Long Distance Comfort?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by SilverRider, Apr 2, 2016.

1. SilverRider

SilverRider New Member

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone had some advice for me for long distance rides. I own a 2008 vfr and recently drove it about 250 miles to college. I enjoyed the ride a lot, and for the most part stayed very comfortable. I would have liked to taken back highways the whole time but due to the path I did have to ride on interstate for a while. The most discomfort I had was in my throttle hand just from having to keep it on the throttle the whole time. I know that there are throttle locks and other things but if anyone can give me any general long distance comfort or riding info that would be great! Thanks!

2. troutkiller

troutkiller New Member

Map
    heli bars and a sergeant seat can make all the difference. lots of throttle locks out there, just find one you like at a price you can handle. there areaftermarket windscreens out there too and some people love them. ive never tried one. a sena communicator can make rides more enjoyable too. there are other brands too but i like sena. you can talk on your phone, listen to music, get audio gps directions and the newer models have noise cancelation kinda like those hi dollar bose headphones.

if i had to pick the one thing that helped me the most it would be my heli bars, hands down

osoamazin likes this.
  3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map

Hello again - where have you been? Joined in 2014 and still no photos of this mythical VFR!

As for throttle locks this is what I fitted - cheap - a bit fiddly to set up (as I already have heated grips) - but then it is easy to use and most people won't know its there.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/invisible.html

On gradients speed will vary with a throttle lock applied - so whilst its great to be able to relax your grip on the throttle from time to time - don't forget to watch your speedo.

Take care

SkiMad

4. Veefer Madness

Veefer Madness New Member

Cheap and effective comfort fixes: a Go-cruise throttle lock for less than $20 and I just saw a guy selling Genmar risers on the classifieds here for $40 and that really helped my wrists. If your ass doesn't bother you don't worry about it but if it does, I had my saddle reworked by Spencer at greatdaytoride for around $100 and for me personally, those three minor mods doubled the miles I can do on a VFR comfortably.

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Crampbuster. Couple bucks at your local moto dealer. Installs in seconds. Clips on to end of your throttle grip. Provides a little shelf for your hand, you also don't have to grip and turn the throttle. Just press down with the bottom of your palm. If your wrist is getting a bit sore, simply adjust the plastic thing up higher for a new angle.

Note: Just be careful. It's very easy to grab a fist full of throttle when doing tight quarters (parking lot) maneuvering or u-turns will this thing clipped on. Get used to using it (and make sure your clutch hand is lightening quick)
    [​IMG]

Oh, yeah. Helibars for sure when you get the $$.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Are the one's in chrome for Harleys?

7. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    They're not HD branded, so I assume they're for metric cruisers. They also don't have a spot to attach a tassel

8. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    I commute 140 miles per day for work. Sargent seat is next on the buy list, once commission check drops in. Tried the CB throttle assists on my previous bikes and always felt a "battle" due to size. Last 3 bikes ( and currently on my '04 VFR) is the smaller Kuryakyn version. I personally like it toms better as it does the job but I don't feel it's in the way.. http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/262/universal-throttle-boss

9. Ozz

Ozz New Member

After almost 2 years I installed the Helibar risers and love them. Made a huge difference in comfort. I agree with Troutkiller about communications. The Sena 20S is awesome and I use my Bose earbuds with them - they act as earplugs but with great sound. Have not changed the seat, but I haven't had an issue with it. I have had several 400+ miles and it was my knees and arms that were uncomfortable. Looking now at peg extenders.

10. vulgar1

vulgar1 New Member

United States
    I use a throttle lock and a cramp buster for super slab time. Take off the cramp buster all the rest of the time. I have added BLS lowering pegs, heli-bars, and a Russell Day Long seat. It's perfect now.

I also run Sena unit for music and talking to the wife when needed. I recommend all of them. The seat and bars did the most for me personally. Those are the upgrades I can't live without.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I think in the future I may try sending seat off to Spencer great day to ride. Over in the other barn, hear some say that it makes it feel just as good as the other aftermarket seats at much lesser expense. I put the Genmars on mine and that made a big difference. I used to be able to ride 2-3 hours tops and my hand was barely able to move. Went on trip couple months ago and went 4 1/2 hours. Yes, hand still gets tired but I am able to go for few hours now and no worries. Helibars might be little more effective (but I cannot speak for them) but I will sacrifice a little more comfort for the cleaner look on bike.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

12. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
  13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Works excellent

14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If you're lucky enough to be Norwegian, you'll be sayin "Raeva me verker", and i've used the idle speed adjusting screw for a cruise control (unwisely) a few times. It feels great to have your bike driving YOU but keep lookin far ahead. :sneakiness:

15. Veefer Madness

Veefer Madness New Member

Another good thing about throttle locks is if you get stuck behind a string of cars you can't safely get by on downhill twisties you can go no-hands and work on your body English and keep from being bored until it's safe to pass. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

16. troutkiller

troutkiller New Member

Map
    everyone has their preferences but, if youre looking for a super slick,lo profile throttle lock check out the kaoko's. a bit pricey but you wont even know that their there till you wanna use them. sorry, i dont have a link to post. google that shit

17. RubiconMike

RubiconMike New Member

United States
    I have a write-up here about installing a Vista throttle lock: https://vfrworld.com/threads/adding-a-vista-cruise-throttle-lock-to-a-6th-gen.57061/

On my first 2007 VFR, I added the Heli-Bars, a Givi windscreen, and Throttlemeister bar end throttle lock. The Heli-Bars helped take some weight off my wrists and hands. The Givi windscreen was the most wind protection I could find for a VFR. Windscreens seem to be a lot of personal preference, depending on your size and where you like the wind to hit you. I didn't like the Throttlemeister bar end throttle locks though. I had to take my hand off the throttle to set and release it - I don't know, maybe I wasn't using it right but I always missed my old Vista lock. Easy on-off with a flick of the thumb.

Just got a 2002 VFR that had GenMar handlebar spacers. I replaced them with Heli-Bars, added the same Givi windscreen, and installed a Vista throttle lock. The GenMar risers were OK, just didn't raise the bars enough, and the caps covered the fork adjusters. One of these days I'm going to clean them up and put them on sale here.

Everybody has their own preferences as to what they want from their motorcycle, and what makes it comfortable for them. This setup is what worked for me.

Windscreen: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-d217s-windscreen-honda-vfr800-2002-2011