Just brought it home.

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by dudeonit, Aug 30, 2012.

1. dudeonit

dudeonit New Member

United States
    Map
    Picked up the DCT yesterday. Ran it around a little. D mode works for just putting around and saving fuel. S mode is the shit. Came off an 04 800 and what a difference. No wonder they added traction control. The downshift button is a little hidden.Overall the bike does not feel any heavier than the 04 and is much more comfortable. Just gotta stop reaching for that clutch lever.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    congrats on the new bike! I hadn't seen it in blue yet.

I would love to test ride a DCT!

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Congratulation on your new ride, blue is look good, like euro......:thumb:

4. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    The blue does look real good. For some reason the red just looks ugly on that bike. I have a red 98 so I like red but that blue makes me almost want one. But I'm going to have to wait about ten years until it gets into my price range. Or they make a sport version and I beg borrow or steal one. Just kidding

5. lshark

lshark New Member

have you ever seen a red one in person ???? mine gets complements everywhere i go...i love the way my red looks

6. dudeonit

dudeonit New Member

United States
    Map
    The blue is very nice and I have gotten a lot of complements @ work today. I had no choice of color. The 2010 red is not bad but if it came in candy blue and Italian red like my 04, I would pick the red. Twisties this W/E.

7. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I guess I should have said "I" think the red is ugly. Heck I don't like the 7th gen anyway but that blue and silver looks very nice. And yes I have seen the red in person and it didn't change my opinion of it . Sorry if that offends you. But congrats on the bike it looks real nice.

8. lshark

lshark New Member

it's just that the only people who think it's ugly are the one's who wish they had one....i have 15,000 miles on mine...it's a fantastic motorcycle

9. zedXmick

zedXmick New Member

Congrat's on the NEW ride!!! I like the blue....can't wait to see a blue in person. Best of luck on your new ride....yea I agree....S mode IS the shits!!

10. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

The blue is very sharp and it does sound like the '12 model got some nice upgrades. I think I'd definitely seize the opportunity if I had a chance to test ride a DCT. My '10 manual trans sure is clunky at parking lot speeds. Frankly, it makes some downright embarrassing noises if you're not on the throttle. Not rushing to trade in though. But congrats on the new bike...it's a stunner for sure.

Not sure if Bazazz is looking for a manual or a DCT, but a phone call might net you a free Z-FI and a custom map. Looks like you're in their neck of the woods.

Side note: I love the brick pavers in and around the driveway and walkway...nice touch!

11. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    Looks freakin killer man! Congrats!

12. dudeonit

dudeonit New Member

United States
    Map
    Moved my BrakeAway throttle control over. Had to fab a different bracket to make it work.

Love the bike. The D mode lets you cruise around and save gas but still have the power if you need it.

You can take manual control by downshifting a gear or 2 and nail it. The torque of this bike just pulls you through the corners and I actually like the way it handles in the corners better than the 04.

S mode just puts a big smile in my face.

Stock exhaust is too quiet. I am going to open it up or go aftermarket.

Did 120 miles yesterday and as I get more used to it, I am becoming a BIG fan of the DCT and the bike in general.

13. krazyderek

krazyderek New Member

Hopefully DCT catch's on and becomes standard, i don't think anyone enjoys (at least i don't) clutching and shifting down street with 5 street lights 100ft apart each, for those of us that commute on a dense stop and go route, the D mode would be a god send, but still having S mode, and the paddles themselves keeps the fun factor there when you're on a good road for it.

Is it like an automatic car where the bike will just gently start to coast forward if you ease off the brake? Has is stalled taking off from an uphill intersection if you don't give it enough gas or does the idle change in those situations?

14. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

To each his own. ALL my vehicles are manual trans and I like it that way. In fact, I don't even like the slipper clutch in the VFR, because when I want engine braking, I want engine braking! It helps me set up for a corner entrance. So I'm happy that you're happy with the DCT and I'd like to try one out for shits and giggles, but I'm not quite ready to give up my manual trans.

15. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    That's what the paddles are for, you don't have to give up your manual trans. Just trade the ability to clutch up wheelies for the auto mode allowing the freedom to text message.

16. dudeonit

dudeonit New Member

United States
    Map
    It just sits there until you give it gas. You maintain the bike with the brakes on the hill and let off the brake while giving it gas.

It has pretty good engine braking and upshifts and downshifts more aggressively in sport mode

17. KillJoy

KillJoy New Member

Map
    Another DCT rider chiming in!

I've had mine now for about 3 months and I'm liking it more and more every day. I've found that the S mode or manually shifting is the way to go in slow city traffic. D mode seems to be a bit too keen to upshift only to downshift again when coming to next traffic lights. It works fine for less congested areas thou.

I also find myself downshifting manually when coming to a stop. Just have to remember to click the A/M switch before taking off again carelessly :tongue:

18. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

But Mom, he touched me first!

19. krazyderek

krazyderek New Member

Right now i can only text on the highway :( i mean come on!!!!

The DCT sounds pretty nice, thanks for sharing guys, also, i like the blue more, but the red is still nice.

20. V4 Dude

V4 Dude New Member

Saw a blue one the other day at the local stealership, I always liked the original red but the blue was stunning. The red was on sale, a 2010 model marked down, the blue was a full price 2012 model.

Your VFR looks like a nice ride, I would love to test ride a VFR1200 manual or DCT, I'm not picky.

I think the 7th gen also looks very futuristic.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012