joshwku's 85 vf500f restoration

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by joshwku, Apr 9, 2013.

1. joshwku

joshwku New Member

Map
    I recently acquired what i thought to be a good deal on an 85 vf500f interceptor. Only known problem was not getting gas to the carbs. After a great deal of back tracking the problem i narrowed it to a problem with the petcock. Easy fix thanks to Jamie D. hooked the bike up via gravity feed and got her to start she would run but a little rough and tended to idle high compared to what most people stated they should idle out at once warm, mine was idling around 2800 rpm's i tried to take a trip around the block on her as i was over anxious to ride her. the clutch didnt work, she would stall everytime i let it out:mad: so i took time to check out the clutch system. found it had air in the lines. so i bled the system and had the clutch working great with the bike on the roll. went back to my previous hopes of riding her and found my self in the same predicament bike will do nothing but idle high. and as soon as you put it into gear and let out the clutch its like it bogs itself down until it kills its self. assuming it was the low jets i took the carbs off the bike and began a thorough cleaning of them. the bike will now idle at 1300 rpms but man is it rough and initial throttle is horrible. i can get the bike to roll out a little while running in gear but nothing close to being able to ride it. :confused: does anyone know what this problem would be? ( my assumption is i need to reclean the carbs? and have them synced?) any help will be appreciated i am wanting to have this up and running as i am having it painted by the end of the semester at the local auto body school if i can get it in by the end of the week. they have a shop fee of 25$ + materials:shocked:

i atatched a few pics of the bike from when i purchased it:cool:

Attached Files: