Interest in CF Fuel Tank, possibly other CF parts as well??

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by motovkom, Jul 16, 2012.

1. motovkom

motovkom New Member

Posted 2 minutes ago
    Hello to all,
    My name is Victor. I'm fairly new to VFRW (first post), but have had a 2 wheel addiction for a long time! I currently own 2 VFR's, a 5th gen and a 6th gen and am, as well as a few other bikes and am constantly exploring the limits of my motorcycling creativity!

I'm starting this post because I'd like to see if there would be any serious interest from VFR owners for a carbon fiber fuel tank. At times throughout this forum threads pop up about how to make our bikes go on a diet. Well CF would definitely be one way to seriously shed some lbs!! (not to mention the cool factor that goes along with CF). I've owned/ ridden a CF fuel tank equipped street bike, it's an unbelievable modification to make to a bike! All of that weight being removed from up high really makes a difference in how the bike feels!

A little about me and my background. I've been heavily involved in some high end fabrication projects over the years. I have a fairly extensive design, fabrication and machining background. As part of a couple of motorcycle projects I was involved with we went in a carbon fiber direction for full body work sets, as well as fuel tanks, with great success!

A good friend of mine who's been working in the aerospace industry for the last 10 years specificaly with CF has decided to strike out on his own and start a business. I'm trying to help him forward as well as lend my own experience to his endeavor. He really wants to break into the world of motorsports. I've been brainstorming with him for ideas on different products. One of these things that we've discussed would be making a drop in replacement fuel tank for the 6th gen VFR's. This would be a tank that would require no modifications to the bike to use, and would take advantage of all the stock hardware, fuel pump, FP mount plate, level gauge, gas cap, etc. A fuel safe resin will be used, as well as the inside of the tank would be lined to ensure a lifetime of trouble free use. The fuel capacity would remain essentially unchanged, though if there was enough interest to warrant it then an external shape reworking to add some capacity could be explored possibly.

We're targeted a base price of $1000 for a tank, and are looking to make at least ten of them to make the job profitable and therefore worth doing. There would ultimately be some finish options available that could potentially increase or decrease the price - primed/ ready to paint for those that don't need the CF look, just the weight savings, basic clearcoated finish, fancier weaves and CF fabric options - ultimately once the molds are completed then it's really up to the client as to what they want their tank to look like! These wouldn't be something "off the shelf" but rather an individual expression.

We're open to comments, opinions, suggestions... we're also open to the possibility of making other parts as well. Really there's not much in the way of boundaries here, just more along the lines of can enough be sold to warrant the time and effort!

So let us know what you think... any interest?

2. WetSpot

WetSpot New Member

Map
    I really like this idea, although I feel a bladder inside the carbon shell would be a better idea... Simple reason, CF is extremely rigid and won't dent like steel/plastic in a crash, last thing you need if you bin it is a fuel leak and potential fire that could have been avoided...

3. Sandalwood

Sandalwood New Member

United States
    Map
    I think there would certainly be some interest on that. The price point isn't horrible, and CF fuel tanks are quite a bit more common in Europe (they're extremely difficult to certify in the US). Off the top of my head I'm remembering that Bimota makes them as an option.

The RWB paint scheme of my bike would be a little tough to duplicate, but the asphalt black bikes would look amazing with a bare CF tank. Good luck with your venture!

4. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

I really like the idea Motovkom, the price looks good, but how much does a standard tank weigh & how heavy would the CF replacement be ? Any chance of a 5th gen tank ? If not I could stump up for a 6th gen as i know there is only a little fairing trimming required to make it fit a 5th gen ! It would go well with my carbon wheels :)

5. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    I would think replacing the 6th gen steal tail framing for carbon fiber would be a greater weight savings. I know, I know you won't be able to see it so no wow cool factor!

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The other obvious bits would be front fender and rear hugger. I do like the tank idea though it's not on my mod list but I hope you guys can get this going.

Cheers

7. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    Old thread I know but I'd be interested, currently trying to get as much CF on my bike as I can

8. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Carbon tanks aren't light, alloy is & much cheaper longer lasting & easier to repair if the need ever arises !