Is it possible bike runs better with a full tank of gas?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by JimHanus, Nov 4, 2015.

1. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    Bought a 5th gen 6 months ago with 43K miles on it. Runs great. Except it seemed to run a little rougher at low rpm with less gas in the tank. At first I thought it was my imagination. I usually fill it up every 100 miles or so and hadn't noticed it in a while. Put on 150 miles yesterday, everything is fine. Went out for a short ride today after making some suspension changes. As I was driving around the neighborhood in first/second gear, the bike definitely was not as smooth as usual with a full tank of fuel. I was wondering why if felt like it was running a little rougher, and realized I hadn't filled it up as usual (came home from a different direction so not past my regular gas station). Anyone else experience this? Possibly something to do with the fuel pump or filter? I'll know for sure when I fill it back up, but that won't be for several days at least.

Jim

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    interesting, what I notice more is that when the tank is almost empty the handing improves ten fold. doh!!! I'll have to pay more attention to this one.

3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    That's funny, I find the bike handles a lot better with a full tank.
    I've redone all my suspension, so I find that my front and rear height don't change with a full or low tank.
    But the front end loading changes a lot.
    The VFR doesn't load the front as much as a true sports bike, so a full tank seems to put the weight bias towards the front wheel which gives you a lot more feel and turn in.
    However, engine performance should not change at all.
    Might be a fuel filter in need of replacement, or a weak fuel pump.

4. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    You should have a peek in the tank, when it is low. There may be some contaminants in there, that don't come into play until they get concentrated, at the lower level.

5. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    It's not a big difference, it's like if you got a tank of bad fuel. Maybe if I have time I'll just run it down as low as possible to empty and pull the fuel pump. Can the pump be pulled out enough to inspect it without removing the fuel lines?

6. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    maybe you got water in there, techron and dry gas with a dash of marina sta is what you need, check your airbox for chipmunks too.

7. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    Tried Seafoam, I'll see if it makes a difference before I fill up. I looked in the tank as much as I could through the filler and don't see any contaminants, rust, etc. Looks shiny and spotless.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Take a few minutes to read some posts by SOW. He will have you dumping all manner of things into your lube oil, fuel tank, and possibly trying to sell you cat meat or semi-hourly sessions with some really ugly shemales.

Run your tank nearly dry and siphon out the rest. At least pull the filter and inspect it. It may have done it's job and needs replacing. Try half a tank of gas to see if the condition repeats. If so top up the tank and see if this improves the condition.

9. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    I have ordered a fuel filter, should be here next week. Does the fuel system need to be depressurized to change just the filter?

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    As you can see BB likes insult everyone and eats rotten dead animals that are run over after not stopping at his bridge, I never seen one pic of the bike he stole or any pics at all-he is a very sick useless troll.

11. Badbilly

United States
    Your shemales are ugly. 38D boobs and five o'clock shadow tell no lies. The mach 1 91 is well represented in fact, legend and pictorially. As to your cat meat sales, if you are insulted then so be it.

12. Badbilly

United States
    Check the archives for what to do on your particular bike by downloading the appropriate service manual.

The more information in the questions here serve to result in better answers. Lots of very savvy folks here in many areas of expertise. Not including SOW who is the antithesis of court jester.

13. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with checking the filter. I have in the past tried inumerous brands of fuel injection cleaner of the years, including Seafoam, STP, on and on... The only product I have had results with is the Red Line FI cleaner. This page http://injectorcleanerboss.com/ recommends Liquid Moly FI cleaner.

14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    At 43k the fuel filter should have already been changed twice !!

15. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Hi Jim, I'm pretty sure that you don't need to release pressure for this job. I've removed the high pressure fuel pipe to the fuel rails a couple of times and you'll lose a couple of teaspoons at most. Even if the pipe was full and at pressure, it's a liquid and won't expand far when the pressure is released. The fuel tank is perfectly liquid tight when flipped on its back, but the job is easier when the tank is mostly empty as it is lighter and you have less chance of a dribble coming out of the tank breather.

16. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    P1010258.jpg
    As you can See BB is insane, try this new marine fuel sta-it just came out with new tech and seafoam is good, techron is excellent cleaner too.:bluesbros:

17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map

I'm at 30K+ I must be behind too.

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Where is the fuel filter on a 2006 vfr

19. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Dur, yah listen to son of idiots, hell steer ya in the right direction. ..NOT.
    Im at 30500 and bike is flawless...lets all try 1.5 gallons at each fill up, maybe there's a remedy in there under some cat shit

20. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Another troll speaks, obviously insane Like BB Is too- see any white suits with butterfly nets lately? Or was that the cop in Illinois sorting cocaine on his desk.:eagerness: