iPhone question for the masses!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by GeorgiaRider, Sep 5, 2009.

1. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

Hey riders,

My question for you is: if you are using a GPS app on your iPhone, what do you think of it?

I'm trying to find a good GPS application for my iPhone and haven't found one I really like. Give me your feedback on what you use!

(I know, I know......I should buy a REAL GPS unit, and I will this winter, but with so many applications available on the iPhone, one of them has to be decent!)

Thanks everyone!

2. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

Bump!

So I take it no one is using GPS on an iPhone?

3. persing66

persing66 New Member

Map
    I just use google Maps which comes equiped already on the I phone, you can type any directions and you can use current location and it will locate you anywhere you are, thats my recommendation don't know what anybody else thinks

4. Shimano[XTR]

Shimano[XTR] New Member

I bought the Navigon GPS app for the iphone. I took it on a recent trip to California and it worked out great. It has about every function as my Tom Tom system has. It cost $69.99 on iTunes but it think it is worth it. Tom Tom also put out an app but it cost $99. Read the reviews for each and decide for youself. Currently I'm trying to put together a mounting setup for the iphone for the VFR. I have a Ram arm and I ordered a Ram ball that fits in the stem hole of the fork. I'll shoot a picture when I get it set up.

Hope this helps

Marc

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    i use motionX gps lite but not a whole bunch. it seems like a pretty decent app if you really want to use the iphone for gps, but I dont think it's as good as a real GPS as you said. it does let you listen to your itunes while you use the gps, though, and does speed, distance, etc etc...

6. Shimano[XTR]

Shimano[XTR] New Member

I also have motionx gps. I only use it for when I'm on the mountain bike trails to track to my course. It's unable to plug in an address to route to. You are only allowed input just coordinates or waypoints. Only the Navigon and the Tom Tom apps are like true "driving" gps thus they cost a bit more than the other "gps" apps on iTunes. Both allow to input an address and give turn by turn voice directions to that address. They will also allow you to search for different "point of interest" i.e. stores, resturants, hotels, gas stations and so on. And you can listen to your music at the same time. Google maps is kind of useless to use a gps since it does not give "live" turn by turn directions. AT&T also has a "free" mobile gps app but you would have to pay a monthly service fee of $9.99 a month which is kind of a rip off IMHO.

7. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the Navigon app and let you know what I think.
    Looking for an inexpensive solution for now before I buy a dedicated GPS, then I will have questions about which GPS to buy!! :thumbsup:

Ride safe!

8. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I use the App that came with the iphone. Of course the screen is pretty small, and can be hard to see in bright sun. I dont have the phone mounted on the bike. Nothing wrong with doing that if you want, I just pull over when I want to look at it. I use an App called Around Me that uses your Gps coordinates to tell you what businesses and services and such are nearby, it seems to work pretty well and updates regularly, but I havent really used it all that much. I have a dedicated handheld Gps, but I keep it loaded with lake and waterway maps, only because I havent felt the need to buy some more 100 dollar chips for it.

As for what GPS to buy, this may work for you: I went to the local Bass Pro Shop and spent an afternoon last year looking at all their GPS stuff, which is pretty extensive. that may give you a good idea of what's out there anyway.

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    aren't you afraid of it getting cracked? I won't even carry mine in my pocket. All I can think is when I'm barreling down a rocky trail is that thing would bounce off and break in a million pieces or fall down the cliff and I'd never find it...

Agreed.

10. Shimano[XTR]

Shimano[XTR] New Member

I keep my iPhone in my camelbak so little chance of it falling. I also have my iPhone in a Otterbox defender case for added protection. It has saved my iPhone from a few drops. Check it out here: otterbox.com

11. Shimano[XTR]

Shimano[XTR] New Member

Got my RAM stem mount from FedEx today and installed it on the VFR. I took the belt clip holder from my Otterbox defender case for the iPhone and rigged it to the RAM arm. Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]