Introduction and running light question

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by cecilio64, Nov 20, 2010.

1. cecilio64

cecilio64 New Member

Hi everybody. Wanted to introduce myself. I've been a member for quite a while now, but never posted. I bought a new '06 VFR in May of '07 in the US. Have loved it since day one! Thing is I moved to Spain a couple of months ago and brought it with me. I now need to make it "legal" for Spain. Not much to do, really. I need the signals to not be running lights (can't have forward facing yellow lights) and I need to add the position lights (which are missing on the US models). I've done research, in this forum and others, and have found wiring diagrams and a lot of info. I've found a US diagram and a EU diagram. There is only one wire running to each of the signals on my bike, plus the ground. It looks like the signal comes from a relay that sends lower voltage for running and a higher intermittent one for signaling. Does anyone know if I need to get a EU left hand switch and a EU front wiring harness? And will they work on my US model bike. It seems, from what I can tell, that the EU model doesn't have the same amount of relays and diodes as the US model. Can this be fixed without buying all the EU parts? I know I can install the position lights by tapping into the low beam power supply, but how do I disconnect the running lights without affecting the signals? Sorry for the long post and many thanks in advance for any light :wink: you can shed on my problem.

2. cecilio64

cecilio64 New Member

I've kept working on this and have cut the W/R wire and the Gr/R bypassing the Turn Signal Position Relay and spliced them together. This stops the running lights from being on and sends power to the switch, but the turn signals don't blink they just stay on. I took the turn signal relay from the hazard circuit (since I didn't have one laying around) and connected the orange (from the turn signal switch) and the orange/white (that goes to the bulb) and tried it. It worked, but the lights flash a bit too rapidly, IMO. Of course, I was using a flasher for four bulbs. If I install two relays (one for each side) does anyone see a possible problem with me bypassing the Turn Signal Position Relay? Are there different relays that will flash slower? I have to find out how to say Turn Signal Relay in Spanish so I can find them. Should I get a Honda flasher, a motorcycle specific one or if I can find one in an auto store will a car one work?

Thanks again..

3. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

as i understand the wiring, the relay has stdp contact that when not flashing send low voltage (6vdc) to the light, and on flashing just bypasses the resistor to give a full 12vdc pulse to the lamp, just cut the low voltage side from the relay and the light will be out and will flash normaly,

Suggestion, DO NOT CROSS WIRE TO EU SCHEMATICS! this will cause a huge headache to anybody working on this bike. just modify the US/can wiring to do as needed. I can on a PM basis help you through this as I have a 6thgen that I have been mod'ing (Quad highbeams with regular DRL/lows and other electrical mods not mentionable)

Zen

4. cecilio64

cecilio64 New Member

Thanks for the info and offer for help. The relay is for turn signals and position. There is a wire providing 12v to the relay then one that goes to the left hand switch supplying it with power. When the left or right signal is chosen this is sent through the orange (left) or light blue (right) wire BACK to the relay where it leaves through orange/white or light blue/white to the actual turn signal bulbs. There isn't a seperate low voltage wire. At the bulb there is only one power wire and one ground. With the original power coming to the relay bypassed the flasher part of the relay doesn't work. So, I've connected a flasher/realy inline on the power going to the LH switch and then spliced the orange and orange/white together and the light blue and light blue/white together. This completely solves the "position" light and turn signal problem. I've ordered Honda position lights that come inside the headlight housing and when they come I will install them and put the bike back together and go pass the technical inspection. I know this might cause a headache to someone else working on the bike, butI do most of the work and if I need to I can explain exactly what I've done. Besides looking at it, it is pretty simple to figure out. I'd be interested in hearing about other mods you've done, though.

Thanks

5. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    You mentioned Europe spec position lights. Are they separate bulbs in the headlight housing?