Is the V4 VFR1200 a ticking time bomb that ultimately for big problems?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Berliner5000, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Berliner5000

Berliner5000 New Member

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81199-intake-valve-carbon-build-up/page-3

Is the Honda V4 of VFR1200 a ticking time bomb that ultimately for big problems - can ensure - through to the mortal danger? After M & R learned of charred valves and burned pistons, we wanted to get to the base. We started a 1,000-kilometer test drive (see also the report Resin Thuringian Forest in issue 05/15) and the result was so devastating that we simply have to report about it!
    [​IMG]

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Be careful of this site..It looks loaded with crapware.

3. Berliner5000

Berliner5000 New Member

Here comes an update for this thread - the story is not yet over. An independent expertise has been rised by the local court.
    Meanwhile I have bypassed the crankcase ventilation system to a small bottle underneath the seat.
    The mixture (oil and condense water) is seen here after 2.000 km. The engine is now running smoother.
    Good feeling that this mud canĀ“t settle on the vents anymore or in the combustion chamber:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greetings from Langenfeld, Germany
    Hans-Martin

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    have you heard of an "oil catch can"?

5. Badbilly

United States
    Harleydoods use Billy Beer cans.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    no-0ne MenTioNed the Stylish "duct" tape...Aufwiedersehen :loco: holy chit, I will never speak it

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Looks like some kind of sex toy, you will get BB excited-that's very dangerous.:nono:

8. Badbilly

United States
    I warned y'all aboot crapware. Now ya got Sowcrap too.

The engine problem may go here to a one in X number of bikes. I was charged with assembling a team to partially disassemble, repair then reassemble 161 250cc motocrossers that were unloaded at the Port of Seattle's Honda dock. Supervising was a Honda QC Engineer/Test Rider that was sent from Japan. One of the coolant channels in the engine was blocked with a tiny shard of alloy. The fix took seconds with a tool the guy from Japan brought. The shard fell into the pump housing after being gently eased away with the drift like tool. The engines were two stokes. Several other of the same bikes were on the same ship headed to Canada.

The question is, are the 1200 engines "time bombs" ? There may be some, but all of them? Naa..

BB buys nothing but sex toys made in the USA.

9. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    We're talking about a motorcycle hand-assembled in Japan by Honda. Have a little faith.

10. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map

I see where you are coming from Tyro:thumbsup: but unfortunately having looked back at his previous posts, its appears that Berliner encountered a serious problem with the 1200 he bought and is genuinely unhappy with whatever response he got from Honda/his dealer.

Given that experience, I would not be at all surprised if he now decides to abandon Honda completely and buys a replacement from another manufacturer. I really hope that he does not let his unhappy experience put him off motorcycling entirely.

I realise that in such unhappy circumstances, it may indeed be tempting to use posts on a public forum to try and secure a better outcome. Indeed in those circumstances I might be tempted to do the same.. But to attempt to argue that problems found in a hand full of vehicles suddenly implies that all 1200s are about to go bang and potentially kill their owners - rather damages any credibility.

In context I suspect that like most production line assembled vehicles, the VFR1200 models will have their fair share of the classic Friday afternoon production line models, and a bit like some VWs - some may not live up to their owners expectations!!!!!!

Since the model was launched, I have encountered many, very happy VFR1200 owners, so I rather doubt trying to scare off other potential customers for this bike is actually going to result in any better response from Honda - but hey ho it may be worth a try... good luck.

SkiMad

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    You should see the number of CBR 1000rr 2008 oil burning threads. It took Honda years to even admit there was a problem with one of their suppliers. It seemed to be hit and miss and the problem continued into the next year or 2. The bikes ran fine but if you flogged them they burned a lot of oil, had to really monitor it.

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    YOURE RIGHT ON THAT ONE. I know a girl that had one and the shop told her to keep an eye on the oil level, because it was low when they changed the oil for her. Long story short, she locked up the engine.

13. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    the 1200 has some many problems that the vfr 800 2006 doesn't have. If a bike can go 100,000 with randy beating on it passes the long term test. The bike wasn't made for carrying 1000 pds like a pack mule but it did. I bet the 1200 would blow up if Randy rode it:violin:

14. Badbilly

United States
    The major part of the problem is that Honda is not ever going to own up to anything but a recall by the government of wherever the flawed bikes were sold. On this one, the example is of course, the infamous R/R.

The first line of defense for Honda Inc. is the franchised dealer more than just a few of which are not the top notch dudes you'd want dating your sisters..

I think the tenor of the Berliner is that a shitload of the 1200 engines are prone to blowing. Unless some evidence is shown either for or against what we have is just one man's opinion.

Both empathy and sympathy go out to the guy. The bikes are not cheap and he didn't buy it to let it sit in a shop with a blown engine, that's for sure. To indict all the 1200s sold because one guy for whatever reason had his engine go South is a stretch. The question on the CBRs is the same. Did all of them blow or burn oil? We will never know for sure.

15. Badbilly

United States
    Well that makes all our arguments look like shit again.

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I don't know on the VFR but I do personalty know a lot of guys with oil burning CBR's and talked to a bunch more with the same problem. I think the story was (after a shit ton of dodging buy Honda and service departments) was a supplier of rings was the culprit. I know several guys that were pit bulls and ended up with new motors. Lots of letters and documentation. The engines all ran strong but burned a lot of oil. None blown that I know of.

17. Badbilly

United States
    Did Honda own up to the bad rings? Just think if that strategy had worked on those *&%%$ R/R's

The factory guy was a good dude. His next stop was Canada. I let him ride my Boxer.. With the Krauser stuff it puts out around 100 HP.

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    You are right this time, must be a first, I think Honda should hire randy to test out new Hondas, if he can't break it it passes, I am sure very few could pass.

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I don't think they owned up to anything. I talked to a guy last night that had an 08, his problem was Honda had a bunch of final drive gears that were not hardened properly leading to whining noise then failure. He got a new engine after a lopt of back and forth and said Honda still didn't make a statement about the gear problem but were no longer giving customers a hassle over the problem.

20. Badbilly

United States
    Many of the answers out of "Corporate Inc" put the answers by sleazy politicians to shame. I know a guy in Seattle who popped for a new Honda. It blew. It took him a year to get it fixed. Dumped it and bought a Moto-Guzzi.. The dealer is no longer in business.