Just Ran A 10.82 At 127.4 Last Night

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by CandyRedRC46, Jan 18, 2014.

1. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    So I finally went out to Orlando Speed World again last night and wound up going really fast. My best time of the night was a 10.828 at 127.41 mph. I am pretty happy with this, but still need to go faster. The bike has more than enough power to run 10.5's, I just need to work on keeping that front wheel down.

If you look at the bike numbers.
    I am number 43 on my 2007 vfr800.
    My friend Tyler is number 51 on his 2012 cbr1000rr
    and number 50 was a guy I met there on a Buell 1125cr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a Two Brothers full system, Pipercross air filter, 2002 Yamaha R6 velocity stacks, ported throttle bodies, Rapid Bike 2 fuel/ignition module and I have removed the snorkel, flapper, evap canister, pair valves, o2 sensor and all unnecessary gear such as the mirrors, passenger pegs/handles and center stand. Also I recently did a brake delink with a 2005 Yamaha R1 front end.

Besides the brake delink and R1 front end conversion, another thing I tried differently this time around was a new Ti-moly 2 (titanium-molybdenum alloy for added strength and less mass) sprocket kit from Sidewinder Sprockets. I went with their 520 conversion kit, in the non O-ring race variant, with a one down three up sprocket tooth count. That non o-ring chain has virtually no friction when compared to the typical o-ring equipped chains and is really amazing to feel in your hand as it has almost no resistance to movement and drive down the road in 6th gear feeling like you at at 0.1% throttle openings, it is a cool/eerie feeling. The Sidewinder Sprockets Ti-Moly 2 sprockets are lifetime warrantied so I couldn't pass those up.

When I installed the sprocket kit, I set the tire all the way back in its farthest chain adjustment setting and cut the chain to that length. So this way I would have the longest wheel base possible. Also I lowered the bike an inch in the rear(flipped the triangle plates) and put lowering straps up front. The lower and longer stance plus fork straps helps to keep wheelies some what in check, but with all the extra power this bike is making combined with the super light weight and short gearing sprocket kit, keeping the front tire on the ground takes extreme right hand restraint and smooth clutch hand feathering control.(I am also running 100 pound Barnett clutch springs, thanks Toe Cutter for that idea!!)

I also got a chance to weigh my bike while I was out there and I can now officially say, that it's weight with 1 gallon of fuel in the tank, ready to race is 460 pounds on the dot!

I just want to add that I am not commuting on the bike stretched in lowered, I am just doing it for drag race events. I like turning lol! Also on the two runs that were in the 11's, that was because I did two monster wheelies on them. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on those pictures shortly. They came out awesome!

(edit 9/13/16 after putting the side winder sprocket kit through some miles, the alloy sprockets only last a few hundred miles, the non oring chains only last a few hundred miles, and the supposedly indestructible titanium sprockets and chains only last a few thousand miles. Side winder honored the warranty for a few more chains and sprockets and then stopped returning my phone calls and emails. Looks like they went into hiding and rebranded)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I know zero about drag racing, but what if you left the stock height, i.e. - one inch higher. So the front has to rotate more around the rear wheel axis if it does wheelie? Just curious...

3. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    That's what I was doing last time but with a shorter wheel base. It was crazy how easy it wheelied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Bloody well done!!
    You are driving a square peg in a round hole and making it fit with sheer determination and ingenuity. Most of the observers there probably have no idea the amount of work and thought that went into achieving these numbers since the VFR looks like a true sport bike to the uninitiated. But we do!
    I predict that your quest for speed will eventually lead you down the road of the supercharger or to even more radical weight loss efforts.....and a SC. :chaingun::chaingun::chaingun:

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks jethro!
    I think a forged R1 front wheel is next on the list. It seems like the easiest and most beneficial thing I can do at the moment. I just need to start trolling the R1 forums.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    One of the crunched numbers that's popular is the 0-60 time. Might be fun to figure that out too.

Are you guys allowed to use high octane gas to stay in your class?

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah I can use any fuel, as there are no specific rules to that. I think in the next month, I am going to get a custom dyno tune. It would be really cool to do a tune for race gas and a tune for pump gas!

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Strap the front down and move your wheel back as far as you can.

9. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I've been strapping the front end down for a while, but just did that trick with the rear wheel on that last run. It definitely helped, but I still couldn't launch as hard as I would like to. Maybe the one down three up sprocket kit is just too much. I'm not sure if I should try a one down with standard rear next time. I do want to max the preload out in the rear shock though, as I have been running the rear preload at full soft. I need to get a new fully adjustable shock back there so I can add some compression. I think if I can add more compression and preload the bike won't squat as much and that could help. It might hurt traction but it is worth trying.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  10. nih

nih New Member

Map
    i see you have Rapid Bike 2 fuel/ignition instead of power commander, no experience with either.

The PCV allows you to set fuel for each gear at different RPM. I have the software and have been collecting some maps, i haven't found one that has settings for each gear in the map but I assume if you do dyno you can create one.

also PCV you can have multiple maps so you could switch to drag map and back to cruising map with additional switch installed or by hooking up laptop to PCV.

Just curious, what gear do you get up to in 1/4 mile?

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    The problem with the power commander is that there is no ignition support for the Vfr. I am getting into fifth gear toward the end.

12. Badbilly

United States
    Norcalboy likes straps and other stuff like that. Probably has one of those chains ordered too.

13. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Loll
    Don't forget the leathers

14. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Candy looking good. Though not to bust your balls, but you gotta work on your reaction times. Competition here is you gotta have a .030 or better to be competitive. That's with cars though. Haven't seen what the local bikes are doing.

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Haha r/t doesn't count for anything here. I usually leave when I see the other bike jump.

16. Badbilly

United States
  17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Loooooool

18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Here are some pics from Friday night. Those wheelie pics obviously weren't the 10.8 second runs.... lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  19. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    So your not bracket racing? Just running down the strip I take it. Reaction times in bracket racing will make or break who wins at least half of the time. Same goes for Pro classes.

20. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Well done, Candy! But are you SURE you know how to handle a twisty? :wink: