I've really screwed up this time

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by eddievalleytrailer, Mar 12, 2011.

1. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    It's been a while since I've been on here. I guess because I haven't been riding my VFR. I want to keep my RWB in PERFECT condition. So, I almost never ride it. For some reason I'm riding my V-Strom all the time. The RWB just sits in the corner of the garage covered up and on a battery tender. I do get it out every once in a while, ride it 20 or 30 miles just to keep everything up and running. Well, I put it up on the lift to give it a good waxing when I looked at the oil level. Oh no!!!! CLOUDY!!! It only has 3000 miles on it but has only had one...that's right, one oil change wayyyyy back at 600 miles. Since I rarely ride it, I totally forgot about the oil going bad even if it doesn't have a lot of miles on it. Now, should I drop the oil right now or get it good and hot before pulling the plug? It doesn't look like a milkshake but does have a few milky-looking swirls in it. It must have drawn moisture into the enging just sitting around all the time. Also, it's been son long since I changed it, does the right or left side plastic have to come off in order to get to the plug and filter?

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hehe. I usually try and drain it slightly warm but I don't think it makes a hella difference. Don't sweat it.

3. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Mine allways looks slightly cloudy/swirly when cold, and I ride the crap outta mine. This has been well discussed and it seems to be a common concern. Nothing to really worry about unless it is a milkshake. If you want to change the oil because of age and for your own peace of mind it won't hurt. I change my oil volcanicly hot whenever possible as I think it helps it flow out more and faster. Neither fairing need come off to get the filter, taking off the front fender plastic thingie behind the front tire will make it easier but it's not required.

4. Oldrider

Oldrider New Member

United States
    Map
    I would not warm it up just to change the oil, just let it drip out for a day or so when you change it. Yes, when hot, it does drain out better, but right now everything is in the pan anyway.

I change oil in all my bikes (and cars) at least twice a year, reguardless of how many miles they may have traveled. Just old school.

5. splitpin

splitpin New Member

I would drain cold, over a day or so as oldrider says, but then get it hot and do a 2nd change.
    Better safe than sorry I reckon. Maybe use cheap(er) oil on the 1st change?

(edit) And if an engine has been stood a while, the oil will have drained down, so crank the engine till the oil light goes out BEFORE firing her up.

6. firedawg1998

firedawg1998 New Member

Map
    I've always drained hot or at least warm, because of the internal clutch I always figure the warm moving oil with mix up any particals resting on the bottom of the pan from sittin over night. Any substantial clutch material or aluminum should have already been trapped by the filter.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Warmth lowers the viscosity. EVT lives in Tennessee so it's probably OK to drain that old oil without firing up the bike. Now if EVT lived in North Dakota or next door to Santa, IMO he should fire up the bike.

8. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I find it easier to pull the left plastic off when I change the oil. That way I can cover the header to keep the oil drips off of it when changing the filter.