Just picked up a (85') VF1000 engine for my (85") VF700F - Now what external parts fit?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by 4a15, Jun 10, 2012.

1. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    I just took a chance on an e-bay 1985 VF1000 engine from a wrecked bike, paid $100.00. I was worried about the cams when I picked it up. The guy was only able to tell me it had "low miles" - whatever that meant. I was nervous until I got it home and removed the valve covers. No sign of any valve wear and it's very clean inside. Pulled the plugs and they look good. Turns over with a wrench and no water in the oil.

Now my problem: It does not have a starter or the carbs. Will the vf700 starter work? How about the carbs? I bought carbs from the seller because he told me they were originally on that engine. Problem is the carbs are frozen with varnish and they look like they have been sitting outside next to the garage for the past few years. I took his carbs with the intention of robbing the needles and jets and installing them on the VF700 carbs- which I would use. I could spend the time cleaning the new carbs but using my current ones would be so much easier. Anyone know if that would work or is the carb bore size different? I have looked it up and noticed the factory carb part numbers are different between the different size bikes, but it looks like the only difference is the needles and jets.

I plan on using my current ignition and electrical system with the new engine. Any problems with that?

I'm sure I am not the first one to do this so if anyone has any links to projects like this, I welcome them.

2. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    As Far a a know, the 1000 is the same externally as the 750 with only a few minor differances, so I am of the mind that the starter should work, as for the ignition system? The carbs should work as long as the carb body is the same & like you said Swap the Jets, Needles, & Seats.
    Good-Luck!

3. orion3814

orion3814 New Member

Hay is that a 1kr engine. If so how is the tranny if its in good shape I would toss u 200 bud for it

4. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    That's the type of swap I've wanted to do. I'll have to stay in touch with you.

Now I don't think the carbs will work as is. I had a V65 in my garage for a couple of weeks. I started measuring different bits and pieces. Granted it's a Magna motor and it was a 1100cc. I'm assuming the 1000 and 1100 motors are the same except bore. I found, compared to my 750 that the motor is about 1/2"-3/4" taller and about 1/2" wider heads. Which makes the intake ports wider apart than the 750. The 1000 had 36mm carbs the 700/750 have 34mm carbs. So a direct swap I don't think will work. A little modification may be needed.

I've read/heard that a 1000 motor in a 750 frame is tight especially trying to get rear valve cover off. That the engine has to be dropped in the back. My thinking is using a Magna split(two piece) rear cover may do the trick. I've also read that the 1000 engine was 1/2" lower in the frame. That's why the 1000's didn't handle as well because of to much weight below CG. I'd like to find out if they did that with the frame by lowering the bottom rail or in the engine mounting areas. Can you start taking measurements of both motors and post your findings? That would be in height, width at heads, mount locations etc?

I've also thought about using a 1000 crank/rods in a 750. Though I did run across an article that stated the 1000 had larger main bearings. Don't know what they actually mean larger and if it was both the 1000F and R motors. That would be interesting to find out also. Keep us or me posted on the swap and the differences or gotchas you run in to. Thanks

5. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, don't plan on selling this engine. This is the first complete 1k engine I have found. The best part is the more I dig into it, the more I believe it really did have low millage. The gaskets are still soft!! Good luck with your search, seems like all the engines out there have been taken apart to sell as pieces.

6. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    From what I do know, the 1k will bolt into the frame of the vf700 / vf750 - should be no clearance problems. This engine has chain driven cams so the heads are not larger like the cam driven head.

I just found an old post by Jaime Daughtry that stated the exhaust will not work - crap.

7. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    ???????????

Chain driven cams in the 85 VF1000R? Don't think so.

BTW, do a search for "The Gimp". Its just what you're doing.

On the exhaust. Get you a header kit from a exhaust company and cut, tack, and weld up you're own. Its what the header manufacturers do, very little science for them, but there is science involved if you want to read up on it.

Sorry, just reread the post. Are we even talking about an R engine, or an F engine. Chain drive or shaft drive?

Larry
    VFRrider

8. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    It's a chain drive, and the cams are chain driven. I know it's a 1 liter due to the stamping on the cylinder. I have taken the guys word that its from an 85' Interceptor.

As for a heads up on "The Gimp", thanks. I will check it out.

9. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    OK, I am so screwed up.

Yup, chain drive and cams.

Since these 2 (R and F) are simialr sizes, and I know the R will fit the Interceptor frame, it SHOULD fit.

Larry

10. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone have a good link to "The Gimp". Everything I found is a dead end.

11. orion3814

orion3814 New Member

If the cams are chain driven then it is a f what color are the valve covers

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  12. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    Valve covers are bare aluminum in color. Besides a wider clutch cover, the engine looks just like my 85' VF700f.

13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

The Magna and Saber engines are all chain driven cams. Yes double check the head size. The 1000F will be bigger simply because of the bores and larger combustion chamber for those bores. Seeing the Magna, Saber and Interceptor heads should be the same for each size motor. Though different between different sized engines. That's why the exhaust won't work. Ports are not only larger but a tad farther apart.

Get your ruler out and check.

From photo's I have of the 1000F motor and compared it to my 750. You'll find there will be a couple of mounting points that won't exactly line up. If I remember I think one was the right side at the head (triangle mount) and may be the front right at case needs modified.(narrower) I'd have to go back and look again to be sure. Either way you'll find out.

Good luck with it. Keep us up to date on the project.

14. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    Is the only difference in exhaust is the rear is a little farther apart? Well instead of buying a new exhaust or building a custom header, I'll just heat up the tubes and give them a little tweeken

15. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Better check the diameter at the head first. I think the 1000 exhaust port is larger in diameter compared to the 750. I don't think the 750 tube will seal it.

Check the engine number on the case right by #3 cylinder. If it's an F it should start with SC15xxxxxxx

16. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, the serial number starts with "SC15".

I have been going over the engine real close. I just noticed the water tubes run to different locations compared to my 700. Is the water flow the same direction? Could I just swap over my old tubes to the new engine so my current cooling system will work? In other words, does anyone know if the clamp locations are identical? I hope this thing does not ending up looking like frankenstien. I have not pulled the original engine yet. I want everything ready so I will have a very small down time - it's been awesome riding weather.

17. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I believe the water hose coming out of the pump ran in to the removable frame rail on a 1000. Then from top of rail to rad. You can run water pump out like on the 700. You may have to get a different hose or swap water pump cover if the out put angle is different from the 700. Hopefully the 700 double rads will be enough to cool the motor. You may want to add a switch to fan ground so you can turn them on manually.

Definitely double check measurements of all mounting lugs, height of engine and any tight spots in the frame. Things like air box to use. I'm assuming that both 1000 and 750 frames aer the same. But I don't think they are in all aspects. It would be nice to be able to measure both side by side. Though you can do that with the engines. Keep us posted.

18. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    You're looking for this guy, who did "The Gimp"

Welcome to Tim Cameron Design

Pics and details are long gone off his site but from what I remember it was a real PIA.

[​IMG]

The '84 US 1000F had chain driven cams, the '85-'86 1KR was gear driven. The world bike '84 1KR had chain cams but you won't find it in North America. All the F bikes from '84 on were chain driven, sold in Europe through '87 or '88 as the F, F2, etc.

19. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    Just realized the clutch push rod is missing from the vf1000f engine. Does anyone know if the VF700f push rod is the same?

20. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    I originally decided I was going to wait until winter (the end of the riding season) before I disassembled a perfectly running bike (not to mention my only bike).... Who in their right mind would do that?

Well... Here's what $100 will buy you
    Photo-0083.jpg
    Photo-0087.jpg

I dug into the engine a little bit and everything looks clean inside. Cams look good, no chunks in the bottom. Plugs look good. I even spun the engine with a wrench and compression felt good. Felt tight, so I got excited.

I sandblasted the engine and repainted it. I had not removed all the masking when I took this photo, however I decided to paint the valve covers.
    Photo-0003.jpg

And this is the carbs after the Pine-Sol soak for 48 hours. They are covered in oil pending a proper redneck style carb cleaning (carb spray and wire poken).
    Photo-0014.jpg

Yep it fit in the frame just fine. My wife helped get the original engine out, but I did not want to wait for help so I put the new one in by myself using a car jack.
    Photo-0015.jpg
    Photo-0016.jpg

I discovered the clutch pushrod for the vf1000 is about an inch longer than the vf700 (approx - did not measure). The starter fit just fine - hopefully the guts of the starter are the same or this ones going to lug with the extra load from the bigger engine.

I did hit a bit of a snag. The exhaust is smaller for the vf700. The bolt studs are a few mm farther apart on the VF1000. This was not a problem. I machined the holes (bench vice and power drill) on the aluminum header blocks to open them up a bit. The next part I'm not to sure of. The tubing, and the block of metal that buts up against the head is smaller than the VF1000's. From eyeballing using one of the gasket from the VF700, my exhaust header, and the head of the VF1000, it looks like it will cover enough of the head to seal. Only problem is I needed to eyeball the header pipe to keep it centered as I tightened the bolts down. I believe I got it. Worst case scenario is it leaks a little bit, and I remove muffler baffling to cover the sound!

The carbs are bigger for the VF1000 so the boots from the VF700 will not work. Bikebandit.com had them for about $10 each. They are on there way.

The top water tube on the heads will work from the VF700. Problem is I have not found the right size o-ring yet. Anyone know the right size off the top of their head?

Earlier I made a post that a VF700 will wheelie. I discovered this when I was almost ass ended a few weeks ago. Well, I believe this engine swap may help make a VF700 wheelie also!!!