Is one Radiator possible on a '84 700f?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Iospina, May 22, 2012.

1. Iospina

Iospina New Member

i'm trying to but the old lady on a bit of a diet and thought "can i get rid of this radiator? the bike won't be put through city driving, EVER. since i will be only using it for pleasure riding instead of commuting.

thanks in advanced all.

2. kweezy

kweezy New Member

Map
    I say NOOOOO WAAAAY in HEEEEEELLLLLLLL! Nothing boils it's coolant off like a vf700f! the radiators aren't nearly as efficient as modern ones on newer bikes. When I got my bike, There was a dent in the large radiator connection pipe. This caused enough blockage to cause it to boil it's coolant over and over. It damaged the radiator cap and that only made it worse. The solution was a new top radiator, cleaning the bottom radiator and a new radiator cap. It would often overheat in traffic, but also, it would overheat when I took trips to my summer home. Crusing the whole way 45-70 mph. Then when I got to the park, It is a 2 min ride in in 15 mph, and by the time I got to the house, the coolant was overflowing out the excess coolant tank. So even though you say you'll never do any city driving, a small traffic jam due to car accident, town stoplight, cop directing traffic, etc could have some unintended effects... (Carry some extra water!)

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    +1. Given the weight of the beast it is a little too little a little too late for a needed item. My pennies.

4. Iospina

Iospina New Member

Thanks both of you. i will without a doubt be keep both my rads on!

although i don't mean to beat a dead horse, but would the installation of a more modern radiator (of course it would be custom) be a possible solution? i know a guy that knows a guy that would be able to make the rad for me.

and feel free to shoot me down like a duck during season if i'm just being too stubborn!

5. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    The only heavy weight Item I know of on a 1st. Gen that could be ditched for weight savings & HP gains is the exhaust.
    But the Cost is prohibitive as the replacement exhaust would have to be a custom Titianium system!
    And if you can find a pair of Magnesium wheels, that would help.

6. Iospina

Iospina New Member

yea both of those are big ticket items that i don't have the money for at the time. i am replacing the exhaust with a custom setup though. just not Ti. I'm not too interested in gain hp, just losing some weight. i already took off the bars the hold the helmet lock/blinkers in the back, got smaller/lighter blinkers, and about 20lbs of dust and grim it had on it when first given to me. :cool:

7. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Ultimiately, If you aren't looking for HP gains then you wouldn't be trying to drop weight.
    You can argue fuel efficency but that falls under the same HP gains.

8. Iospina

Iospina New Member

yea you have a good point, i just want to feel the bike a bit lighter under me.

9. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    You can do what I did and put a smaller front sprocket on, that will cut a little weight.... Of course I contradicted myself by installing a larger (Heavier) rear sprocket on. :smile:

10. Iospina

Iospina New Member

haha i was thinking of getting a sprocket change but in the opposite (maybe even contraversial?) way. larger up front and smaller in the back since i won't be really beating it. if i want to beat around i have my zx7r for that. i know, not the best beater, but i am saving up for a rc51 for next year!