Latest New Guy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lee Hanson, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Lee Hanson

Lee Hanson New Member

United States
    I have been riding all my 54 years, Mom packed diapers for me and put me on the tank of her BMW in front of her. Had mostly BMWs, but there's a couple of DP Hondas in our garage, along with an RD400 Daytona and a Ninja 600 that needs a little TLC. Oh, and a Honda Rebel I bought for the wife to ride before she buys her Indian.

Adult son just bought a '85 VF500F with a little help for me. Less than 20k miles, seller says it was a basket case and he put it back together. We have about $900 of receipts, including: carb cleaning/synch, new battery, new rear tire, flush and refill coolant, exhaust manifold gaskets, new air filter, new spark plugs.

So far, runs good. There are problems with the starter button (no spring, so it hangs up), and the front brakes aren't what we expected in terms of power and feel. Probably just need to be repadded, bled, and cleaned.

So, what should we be aware of? Every bike has it's issues, and I'm sure this one has some. I have come to understand that valve adjustment is critical (show me a 10K plus redline tappet motor that it's not).

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    low mileage, should be OK below 9k rpms but you need luck.

keep rpms not too high.

250 rebel ??> no skill needed, keep wife in kitchen.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019