Insurance question

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by John carnahan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    History. I have my home/cars/trucks with Erie. My 2001 SV650S is with Progressive. $150/year liability and comp. w/$100 deductible. (72 years old, no accidents or tickets).

I go to get coverage on the 91VFR and the agent says Erie is now doing motorcycles. She comes-up with a $148/year premium for same coverage. Fine, I figure I'll put the SV on the Erie policy when its due in July.

Then Erie says TIME OUT, the 91VFR750 is a "Hi-performance" bike and the application must be "reviewed".

I want out of there with a insurance card to go to DMV so I can RIDE.....

So we try adding it to the Progressive policy. For same coverage she comes-up with and additional charge of $10 through next July to insure the VFR(that's right...TEN DOLLARS) Sounds good but she can't complete the policy. They keep saying I must get collision. She calls Progressive. In the end the computer program insists on the collision.

So she writes a policy with liability(WV min.), Comp.-100 deduct and collision-$1000 deduct on a value of $1500.

All that for an additional premium of $26 on the VFR through next July.

Sounded good to me but also seems crazy. Anyone else have similar experience?

Jack

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. Doug7200

Doug7200 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes

I have progressive for 3 bikes. When I added my VFR, they told me my costs would be an extra $2.00(2 Dollars!) every 6 months! This is for full coverage like my other bikes.

I also hit 2 deer on fathers day this year and which totaled my VFR - https://vfrworld.com/threads/likely-totaled-my-vfr-today.55516/.

Progressive was outstanding in every way - generous settlement, paid for new gear and I have a new VFR!

I guess they know you can only ride one at a time!

3. REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO New Member

United States
    Map
    I've had good luck with Progressive as well. About $340/yr to cover my wife and I across three bikes. I got a quote to remove one and add the VFR and it was something like $10 a year to go from cruiser to sport bike. I thought it was going to be WAY worse than that.

4. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks. It seems it was not a mistake. Good to know, less painful if I buy another bike. Of coarse that might be the straw that broke the camel's back.....
    Marcia has two horses and I have two airplanes and now two motorcycles......I could afford another bike but NOT another horse.

Thanks again,

Jack

PS Wow, quite a deer experience. We have a lot of deer here in WV. I got one with my car several years ago. I quit riding at night because of them.

One of my friends with an R1 hit one. Bike was "totaled", went tank first into a bank but he fixed it after he healed. He was also pretty messed-up, broken shoulder, leg and thankfully only relatively minor internal injuries. He rebuilt the bike but painted it rattle can flat black to make it easier to fix...just in case.

His very first ride after fixing/healing another small doe ran in front of him. This time he decided to put head down, "rip it" and try to remain in control. It worked(to a degree) he cut her in half. While it tucked the forks and got plastic the wheel still turned and he didn't go down. His dad wasn't too happy when he called and asked him to bring the truck but thankful not to have to go to the hospital. Sorry no pictures.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  5. REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO New Member

United States
    Map
    Ahhhh yes... Horses. My wife had 3 at one point. She doesn't have any currently but wants another. Me personally; I never got it. They are crazy expensive to keep and you are really limited in where you can go. Plus I decided after one took off with me on it that I'd rather not sit on top of something that can make decisions with or without my approval.

Deer here in VA are a problem too, but I think WV has it a bit worse. Like you I don't ride at night because of it. 81 and 64 are constantly littered with road kill. I drive those road to work daily and there's are always fresh bodies in AM. Deer, racoon, bear and all kinds of other stuff.

I'm not getting involved with that!

6. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    "....They are crazy expensive to keep and you are really limited in where you can go....."

Bingo, one of the reasons we haven't been able to go anywhere together for over 20 years. And why I'll never be able to convince her I need "my" FJR13oo....because I don't. She won't ride with me anyway since her ONE ride on the GSXR1000 14 years ago. I thought it was cool to be able to go from 60 to 135 and stop in front of the house in about 10 seconds.......she didn't even speak for 2 days.

Her mom is now with us and can't be left alone. This is Marcia's annual week end at the Fair Hill 3 day event(at least not riding) where she can see old friends back in Cecil Co. Md. So I get to stay with mom. Not a problem, I can fix a few details on the VFR. I cracked the tail cone leaning on it while sticking the strand into the rear hub.......oh well. Her mom is doing well at 90 and is a nice person but forgets things....especially things that might burn the house down..

Jack