Jack of Two Trades: Combining computer help and a massage for the stress of it

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by michael, Feb 1, 2006.

1. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    David Hermele, 31, is a motorcycle-based massage therapist, but that's not the clever aspect of his conglomeration. He also fixes computers. So first he gets people bent over their work stations, then roars up on his futuristic yellow Honda to rub the knots out.

You only do house calls?

Yeah. I have no studio. It all comes with me.

What do you carry?

On the back of my bike is the rack that holds the massage table. It folds in two. I keep it in a dry bag because I do house calls throughout the year, rain or shine. Then on top of that I have a backpack with some sheets, oil and lotion, iPod and speakers.

What do you wear?

Usually I have a one-piece touring suit with armor in it.

What do you peel down to?

Some loose-fitting sweatpants or Thai fisherman pants.

Are people shocked when they open the door?

I think because this is San Francisco, most people say, "Wow, that's really cool. You came here on a motorcycle?" I haven't scared anyone yet.

Why the motorcycle?

There's crazy traffic everywhere. I know a lot of massage therapists who try doing house calls and they can't get parking and they're late for appointments. I usually give myself 15 minutes to get anywhere in the city.

Weaving in and out?

Conservatively, yeah. With the table on back, I can still get in between traffic.

Do you have a sign?

It's coming. Sometimes I put a little flag on the bike that says www.freestylemassage.com.

Freestyle massage?

I'm drawing massage from Thai, Swedish, a little bit of Chinese to form the session.What are the common symptoms?

There are a lot of tight shoulders from hunching over their computers. A lot of stress in the back.

What do you tell people you do?

Massage therapist and computer consultant.

How do the rates compare?

It's about the same. I do $75 an hour for massage and sort of a sliding scale for computers.

How does it break down?

About 50-50. It gives me a great feeling of balance.Do you travel outside San Francisco?

I go as far south as Burlingame. As far north as Mill Valley. As far east as Oakland, Berkeley.

How many clients?

I have a really small client base, around 40.

How do they find you?

Some people have pulled up to me on the street, realized that's a massage table on the back of my bike and asked me for a card. Sometimes I leave magnet cards on the gas tank of my bike.

Had any strange encounters making house calls?

Sometimes people misunderstand what a massage therapist's job is.

What is your description?

I provide relaxing therapeutic massage sessions for people to unwind. I don't provide sexual services.

Are these men or women who want extra service?

Both.

Where do they get that idea?

If you visit Craigslist and look in the massage section, you'll see a lot of stuff.

Does that give massage a bad name?

I think so. That's something else. It's not massage.

How long have you been doing this?

A year. I trained in Thailand. I was also a dive master. It was a dive/massage combo.

Who massages you after you've been riding that motorcycle?

There is a spa that I do computer work for on trade.

Has anyone copied your idea?

I think I'm the only person in the country who puts a massage table on the back of a motorcycle.

Link to original article in the San Francisco Chronicle
    Link to David's Website

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006