Just won a 2006 abs VFR bid on ebay-4264 miles on it mint shape-Looks like.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sunofwolf, Sep 11, 2013.

1. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ebay number 200960332938-to see pics of a Black 2005 VFR 800- Sunofwolf won it! I used to have a Yamaha R6 600, I think this bike is much better. I plan on new tires,oil change, ect. I am shipping bike so don't know when I will get it! $4500 for the VFR 800.:chaingun:

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

From the pictures on the eBay listing it looks like you have a stunning new ride at a very fair price. The zero gravity screen and spooky tank graphics make the machine look quite menacing... Hope it proves to be every bit as good when you finally get it.

It looks like it was someone's pride and joy but with a bike that clean - I would be tempted to say get some frame sliders asap as it would be a real shame to see that gleaming bike suffering gravel rash!

PS its not a 2005 - it looks like you have a 2006+ ABS model as the earlier version had amber indicator lenses.

Take care

SkiMad

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    When winning one of those EBay auction type deals, is there a mechanism in place other than pitching a bitch if the "purchased" item is not what the buyer is led to believe or is it just caveat emptor?

A policy taking effect on Craigslist sometime in future states that internet pix of items are not allowed and the pic must be of the item offered.

A simple answer will do. I can buy jailhouse lawyers all day on Ebay..

4. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Badbilly - In short Yes

Indeed that safeguard is an important factor in why eBay got to be one of the biggest online auction sites on the planet, handling sales ranging from a box of matches through to a passenger aircraft.

(I suspect the process is similar in the States) In the EU there is a strong dispute resolution procedure on eBay which errs on the side of the buyer who has a reasonable right to expect honesty from the seller requiring all material faults with the item clearly declared in the listing - that's why people often include loads of pictures to show even minor scratches damage etc - But its the buyers responsibility to read it all - carefully!!!

Buyers bid on the basis that they are fully content to purchase the item as described in the listing together with any faults reported or shown in the listing.

The dispute resolution process (applies to anything sold on eBay not just expensive items) and would only kick-in if the buyer finds something material is wrong with the item which the seller will have clearly known about and was not declared in the listing. - Like the gearbox in a motorbike was making alarming noises, but they failed to mention that in the listing.

The dispute resolution process is a bit protracted but where an item is not as described - there is a clear timetable during which a buyer can lodge a formal dispute and if a suitable resolution cannot be found with the seller (The process gives buyer and seller a chance to agree on some financial adjustment ), then the seller has to reimburse the buyer. With most items paid via Paypal or other electronic transfer eBay can simply reverse the transaction if a solution is not found. The details of how it would work are set out on the eBay website. I can't comment on other auction sites operating in the USA...

SkiMad

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    It would seem then that there are differences that vary from place to place. As an analogy we, as do likely folks across various ponds have small claims "courts" . Great stuff if ya win but the court is of zero help when it comes to collecting only stipulating that the restitution is due.

I could have done without the opening sales pitch BTW.. Bigger is not always better unless one is a die hard harleydood. ;)

Craigslist is not an auction site. Quite different and an interesting concept. Very popular here but certainly far from scam free. Caveat Emptor X 2 ..

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    +1 Skimad 05 is Silver :rolleyes:
    :welcome: to the zoo mate. Enjoy your new ride she is prutty :love:

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I know its not a 2005, I just put the wrong date in, I wanted a 2006 abs due to it having all the updates they ever did that matter. So far I am not having any trouble with the sale and will be shipping to my door soon. The first thing I will do is put a little gas in to test the engine. This is the third time I bought a car or motorcycle around ebay,it went ok-you never know though. I spoke to the guy who sold it to me before I bid on it and got the bike right at the reserve price-that was lucky. I priced this bike out and I looks to be worth around $6000 in the shape its in. I know it needs new tires and sliders first thing:hss:

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Congratulations and Welcome to The World! First thing to do is ditch those Dunlop RS2s! and then flush/fill all the fluids, especially the clutch/brake fluid. Hopefully she will arrive soon as looking as good as the photos.

Cheers!

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    What would be a good set of sliders, I have a garage that has a little steep incline and I would hate to drop it-much heavy then my old bike!:spider::spider:

10. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Where are you coming from to pick it up? That's 2 1/2 hrs from my stomping grounds

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Anone know of a great shipper-coming from chicago-to maine-thats 1100miles of shipping

I got a shipping estimate of $688 for 1100 miles of travel by truck:crazy:

12. just phil

just phil New Member

Jump on a plane & ride it home!

13. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    1100 miles-too much for me-shipping is the only way for me!

14. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Uship is what I used cost me $550 from Ok to South Cal :wink:

15. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Sunofwolf, fly into O'Hare and I will give you a ride to go get it. Carpentersville is about 20 miles northwest of me. You can ride it back to my house and we can go through any problems. Local Honda shop is 3 miles from my house. For $688 shipping you can save money and buy 3 nights of hotel rooms on the way back to Maine. This would be a great fall ride and you could be back home in 3 days doing only 350 miles a day. Very easy on a VFR. It would be a ride you would never forget! I would even tag along for the first 150 miles.

Go for it!

16. surfandski

surfandski New Member

United States
    Map
    Dude, that is a steal. Even spending $500 to ship it, you are still on top. Great buy.

17. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Great idea Maggot!:thumb:

Sounds a brilliant solution and a perfect example of what is so good about this worldwide Forum.

PS Sunofwolf - if you decide to start your VFR experience with a Road-Trip we will want pictures!!!!

SkiMad

18. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    They are not just heavy, as you will discover the weight is quite high up, and it will pass the point of no return a lot quicker than other bikes. I have tested and can recommend the frame sliders made by R & G Racing. They will help minimise damage to your bike from a tip over and worked perfectly when the bike went on a low speed slide to the kerb thanks to a diesel spill on a wet roundabout.

R&G Frame Sliders for Honda VFR800 '02-'11 "Classic Style" - Frame Sliders - Bike Protection - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com

They are not cheap as they use heavy duty materials required for these heavy bikes and come complete with a replacement coolant bottle which allows the sliders to be bolted direct to the bike frame. They will however involve cutting two holes into the fairing, but if done with care, should not detract from the bike value. NB There are some "no cut" sliders out there but I really can't say whether they work as well.

Hope that helps

SkiMad

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I would love to take that 1100 mile ride,but just have too much going on. I have a shipper now $688 with $8000 worth of shipping insurance no deductible. I think , those sliders are the ones for me-I need the real heavy duty kind. I wonder if I could lower the bike a inch or maybe 11/2 inches-that would make it a bit less top heavy. My pants inseam is 30 inches. My last bike was also top heavy especially with fuel tank of gas -r6 seat height 32.5. VFR is 31.7 I think. One trick I learned is not to ride with a fuel tank unless going on a big trip. I was looking for a 2006 abs vrf with low miles in mint shape-in black that's a rare bike-so I wasn't going to find one without looking far and wide. I would have got a 2006-2008 model too. This is a huge project for me to get back into riding again!:kev:

20. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    That was a full fuel tank, I wasn't going to ride with no fuel tank:potstir: Less gas in the fuel is less top heavy!