just joined up

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by netbikes, Jun 24, 2008.

1. netbikes

netbikes New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi guys, just joined the forum and seems like there are a bunch of Australians here, which make me wonder why there is not such a board on Australian servers, oh well not to worry.

Anyways I live in bris and currently have 2 vfr's here, neither of which are mine.
    One is a 88 model that a friend has given me on a 99 year free lease sort of thing and the other is from a local shop,a 86 import. I was considering buying it as price is "right" but it has a serious tappet type rattle, quite LOUD, so i bought it home to invesgiate before handing over any dollars. So far i have pulled the top off the rear cylinders to check the clearances, they were a little wide so reset them however no improvment in the noise. Today I removed the clutch cover to see if anything was suspect there but that all seem good and tight.

The rattle seems to come from everywhere so i can't pinpoint a area. Bike only has 55 thou K up, non smoker and still hauls arse, just all that noise, any thoughts here.

The one I really want is a 91/2 with the single sided swing arm, but i guess I don't have to tell you guys that :smile:

Ok all fo rthis post, looking forward to replys.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Welcome to the forum mate! Glad to have ya! Lots 'O aussies on here! Look at the member map (under community up top to see all who we have) up top, or look at this thread if you already have not.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/australia-new-zealand/5188-lets-make-list-aus-members-here.html

Some other members with an '86 might have some suggestions as to what is the tapping noise. Sounds like it would be coming from the valvetrain I would guess. Did you check all of the tolerances on the valves/valvetrain when you pulled it apart?

Check out this thread as well for some input.

Odd Tappet Sound

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the group. Good luck with your decision and I hope it works no matter which one you choose. As for your taping noise, for that year model I can't really say because I have no experience with them.

4. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard. We noticed the number of Aussie owners too, you are all included in VFRWorld.
    Now you can tap into VFR brains from around the world to get your questions answered.

5. Vee-Ef-Ar

Vee-Ef-Ar New Member

Gday mate, fellow Brisbanite, welcome aboard.

6. crgvfr800

crgvfr800 New Member

Map
    Welcome Aboard

7. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    Welcome 'Net',just in aus n Nz,last march.Iwas blown away at all the sportbikes.Y'all seem to have alot fun down there!The lack of the chopper/posers was refreshing,I actually had a poser last week tell me to get a 'real bike'!I just laughed n shook my head,what a buffoon.Take care mate

8. netbikes

netbikes New Member

Australia
    Map
    thanks for all the welcome's guy's, I have decided against the rattly 86 model, I prefer to get a 91 to 93 model so will wait till a good'en comes along. I still have a 88 model I am free to ride till whenever:)

9. netbikes

netbikes New Member

Australia
    Map
    I'd like to do a bit of time on a bike over your way too one day but i doubt it will ever happen, every time I save a bit of money I seem to get another bike in the garage:). And yes we have fun, well it is Australia:)

If your ever back this way be sure to contact a few of us, I usually have one spare bike hanging around.

10. Evo

Evo New Member

Hey all I just joined up as well. I live south of the Shire, Helensburgh, hope to see some of you on the road.:strong:

11. netbikes

netbikes New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi Evo, welcome aboard,

12. MLC?

MLC? New Member

Map
    Welcome from MLC? in Newcastle try OZVFR website there is a bit of chat and stuff there but not as much as here

13. Mr Risky

Mr Risky New Member

Hello everyone in Aust... I just joined woo hoo!!! So 1st question from me and i'm sure i'll have heaps more... Has anyone purchased a rear hugger for their 2001 VFR. where from and what cost? PS was it worth it?

14. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    I got a rear hugger a few years ago from Simpson Detour manufacturers of Red fox in the U.K. It was part of a group buy organised on the OZVFR ( OzVFR › News ) mailing list.

My hugger broke after a while, but other people who bought one haven't reported any problems.

I ended up scoring a hugger for free :wink: from my local dealer. Someone had bought it & then botched the install & returned it to the dealer...