John

8. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
  9. nih

nih New Member

Map
    i have bell trans lens on revolver, prob getting RS-1 this year, same shield. sucks they discont them on that model helmet, looks nice.

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I hear that pinlok has stopped making the dark insert for their clear face shields. They want your to buy a dark and a clear face shield and just use a clear insert. Isn't that the dumbest thing you ever heard. So much for the ease of packing both light and dark on trips.