Iron Butt on a 6th gen.

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Zoober, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Zoober

Zoober New Member

Going to try it, Chicago to Omaha, on my 07' RWB. Planned for the end of this month. Currently I have heli-bars (which are outstanding and should have done sooner), Sargent seat, and am working the bugs out on my AudioVox electronic cruise control.

I was told VFR's are excellent iron butt bikes, and after 30,000 miles of riding mine, I will soon find out!

Who here has done an Iron Butt on theirs? Planning on the Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours). Also, thoughts about the Iron Butt Association? Any snags while trying to certify a ride?

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wait for Randy to chime in....how many miles a day are you goin to do? Have 40 acres in Nabraska

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

3. Zoober

Zoober New Member

Thinking Omaha and back to Chicago. 24 hours to do 1000 miles. I have a couple buddies out there that I will try to catch a three or four hour nap before coming back to Chicago. I've ridden out there before and felt great. I usually get gas and chill out every 125 miles or so. This is when the bike wasn't as comfy BUT I did have a throttle locker which made all the difference in the world.

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I don't really think mileage is the best goal, I don't think I would like to push myself just to add a number. I think where your going is more important.

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Post pics and be safe

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    If Randy can do it I am sure you can too :rolleyes:

7. Zoober

Zoober New Member

Yeah I hear ya. If I thought this was completely unsafe I wouldn't consider it. I have gone pretty far on it, and, with ample break times it's manageable IMO.

8. Zoober

Zoober New Member

Who is this Randy I keep hearing about?!?! :D

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I think Randy doesn't care where he goes, I know I wouldn't want to follow him. He doesn't seem to know when to ask for directions.:doh:

10. Zoober

Zoober New Member

But isn't that why we ride? :p

11. Scubalong

United States
    Don't follow me I am LOST :pound:
    Getting lost is part of the Adventure

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Not , me I just added my tom tom gps to my tank bag, I would want to at least know around where I am, on a motorcycle you are at the extremes of the weather especially up here in maine that's why I added a big ZG touring windscreen, I like my heated grips too. And I am added oem saddlebags tomorrow, so I can store some stuff to help in bad weather. Its been really rainy here, at least tomorrow is going to be nice. Actually a cat is good for cold riding like putting a heater under the seat..

13. Zoober

Zoober New Member

I'm not above using a GPS 1402799030844.jpg

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Maybe somebody can figure out how this guy can get from Chicago to Omaha and back without adding some mileage. I suppose the odometer could be disabled and he can just fake it.

I hear there are Iron Butt certifications that look almost real at Harley botiques.

15. Badbilly

United States
    Check the Tom-Tom website for recalls on certain models. One dude electrocuted his cat by accident.

16. Scubalong

United States
    Dude are you watching Opera on the fly? :pound:

17. Badbilly

United States
    As much as they allow me. ;)

18. Zoober

Zoober New Member

Nah,catching up on my soaps

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I was not lost. I was exploring alternative destinations which makes the second part of your comment quite accurate. Truthfully, I think when I tried to make a custom route up to Minot ND, by selecting different intersections on my Garmin, I made a wrong selection once....maybe twice....then ended up riding all over hell's half acre. But having a good credit card and a working GPS, you may not always know where your are presently, but you can always find your way out.

Good luck on the 1000 mile attempt. It can be done. Myself and two others just completed it. Two of us were on 6th gens. It is a demanding ride, but if you get lots of rest leading up to it, then you should be able to accomplish that goal. I failed a bit in that respect. Had a few demanding things on my plate the week leading up to the ride so was not as rested as I would have liked to be.

As nice as it was having the company, you need to understand that the more people you travel with, the more you will get held up. All the 5 and 10 minute discussions do add up. Your best time will be done alone.

Hydration is huge on long rides. In warmer weather you will sweat a lot of water out of your system so you want to keep well hydrated. Coffee is great for the caffeine but is no good for water retention in your system, A little sea salt in your drinking water, not enough to taste salty, but enough to give the slightest hint of salt is what you are looking for. That replenishes the electrolytes in your system, the same what gator aid and other sprot drinks do without all that other crap they put in the sport drinks. BTW. Read the rules. Caffeine tablets are a no no from Iron Butt Association.

You can carry a couple energy drinks for a quick boost of energy if you need it. I basically fed myself water and had a big bag of hiker's mixed nuts, dried fruit and seeds. Not the best form of nutrition, but for the day, I was fine.

If you do not doddle along the way, you can make up enough time to have a couple 20 minute snoozes and still do the 1K miles.

Good luck.

20. Zoober

Zoober New Member

When I went out there the first time, it took me 9 hours one way. So, 9 out, nine back (roughly), I have six hours to play with. That's why I'm thinking of catching a nap before going back.

I will be going alone, I can't find anybody who wants to do this (gee, I wonder why).